Backup Racket Help

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by iph03n1xi, Jul 16, 2008.

1. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

I currently have a Nanospeed 8000 right now, and I was hoping to pick up another racket. Every week I play for about 10 hours, but it's not quite competitive level. I'm more of a smasher, although I do go for the drop quite often as well. I usually play mens' doubles but I'm starting to get more into mens' singles. Durability is more important than performance, but performance is still something I value. I'm a teenager, so I'm hoping to spend less than $100 USD on this backup racket.

Thanks again.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Yonex rackets don't have durability as good as some other brands. Try looking at RSL and SOTX rackets. Woven 7 is under $100USD and performs extremely good.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I will suggest Cab30ms for single for it's versatility. Do a search on Cab30 and you will see the reason I recommend it.

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    yes, the Cab30ms is use by most grandmaster here in BC......:)

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Too bad i can't get it because there is no local shop selling it and i don't know any online shop selling it

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    :eek:
    i thought you are one of the elite....!

here too, very very difficult to get Cab30 :(

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Not elite enough to be elite in this forum.

I remembered mybadmintonstore selling it but they removed it.

8. silentheart

You can ask around and you might find a new one that is cheaper than online shop...

9. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    #9 alexkho, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  10. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

Hmm...I read somewhere that the NS8000 is Head Light / Even Balance, but the Cab30MS is Head Heavy Balance...wouldn't that be a bit...hard to adjust to?

11. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I think CAB30MS is even balance so you shouldn't have too much trouble changing over. The only major difference i know is that NS8000 is iso head while CAB30MS is oval head.

#11 phandrew, Jul 17, 2008
  12. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

So would a Cab30MS or a Woven 7 be a better fit for me?

EDIT: Forgot about the SOTX 8080+; how'd that go with me?

#12 iph03n1xi, Jul 17, 2008
  13. silentheart

1) Cab30ms is even balanced racquet. NS8K is a little more head light. So you will see power increase from the balance shift.
    2) If you feel you are more advance player, Cab30ms will be a fetter choice because you can hit harder and you will need better technique to use Cab30ms.

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I think W7 is more heavy head than CAB30MS

15. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

Is the Cab30MS old? Something from 2003 is still considered good, right?

And is the transition from iso to oval head hard to get used to?

16. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    Cab30MS is not really and old racket it's on of the best oval Racket money can buy . if you start using cab30ms because it's oval and the sweet spot is smaller . you start training yourself to hit the sweet spot when you master this any ISO or oval racket will be easy for you to hit the sweet spot

if you want to do a quick switch .. i would not then recomend the SOTX 8080+ it's a very light racket i bealive it's pretty even balance and it's very light headed ... so doing a smash meaning a faster swing to get the power out. ( wonderful defence racket and still have enough power to be a offence racket) great weapon for a double match up.

Cab30MS has all the power of a AT700 and the reflex of a NS8000 but it's a mid range
    which is great for training you to be ready for the more powerful AT900 or Arc saber

17. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

Hmmm...well, I'm pretty interested in the Cab30MS right now, but I was hoping to know more about the racket. Stuff like situations in which it is a good choice to use, the highlights of it, how it compares to my NS8000, etc...

18. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Cab30MS... because it's oval!

User & fan of the Cab30MS here. There are only 2 reasons I loved it so much.
    • it's oval
    • it's the best oval
    You learn a lot about your own shots from the cab30ms. I use the 3u version. It's a tad slower for defence compared to the ns9000s (never tried the 8k) but it more than makes up with the very solid feel when hitting the sweetspot like all ovals. The racket felt better (IMHO) at medium high tensions >23lbs -- I use 2 knots. It rewards flick type movements and reacts well to fingers & wrists inputs -- more tricky shots.

The cab30ms reminded me why I loved this game. Put another way, I stopped looking for better rackets after I found the cab30ms and just enjoy the game (9 months so far). I was flipping rackets every 3-4 months and never owned a second of the same racket. I have 3 cab30ms.

There are a good number of reviews in the review section for the cab30ms and in this forum (just search). For the price (if it's available), I doubt there is a better racket.

Warning: this user is bias toward ovals.

19. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

LOL

So would it be bad to string the Cab30MS at 23 lbs? That's what I currently have on my NS8k, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for 24 yet.

20. silentheart

Depend on the string. If you are using BG85 on the NS8K, you will find the feeling of control is just superb and sweet at 23lb. However, it will not give you the big boom sound on the smash. If you are using BG80 at 23lb right now, you will find the smash is more powerful and louder and the accuracy of landing your smash within 1" of side line is great. If you are using BG65, I will suggest you to use BG80 @22lb or 23lb for more power if you want more power. If you want more control, BG85 @23lb is the best.I use BG85 st 22x24lb because I do not snap string too often and the control when I slice the shuttle from the back court.