User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

If I were you, I would not give up my day job in the hope of becoming a professional badminton player. But I would take the coaching!
    That is what I wanted to say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that makes me feel alot better, I didn't start training until 30 years old (last year)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    Winning every single game is not the whole part of enjoying a sport. Being competitive is fine, but losing a game here and there is very much acceptable, as long as you still have fun.

Being 24 is definitely not too late. I know quite a few decent club level player, who started in their late 30s or even 40s. After a few years of training, they all become very competitive club level players. And most important, they all seem enjoy what they are doing, even though none of them ever crowned to be a city/regional champion or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

No. You're never too old to take badminton seriously (unless a specific injury prevents you from playing).

It depends what you consider a "respectable standard". You're almost certainly too late to become world champion. You're very probably too late to become national champion. You're not too late to become county champion.

Thats fine with me as long as i have a goal to strive for!

If I were you, I would not give up my day job in the hope of becoming a professional badminton player. But I would take the coaching!

Ill be working full time, so badminton is always going to just be a passion

What really matters is whether you enjoy what you're doing.

Yes i certainly do! played a total of 18 hours last week alone.

You can set any goal you like, and a coach can help you in choosing your goals.

Why don't you try the coaching for a while, and then see whether you feel it's worth the money? You don't necessarily need coaching every week; you could save money by using several practice sessions between coaching sessions.

I think this is realistically my option as i cant afford lessons as often as id like to have them. I pay alot of money as it is on badminton

Your motivation sounds quite brittle. You're worrying about £25; you're worrying about being a "failure". Relax a bit! Let yourself enjoy the game, and enjoy getting better.

My motivation is very very strong, my financial situation is brittlle. I dont want to be wasting money for the sake of it.

If you can't derive satisfaction from the process of improving, then you have no chance of competitive success. You'll give up too easily.
    as above.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Exactly!! Max of three people to one coach for a 2hour session is my motto.

Echoing Gollum - you enjoy the game, right? You want to get better, right? You'd like to get better faster and really see how good you can get, right?

Oh so true

I decided to get coaching after the age of 30

Many of the things I learnt are in this very forum written down. Learning the proper footwork was a revelation, shifting balance, acceleration, timing, a proper cross court net shot destroying the opponent's rhythm....Damm, loved that time, wish I still could train now.

I like to think I got to a good level but most of all, I got a tremendous feeling of satisfaction.

One thing I have to differ with Gollum is that if you do get coaching, once a week is OK, same number of lessons but packed in half the time (i.e. twice per week) would be even better.

id have them 5 times a week if money allowed

I'd say at 24 years old, you can still get to county level. Very acheivable target but over a couple of years. See how it goes, you may even be faster!!

This will be my goal then
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    Winning every single game is not the whole part of enjoying a sport. Being competitive is fine, but losing a game here and there is very much acceptable, as long as you still have fun.

I do always have fun and as long as there is a half decent rally and i didnt play stupid shots then im happy.

Being 24 is definitely not too late. I know quite a few decent club level player, who started in their late 30s or even 40s. After a few years of training, they all become very competitive club level players. And most important, they all seem enjoy what they are doing, even though none of them ever crowned to be a city/regional champion or so.
    Oh, I agree with this. More coaching = better.

But coaching will be worthwhile even if you only have it occasionally:
    • Occasionally is much better than never
    • Regularly is better than occasionally
    • Twice a week is somewhat better than once a week
    $$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by dazednconfused View Post
    I was in the same situation as yourself a few years ago. Went back to college as a (semi) mature student at 23, joined the badminton club. Had only really played in PE class in school as a kid.

Started to take it really seriously, cos I loved it (and i'm generally a competitve person). Won a good few lower - mid level competitions and was recently invited to train/play with one of the county teams (i'm 26 now). I had a certain amount of coaching (with the coach in the uni team), read a lot of stuff from selected posters in the techniques forum on here (thanks Gollum), watched a lot of videos.. and i'm beating many of those people who've played since age 10 or whenever.

Playing with better players is very important. As is coaching for the technical part of it, especially to stop you from getting into bad habits.
    If there are like-minded people that you know who also want to improve to a high level it helps a lot. Helps to push you, keep you motivated etc. and for someone to do drills with when nobody else is interested.

Im a lone ranger when it comes to badminton but have made alot of friends in clubs. They all are social players though and not as serious as myself. I usually find something i love and go for it all out. This is what i want to do now im just a little skeptical as my finances are tight.

Thanks guys for all your replys. I tihnk i will take this coaching one lesson as a time, speak with my coach and find out where I can take my skills and see if he thinks i have what it takes. Im very happy now with playing just normal clubs, but progression is slow.

Once again thanks alot people, i will be trying a few test sessions, see how it goes and see if its for me.

Kind regards

Blundey

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh, I agree with this. More coaching = better.

But coaching will be worthwhile even if you only have it occasionally:
    • Occasionally is much better than never
    • Regularly is better than occasionally
    • Twice a week is somewhat better than once a week
    Let me clarify,

Twice a week for 26 weeks and then only playing games for 26 weeks would be better than once a week for 52 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would love to but simply cant afford 50 pounds a week plus already the costs i pay for the 2 clubs i play at

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blundey View Post
    would love to but simply cant afford 50 pounds a week plus already the costs i pay for the 2 clubs i play at
    I feel the same.

I'd like some coaching soon (if my shoulder would just stop hurting). But I'd probably have it only once every two weeks, or once a week at most.

It's not ideal, but it's a lot better than nothing. I have to be very careful with money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2