Need! help about footwork!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

hi guys! im having problems and im quite confused about it.ok im left handed and left legged too..so this is the current footwork im doing, when im getting ready to retrieve a shuttle, my right leg is infront and my left leg is behind,(since im left handed), so when my opponent does a drop shot, i move my left leg infront first, then i do a chasse and then i reach the shuttle with the final position of my left leg infront and right leg behind. But well i was told that it was too slow, and i was taught to my right leg infront then lunge with my left leg and i the final position will be left leg infront, right leg behind.

So can anyone tell me which is better?:confused:cauz when i watch professionals play like bao chunlai and lin dan(both left handed), they move their left leg infront first and do a chasse..thx!

2. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

So can anyone tell me which is better?:confused:cauz when i watch professionals play like bao chunlai and lin dan(both left handed), they move their left leg infront first and do a chasse..thx![/quote]

This is better for you.

3. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Hey thx! that helps!:)

4. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
  5. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    Footwork is important ... i saw a player play with Sandles yesterday .. i was amaze that how light footed he is and his foot work is very good ...

i have a video .. but he is standing in the other court .. and the quality is not very clear but you can have a look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxQeh0SbSQ

By the way he is the guy with white sleeve in the opposite court.

6. Juanedbert

Juanedbert Regular Member

Student
    Haha.. dude, whoever told u ur footwork..is a bad coach..no offence.. firstly, for footwork,your opposite of ur 'executing hand' moves first. So if ur left handed, your right leg moves first forward. Always!! So when u move 2 steps forwards from the middle of the court, you reach the net area and ur left leg is infront, ur executing hand and leg is the same.Ie; left hand, left leg, when you reach the net. So from mid to net, diagonally is always two steps. That cannot be changed,its absolute.. Then move back to mid. From mid when u move backwards left, u can use ur left leg first, taking two jump steps,reaching the back,diagonally. Sadly i cant show u, id be happy two. For ur backhand, i cant tell u precisely how many steps, but you could try, if u get stuck feel free to ask me. Btw, from the back to the net, should take 3 steps. This is the most efficient.. i reckon.. correct me if u find better footwork.. haha have fun

7. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

:)
    But if you say the leg of ur executing hands moves first then hw come i see Bao ChunLai and Lin Dan moving their left leg first? they are both left handed. And as for right handed i see taufik hidayat and peter gade moving their right leg first?haha this footwork sure is confusing haha

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

9. Juanedbert

Juanedbert Regular Member

Student
    Well thats coz they can reach it, and when u notice those balls/birds/cocks arent too far for them. The are either not standing in the middle or the cock isnt right at the net and them right in the middle. They play a different level to us. After they hit, they recover, but not very often go back mid, because they're fast and recover quick. For us players, we still take a longer time to recover, therefore go to mid. However, if u notice, if they are from the middle, and the opponent do a netting, they still take two steps and end with the same hand and leg executing the shot. But, instead of going left right or right left, they hop forward. Its up 2 u.. or u can just launch for the ball if u think u can get it faster.

Lin vs Gade
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jkLIOLUmpsU
    Watch min 2:41 when gade is geting the ball from the mid, he takes two steps. Well if you dont believe thats fine, but you should always execute the shot with the same leg when hitting the ball.(infront) if you wanna take one step and u reckon u can do it and recover quickly, thats fine for u, the only reason i say two, coz ur non-executing leg wud be behind. Unlifted but bent. It should be at the ball of ur feet, so recovering back would be faster.

10. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

ok thx so there is no such thing as correct or wrong footwork??

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wrong. There are variations on correct footwork and there is plain just bad footwork.:)

12. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

ok ic..so is the one when i move my right leg first wrong? or the one when i move my left leg first and do a chasse? cauz i see alot of ppl doing the one where they move their opposite leg of their executing hand first and they say it is very fast. While on the other hand, pro ppl lyk bao chunlai move their left leg first and do a chasse. so im veri curious to noe y ppl dun wan to learn from bao chunlai or other professional players since their the best?

Oh ya i forgot to say that alot of ppl have been telling me dfferent things bout footwork so its confusing. n yes for the badminton bible they teach me this and when i go other websites they teach me tat..so its difficult to choose which to learn from haha:).

13. Superstar

Superstar Regular Member

chasse

My national team friend coash me to use chasse step to be swifter which in term give me better control of the game. You should get a good coach. footwork need to be smooth in your movement. I am using chasse step now and after much practices, it give me a better player now.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I will assume that that you played a high shot and the opponent is playing an overhead drop shot.

I will also assume that you are standing near the centre of the court.

I will assume you have played a fairly good high clear so that the opponent's feet are near the back line.

In order to reach the drop shot, I think you have got your legs the wrong way round for singles for a lefthander. (If doubles it is OK)

Change to left leg nearer to net than right leg. Step with right leg first towards shuttle (use a bigger step), then step with your left leg.

How big a step or wether to use chasse depends on much distance you need to cover to get to the shuttle.

Why do those top players do it differently? Well they train from very young almost everyday of the week. They learn to take the shortcuts because their legs have the strength and they are more experienced in judging the flight of the shuttle from the many hours of training.

15. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    ok what can i do .. to stop my bad habit ever time i return a shot in the back court i always don't move to the middle .. what can i do ... to make me move foward ....

16. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    Your problem could be shot preparation.

You must try to move behind the bird to make your backcourt shots so when you play a shot your forward momentum will naturally help you move forward.

17. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

oh ok so for me im learning to improve on my footwork now cauz i can't enter the school badminton team because they say my footwork is no gd but my strokes are better than quite alot of school team members. so should i use the chasse step? or should i take two steps to reach the front and move my right leg first and end wif my left leg?

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It depends on how far you have to move. Steps are faster for covering distance, but over a short distance chasses are faster.

The main pattern is a split drop and two steps, like this: split, right, left.

If you are closer to the front, or not moving as far, then a chasse may be better. The pattern: split, chasse.

19. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    sorry i still not really get it how to do chasse step drill is there i video ? i try searching in you tube ... all i find is a bunch of people dancing....

i am not very good at understand word like to see the action ... that really would help me

Thanks

20. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Hey thx for the advise! i just came back from a badminton game and yea i could reach the shuttle easier and faster haha!