Misbun: Chong Wei now cool under pressure

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Loh, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Star Online
    Thursday July 17, 2008

By LIM TEIK HUAT

KUALA LUMPUR: The change in attitude of shuttler Lee Chong Wei is already a good reason for coach Misbun Sidek having the confidence that his charge will not let him down in the Beijing Olympics next month.

It has been more than a year since Chong Wei returned to train under Misbun and the Olympics will be the biggest test for the 26-year-old since his dismal failure in the World Championships in Bukit Jalil last year.

An out-of-sorts Chong Wei disappointed the home fans when he fell to a crushing defeat by Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round.

But Misbun said that Chong Wei's self-confidence had improved a lot and he was now better at handling pressure. And Misbun saw no need to make big changes to Chong Wei's game ahead of the Olympics.

“In the past, he would be afraid of certain players but he now talks with confidence on how he can beat them,” he said.

“He is coping well with the expectations that come with being rated as Malaysia's medal hope in the Olympics. He is more relaxed about it compared to previously when he tends to get agitated easily and lose focus.

“His commitment to training is also exemplary to the other singles players. I have not had any request from him coming to me with reasons to skip a training session.”

Chong Wei will be competing in his second Olympics as the second seed behind China's Lin Dan.

“Chong Wei is doing fine in his high intensity training mode before a competition. His fitness, movement and agility are at a good level,” said Misbun.

“In sparring, the intensity has increased with the juniors giving good commitment in the sessions and Chong Wei is taking it well. I will be tapering down the sessions when we go into centralised training camp with the rest of the Olympic team.”

Currently, women's singles player Wong Mew Choo also trains under Misbun at the Michael Badminton Academy in Bandar Puteri Puchong.

The Beijing-bound squad will begin training together at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara from Monday.

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

[​IMG]

Gold Medal around the neck is his way of saying it is his. :)

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Was with them during the training sessions. LCW was training well. His sparring partners was giving him a hard time. During one of the session break, one of the jr can't recall him name, gave an inspirational speech to LCW and Mew Choo. Everyone is working hard for them.
    Same goes to Choon Han and the doubles Department. All the sparring partners gave no mercy to them during the sessions.

Misbun is calm and look cool at the moment. He even asked me to give some pointers for him to coach LCW and feedback on how LCW did in the training sessions. HAhahah... i jokingly told him.. if i start giving pointers, you better give up your job. Of course i'm in the least position to give any pointers. Well there was some fun during the sessions too.

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I will be glad to impart some motivational bits to him so that he can use it on LCW. And no, I won't take over his job.:D

6. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Yes,after he fail in WC in KL.. I can see that LCW had improve over mental strength..

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..ants, you might've misheard Misbun. He probably was asking you if you'd like to join in the fun and be one of the sparring partners...;)
    ...i hope our George is as cool as, if not cooler than, Lee Chong Wei..:cool:;):cool:

#7 ctjcad, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  8. ants

ants Regular Member

HAha.. i did try before.. for fun. But i can only last few rounds. My body cant cope with the intensity. Instead of train .. i'm being trained and slaughtered. Thats it. But it was fun. I love the challenge.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    everybody is cool when not under stress;)
    Him playing simon santoso is not a stressful activity;)

everybody is looking forward to the LD vs LCW MS final
    it is also why OG tickets for the badminton event is the 1st sport event got sold out

#9 cooler, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..i thought the sparring players were playing together on 1 side of the court??..Misbun probably was looking at the sidelines, probably for a fresh body, and saw you all smiling & giggling and asked if you'd like to jump in??..;)
    ..will our C:cool::cool:L:cool:R keep our George C:cool::cool:L, when the heat rises??.. ;)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

georgie seem nice enough, i'll take it easy on him. I'll beat him last;)

12. ants

ants Regular Member

There are few courts. Not all in one court. For sparring sessions i only participated in those 3 vs 1 drills. Its not easy. I do smile most of the time watching them spar. Misbun always make fun of me. But in all seriousness.. i don't like to disturb them when they spar or train. Its their job u know.. have to be professional mah.
    I only join in when they are having fun and towards the end of the training session of the day. Furthermore i'm not a pro also.

13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    same thing as Pelatnas....beter to look at them only....hehe

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Cool enough to deliver Malaysia 1st Olympic gold??

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    let's cross our finger.....!!
    however, the chance is still there. whether he still calm from R1 till Final and get the GOLD.....;)

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

dont worry, chris..
    i will always cool untill the OG08.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:;);););)
    except if ...:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:..
    cooler, i will make u more cooler and cooler after the OG08 if lee chong wei wins the gold:cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:p
    if he doesnt, i will need u to cool me down.:D

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Just wonder how LD and his teammates are faring? Whether they are as cool as LCW? :cool:

And we haven't heard the latest from Korea including Li Mao's strategy against LYB.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i bet ld is hot and sweaty from intense training:p

19. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    if he is not sweaty then the coach wil defiitely gt a red face..i would like to see how is their training..

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

The thing is all the shuttlers who compete in Beijing have a chance. The difference is who has the overall package (technique, temperament, luck) to take it all the way and win that gold.