wrist snapping

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by swubaka1, Jul 19, 2008.

1. swubaka1

swubaka1 New Member

ive been having trouble clearing back to back and making a strong sound when i smash. my coach says its because im not snapping my wrist right

so i have 2 questions:

1. when you snap your wrist, is it an intentional thing like curlin a weight with your wrist, or a loose snapping motion like slapping someone?

2. what part of the swing do you snap your wrist?

2. pHysiX

pHysiX Regular Member

Law & Engineering, Legal Assistant
    the wrist snap is literally a snap. it's about accelerating the wrist as fast as possible along with the arm swing to generate power, not purely hitting the shuttle if you get what i mean. i guess in ur case it's like a slap but at a certain racquet angle, degree of power and at the correct moment (because wen you accelerate, the shuttle is only affected by wen you make contact with it, and you will immediately begin to slow down). also, the strong sound is also dependent on where you hit the shuttle on your racquet as well.

for me, i usually use as much snap as possible, i.e. i will raise my arm, snap then follow through with my entire arm but that purely depends on what kind of shot i play. i've been doing weight training and so i'm relying heavily on my wrist to do the work, forearm is just a backup energy source. but using the wrist that way requires extreme timing which is something i lack right now and also according to some physics, i am actually losing speed as well if it's purely wrist and no forearm action to back it. lol >.<

if you want results, try having a read of the thread about badminton mechanics because that is the true way of achieving power, and try asking your coach to do a demo where he hits a shuttle with pure wrist only. i mean he is a coach, so he should teach his students what they need to know.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11173

3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Remember the snap is not a typical snap. It must use the power of your forearm. To utilize your forearm you must turn your forearm into the shuttle, or in other words pronate.

To have a small idea of how pronating works take a look at the beginning of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTb...ctv-episode-9-part-2-2/U6fdLsrL-Uftf9IWWYlVTA

Notice how Zhao Jian Hua does not approach the shuttle with a flat surface until almost to the point of contact. It is confusing at first but you'll get the hang of it. I asked a million questions before I got it down. All through Badminton Central. Never from anybody else.

Please be aware that it is more than likely that there is something wrong with your timing and body swing that is creating a weak shot. Many factors contribute to a good shot, and is equally important as the pronation.

#3 KazeCloud, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  4. swubaka1

swubaka1 New Member

wow

wow! that video really helped kazecloud! just the first few seconds at least.

i watched the video and went through each of the steps of that smash and thought about what i wasnt doing. it turns out i wasnt drawing my arm back like a tennis serve.

i went to play today and my smash and clears were amazingly strong after doing that, i dunno if its pronation, but it works! also, my wrist was mainly used for guiding the shuttle downwards.

5. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Your welcome. =]