what kind of strength do we badminton players need?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Strength Endurance

The aim is to develop muscles that are able to to produce repeated contractions under conditions of fatigue. This requires high repetitions (15+) with light loading (30-50% of 1RM). Appropriate for field sports, rowing and martial arts.
    Power

The aim is to develop fast powerful movements. This requires medium number of repetitions (6-10) with medium to heavy loading (70-80% of 1RM). Appropriate for power based events e.g. sprinting, jumping (long jump), throwing (Javelin).
    Maximum strength

The aim is to enable maximum loads to be lifted. This requires low number of repetitions (1-5) with heavy loads (80-100% of 1RM). Appropriate for Power Lifting, Olympic Lifting, Shot Putt.

Ok so obviously is the maximum strength is out la cauz we dun nid it. so do we nid the strength endurance or power? if we nid power then shouldn't we do reverse wrist curls with a 10kg dumb bell for 6-10 rep? or if we nid the endurance then we should be doin weights that we can do abv 15 reps? is this correct? can someone help me?:)

2. saifii

saifii Regular Member

both as endurance is basic rquirement in most sports except wright lifting and some power behind ur smash cant be bad

3. charlie888

charlie888 Regular Member

computer engineer | Web designer
    for me the most important thing we need to develop is our leg power, so we can execute a proper, gracious and cuthroat footwork. so that means - bycycling, jogging, sqating and what else?

4. gary.lim

gary.lim Regular Member

IT
    I think that endurance muscle is more appropriate. Maximum weight, 6 sets of 10-15 reps. I think leg muscles are the most important because you can play a very strong game without smashing.

Smashing, to me, is secondary because you can't spend a whole game smashing or you will get tired very quickly.

5. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

so if my techniques are correct and i wan to increase my smashing power n my forearm power, which training is more suitable?:)

6. gary.lim

gary.lim Regular Member

IT
    It depends how you smash.. But both are important.. There's no point training one without the other.

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Explosive power, to do fast movements quickly, and endurance, which makes you able to keep doing these movements over a period of time.

8. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

haha ic does endurance training gives u this kinda explosive power and fast movements too?

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Not so obvious dude. Imagine you have two people - suppose they both weight 100 kg, but person #1, strong guy, can squat with 200 kg of added weight in addition to his own, while person #2, weakling, can only squat with 100 kg.

Suppose you give both these guys tests for strength endurance or power by asking them to squat repeatedly or jump with only their bodyweight. For this activity, strong guy will only need to exert 1/3 of his total strength for each strength endurance squat, or alternatively he can generate 3x his bodyweight in force for power purposes. Weakling, on the other hand, uses 1/2 of his total strength for each strength endurance squat, and can only generate 2x his own bodyweight in force.

The stronger guy will probably perform much, much better than the weaker guy in such a scenario.