Advice on Badminton Rackets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by debbiejallan, Jul 10, 2008.

1. debbiejallan

debbiejallan New Member

I am a beginner ie I've been playing on and off for years and haven't improved much. I bought a racket years ago ie a Carlton Powerflo Br (superlight Boron). I spent £60 on it 18 years ago. I can't get much power from it ie find it okay for playing up at the net and wondered if it is due to the racket being too light for a beginner. Today I tried a very cheap racket my friend bought ie a Yonex B600 DF and wonder why I find this racket so much easier to use than my good Carlton one. I can also get a much better smash shot with it. I was going to buy a new racket and wondered if anyone has any advice. The good shops keep telling me the ligher ones are more expensive and better, but I'm confused as I don't find my light one very good.

2. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    it's not what racket you have. it's how you use it. you can be good at any racket. this one guy at my school can kill anyone with the worse racket in the gym. he's weak but gets soo much power from the heaviest racket there was. he does have experience 9 years experience tho. if that cheap racket is nice and comfortable for you to use then get one and play a lot.

3. debbiejallan

debbiejallan New Member

Thanks CHOcobo. I must get practicing more. I think I grip the handle of the racket too tight probably.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It is probably the tension as well. If the tension is a big difference then your playing will differ.

5. debbiejallan

debbiejallan New Member

Thanks phandrew. I guess the tigher it's strung the faster the shuttle will move. I am thinking of going back to a drop in badminton club near me where some of the players are really quite good and I can ask them to have a game with my racket to see what they think of it. I have never had it re-strung since I got it but the strings do feel quite solid. There is also a good Sports shop near to me where I bought the racket all those years ago and I'm going to take it in there. I have to buy new grip tape for it so I can ask them about the weight of it etc. I was in that shop a few weeks ago and they told me some rackets are heavier at the top to give them more power. Mine just feels light all over.