Service Rules - Racquet too high?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by collinsc, Jul 18, 2008.

1. collinsc

collinsc Regular Member

Hi

Is the service rule that your racquet must be below your wrist, ot below your waist!?

My partner keeps getting 'peulled up' for having his racquet too high!

Thanks

2. gary.lim

gary.lim Regular Member

IT
    I believe the rule is below your waist..

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It must be below your hip/waist. Anything above is considered illegal.

4. collinsc

collinsc Regular Member

Thanks guys - ill let the opposition know!

5. AGRogers

AGRogers Regular Member

Coach & irrelevant day job
    Just to note that for the purposes of badminton, your waist is defined as your lowest rib (and the whole of the shuttle needs to be beneath this)...

Also make sure the shaft of the racket is angled down...

6. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

In fact, the racquet position is not material. It is the position of the shuttle at the moment it is struck that is relevant under the laws. It (the shuttle) must be below the waist, which is defined as the level of the lowest rib.

7. Heong

Heong Regular Member

The racquet has to be below your lows rib bone, & the racquet head must point at a downward direction with your racquet head below your wrist when you serve.

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If the highest the shuttlecock can be during a serve then i have being serving too low.

9. 2ol2play

2ol2play Regular Member

retired
    CW is correct in that the racket angle is irrelevant now...Use your belly button as a guide for yourself...problem is that the rib is not seen and the position is left up to the Ref to determine...one Referee will let you serve high while another might fault your serve......This is one aspect of the game that needs change (again) but how to do it is beyond me:crying:Maybe a band attached to the shirt front by the Ref. before the match....who knows...fact is that it does not work that well now....

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    :D:D:D
    i got confuse................
    racket too high before hitting the shuttle?
    racket too high after hitting the shuttle?
    racket too high during hit the shuttle?

11. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    yeah it varrys from service judge to service judge at a provincal tournament i got called for my serve but at nationals i didnt get called at all differnet service judge different call. but yeah shuttle has to be struck below your lowest rib which some people have a really high waist so they are in luck but dont forget that it has to be one continous motion still.

12. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    It is always a bit complicated to find a wording of any rule which is not open to multiple interpretation, especially when that rule is intended to be read and used all over the world the choice of defining vocabulary is being restricted by limmitations of expected average command. Badminton Law is no exception to this phenomenon and that is precisely why discussions such as we are having now will always remain.

It is not quite the case that the racket angle is irrelevant as CW states and also Heong refers to a situation which no longer exitis.
    At the moment of impact the racketshaft should point in a downward direction starting from the server's hand. The difference whith the situation as it used to be is that the Law now no longer defines a required steepness of this angle. Before the change the angle was to be steep enough to keep the whole of the rackethead below the whole of the server's hand at the moment of impact and this definition of angle steepness has now been removed.

For the purpose of Badminton Law, the waist is defined as an imaginary line round the body level with the lowest part of the serve's bottom rib. It is indeed true that the shuttle must be struck below that line, but that is only a half truth. In fact the whole of the shuttle must be below that line at the moment of impact. The position of the racket in relation to a player's waist remains irrelevant as it has always been.

13. AGRogers

AGRogers Regular Member

Coach & irrelevant day job
    Until you actually get out on court and really think about it, this probably sounds a little silly, but I wholeheartedly agree!

Even having known this for some time it's quite difficult to convince myself I'm allowed to hold the shuttle at such a height... For me at least it almost feels cheating from my lowest rib (and I'm not the tallest feller in the world!)

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I tried serving at the highest legal area of the body and my serves were all crap. I guess i will have to move back down since i am use to it.

15. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    it takes practice, if you have the time grab some shuttles say 30 or 40 or even more and practice your serve and after a while you will start to see improvement.

16. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Nope, As Erik L says, the racket angle is not irrelevant -- it must be downward (but the rules no longer say how much). No mention of the wrist either to my knowledge.

17. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    True, but mind, the wrist has never been an item in definig the service movement. All references have always been to the server's hand an never to his wrist.

#17 Erik L., Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  18. Churchill

Churchill Regular Member

I also heard that where you grip the racket grip has to be physically higher than the highest part of the racket face, is this true?

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Some people put the racket upwards, angled or flat. I put it slightly angled.

20. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    This was never in the Laws, but it is the natural concequence of the rule as it used to be. Now this is no longer the case.