Arm swing (Badminton vs. Volleyball vs. Throwing Baseball)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Churchill, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Churchill

Churchill Regular Member

I play volleyball, softball, and badminton. I often find that playing one sport for very long (I play badminton most often now) throws off my technique for the other sports.

From the online videos I have watched, and the description from badminton bible, the proper steps to a good badminton smash involve the same steps as a good volleyball jump hit, except for the turning of the wrist at the end, which is where I am having trouble. I basically learned all of my arm strength through softball / baseball throwing, then learned the technique of a volleyball hit in high school, and now am trying to adapt this to badminton. I am having trouble with the wrist action at the end, since this is not as important in the other two sports... I often catch myself smashing in badminton with either very little or no wrist movement at the end of my shot, how did you train the last part of this smash? Are the any exercises you can do on your own to develop the muscle memory? My smash is fairly powerful (in comparison to those I play with) already, and I feel like this could really improve my game

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Drives. Lots of em. Good luck!

3. harrod93

harrod93 Regular Member

student
    like upstairs, do more drills on that, its the best way to develop muscle memory
    i was in the volleyball and badminton team for 5 yrs
    but i learnt badminton early, so i dont have ur wrist problem that u had
    however, coz i use my wrist in volleyball, i cant seem to control the direction properly....sigh

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The best way to fix your problem is to practice. If you see something is wrong then change that problem and move on from there.

5. ShadowFury

ShadowFury Regular Member

i went from tennis to badminton to tennis and now back again to badminton. It was horrible to get my feeling back. But after a few weeks, it felt normal.

6. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

The difference in baseball and volleyball is there is more flexion and extension of the wrist with less forearm rotation.

The best way to improve your technique is to break the shot down into smaller pieces. Start with half court stick smashes. hold the racket above your head, arm bent at elbow, relaxed grip, have someone feed you shuttles so that you're able to strike shuttle in front of you, squeeze the grip as you contact the shuttle. Dont follow through with your arm too much. This drill is about learning the zip area. This would be better done with a multi shuttle drill, feed, hit, let shuttle hit floor. Ready, feed, hit.
    You want to focus on grip tightening, short backswing, if any, and short follow through.