Rotating Forearm Continuation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Jul 11, 2008.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I understand that you continue to pronate after you hit a shuttle. However, I've seen some professional player's pictures that show their forearm pronating so much that the face of the racket is facing the right side. Is it necessary to turn that much? Or is just not stopping the turn as you hit the shuttle sufficient? Please tell me if I'm not clear and you guys don't understand. Thank you.

2. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Speaking of this turn. I am so use to pronating that I cannot do the overhead slice dropshot where you turn your racket face inwards towards the left. Meaning an overhead drop towards the left. I can only to the overhead dropshot where it is sliced outwards, going to the right. If you understand, I'm use to turning inwards pronating, while the overhead dropshot going to the left requires a bit of supination.

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Think about it this way: you typically make contact with the shuttle with your wrist in a neutral position because it is strongest there. This means that you have about 50% of your available range of motion for accelerating to that position, then the remaining 50% for deceleration from that position.

Is your supination strength so much stronger than your pronation strength that you can decelerate with less ROM than you accelerate? Probably not. If you do, you're most likely using much less than your maximum power for the movement.

Actually, most players with good "wrist technique" will reach the end of their ROM for pronation, then have the racquet "snap" back when the excess energy is stored then released by the supination tendons.

4. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I'm sorry but I don't understand how this answer my question. Can you please explain?

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

When you do the "wrist snap" with enough force, your forearm will pronate fully (meaning racquet head pointing down, usually) and then "spring" back due to the excess energy.

6. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Oh. I understand it will inevitably spring back. However doesn't it still must reach a maximum turn first before it is snapped? Also do you know about anything I can do with the question about the overhead slice drop shot with racket slicing right brushing the birdie to the left?

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I agree, it does feel strange playing a slice at first, because you're used to pronating.

Part of the problem is the belief that, technically, the arm swing should be exactly the same for every shot until momentarily before impact. This is a good general idea, but it's not always true.

Just give yourself some time to practise the slice. :)

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    My crosscourt slice dropshots (from forehand corner, to backhand net corner) are pretty much done like this:

1) backswing
    2) forward swing, pronating
    3) stop pronating before the racquet face is pointing forwards (so the face is slightly tilted towards the left side)
    4) follow through to my left hip, so that the racquet is sorta brushing from left to right

Essentially, my arm is pretty much moving from right to left, with the face angled so that the drop will be played crosscourt. I know I need to improve it, because I dont' get the level of spin I get with my reverse slice dropshots, but it works right now as a crosscourt fast dropshot.