How do you do a faster and stronger smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by crimson_eyes13, Jul 14, 2008.

1. crimson_eyes13

crimson_eyes13 Regular Member

high school student
    I'm having a hard time doing a fast smash since my friends can easily return mine since it looks slow to me and it isn't that steep like theirs..
    :crying::crying::crying:please help!:crying::crying::crying:

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i think we have tonnes of posts regarding smashes. from flat to slice, from stand to jump.......
    can we know more what is your real problem?

3. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    me too..my smash sometimes not pass the net..my smash power hard to control.sometime my smash do not have power..can u help to advice me?

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You may be using your wrist too much or hitting the shuttlecock too late. Practice is probably the only solution to mastering something. Try hitting the shuttlecock gently and gradually build up on the speed and power.

5. clarence09

clarence09 Regular Member

I´ve got problem recently with smashes as well. the racquet that im really used on working with was broken a couple of weeks ago, which is a heavy head and it was like stiff or medium stiff. now im using my spare racquet which is an even bal. so do you think it really did affect my smashes or did i changed some ways of what im doing? im trying really to figure it out and im really thinking about it but i cant pinpoint on it as of now, and my smashes are getting terrible... i really have a good smashes before. what do you think?help me out.huhuhu

6. Juanedbert

Juanedbert Regular Member

Student
    Firstly, i think your technique for every racquet has to be the same. Doesnt matter what racket u use, ud adept to it in a matter of days. If not, u should check ur technique. But i agree with what Phandrew is saying, thats one of the best way to increase smash power. What you should really notice is ur feet, cock/bird, and position of ball. U cannot smash the ball once its already going down, thats why the clears national players do are really high, so that it would be more difficult to smash. For "noobs" like us, it would reduce the speed of our smashes by alot.
    1. The ball has to be infront of you, *something that most people forget (beginners/intermediate)*.
    2. Your feet has to be stable, bent. Smashing is the transferance of energy from your feet, pushing your momentum to your arms and giving an end flick with your wrist to give a 'kick'.
    And lastly hit it slowly first, dont do jump smashes, they are advanced level. Even if you are able to, it doesnt give u extra power yet, not until u master ground smashes. And do them slowly as Phandrew advised.. its good advise haha

7. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    great..thanks for the advise..i will practice more..i started the training too late..most of my bad habits i cannot change..always do the wrong things..