CPB Youth Badminton 2002

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by cHiCkEnNuGgEtS, May 19, 2002.

1. cHiCkEnNuGgEtS

cHiCkEnNuGgEtS Regular Member

Student-U of T
    I'm not to sure if this is where it should go. Please move if necessary.

I'd like to thank everyone here who came out to our tournament on Saturday. It was a great success, and I was awestruck by the turnout. We had about 85 teams, and 120+ people.

We did reach our goal of promoting badminton to both intermediate and beginner teams, as the majority of the teams were.

I would like to see this run about 3 to 4 times a year to promote badminton throughout the GTA area. The only similar events that I know of that cater to this targetted area is the Waterloo Survivor Series. Hopefully this will increase the popularity of badminton in the GTA.

The next targetted date for this event is the fall of 2002. If you are in the GTA Area, and would like to sponsor us, or just come out and help, please send me a message through this forum, or email me at curtis@astepatatime.com

Pictures will be posted at http://www.cpbmississauga.com/badminton when we have them digitized.

Congratulations to all the winners.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Curtis,
    Kudos and congratulations to a successful tourney. It's good to hear that there was a huge turnout.

Peter.

3. cHiCkEnNuGgEtS

Student-U of T
    Yes, what ended up happening was that we had the final A match playing by itself. When we had the mixed doubles final, the match was amazing. I thought I was dreaming, we had at least a hundred people in the gym watching intensely, shocked I was. The good thing was that the teams were all pretty evenly matched.

BTW, I know we had quite a few problems, notably the scheduling of the women's doubles at 4pm and the single quarter/semi final games to 15.

One good thing we learned (and this was by accident) was that we had 4 courts as practice courts (all day long), and people didn't hog them, but they got much more playing time than the simple two games. I think this was a real plus to attract intermediate and beginner teams. We had planned it as a sitting, hang-out area.

BTW, if anyone has any tips or ideas, it would be a great help if you can send them in to me, and I will see how well we can incorporate the idea.

-Curtis

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    congratulations! it is always encouraging to hear that people go out and organize such events. it really does help promote badminton!

5. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    So its mostly beginners and intermediate? I will go next time then for the experiance, if I find myself a partner that is. :)

Out of curiousity, who were the winners and what were the prizes?

6. cHiCkEnNuGgEtS

Student-U of T
    Most were intermediate, and there were quite a few competitive players. the quarter's, semi's and finals were all VERY good matches to watch. I thought the mixed A finals was very good. The players were very consistent. That was the most noticible part of it. (well, plus they hit really cool looking shots that made you go oooo, and aaaaaahhhh, you get the point..)

I would divide it like this:

5% Beginner
    80% Beginner/Intermediate to Intermediate/Advanced
    the rest: Competitive

It also depends a bit on the individual events.