Advice on Racket and Strings

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Dunk1970, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

Objective
    OK, I'm looking to buy a new racket and I've read and read and read. I have a good idea of what I'm looking for, but a few of my questions aren't covered here, hence this post.

Current Racket
    My current racket is a Carlton Aerogear 800FX and it will be 10 years old in November, costing me £60 at the time. The strings it came with broke the first time I used it and after a re-string, I've been using the same ones ever since. To be fair, I took a break from playing of 6 years, so it's only taken 3.5 years of abuse so far. It is a medium flex shaft, is very evenly balanced and I think (it's hard to find details on it) it's around 91 grams. The strings are slightly saggy now.

My level & technique
    After being back playing for a year now, I'd place myself at intermediate-to-advanced level again. I'm agile and fast around the court and have fast reactions and a fast swing. Despite the fast swing, I don't have that raw power though and would like a racket and string combo that would give me more options on my back-hand and help with clears. I'm fine if I'm standing at the back ready for the shuttle, but if I'm travelling back for it, I struggle to then hit it far enough back. Yes, my technique could be improved and I'm working on that, but effectively, I'm looking for that bit extra oomph on clears.

When smashing I get plenty of power, which means my current racket must be the right flex for unleashing the potential energy I've put into it during a long swing, but maybe the shorter swing (before impacting the shuttle) of a clear isn't allowing the racket to unflex in time beofre I make contact with the shuttle. It certainly doesn't leave my racket with the same power. I'm willing to sacrifice a touch off the smash power to make the clears a bit easier. ie I guess I'm wondering if a stiffer shaft will achieve this?

I also enjoy employing a lot of dinks just over the net from the back of the court (mostly in doubles) and don't want to lose the control I need for those.

Rackets tried
    I've tried a few head-heavy rackets, but didn't like the loss of manoeuvrability of them. I'm guessing that head-light would lose me power (and some accuracy?), which isn't what I'm after. The best I've managed to borrow off someone for a few minutes of clearing practice was a Yonex Nanospeed 5000, strung with Yonex BG65. I don't know the tension on it but it wasn't that high a tension. Although, it was higher than the tension on my Carlton of unknown string type. It did clear better than my Carlton though. This could of course be purely down to the strings.

I don't know, which is why I'm asking for some help ... anyone?

I guess I'm after your recommendations on a racket, string type and string tension that you think will best help me. Money is not a major factor, though I don't want the hassle of re-stringing every month.

Thanks in advance.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) I will suggest you to restring your current racquet with BG80 or BG85 at 21x23 or 22x24lb. You might not need a new racquet after all.
    2) If you really want a suggestion that fit your bill, Cab30ms, MP45, NS4500 or NS8000 will be a good choice. Cab30ms and MP45 are both even balanced with good power. NS4500 and NS8000 are great racquet for maneuverability and good power too. If you play a lot of double, avoid NS8000 be because NS8000 will die on clash due to the slim frame.
    Good luck

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can try the following strings since it has good power and durability. NBG95, BG65 and BG70pro. As for rackets have you considered other brands like RSL and SOTX?

4. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm running through reviews of the racquets/rackets and strings being proposed so far. BTW, I'm failing to see a NS5000 on the Yonex site, so it might have been the 500 I tried. My friend did say it was the entry level NS, so it probably is the 500. I'll check with him later.

silentheart : I do like my Carlton Aerogear 800FX and indeed wonder what it would be like if re-strung with better strings at a tighter tension. However, it is a little battle scarred and I was thinking of using it as my backup racquet. The NS4500 does look like a direct replacement for my Aerogear, being a balanced, medium flex, oval head and just a bit lighter. Some reviews say that the Cab30ms, being stiff, requires more effort to clear, I do think that I'm going to have to try a stiff rated racquet though, in order to find out. Heh, the MP45 seems to be an option in the middle of the other two with regard to flexibility being medium-stiff. These three would be good to try out in quick succession to help make a decision. Thanks.

phandrew : I was amazed by the BG65 on the borrowed racquet I tried, I went for a deceptive slice and found the shuttle going much straighter than I was used to. I guess this will be better for drives down the line, but I shall have to adjust my slices. LOL. As for the racquets ... I haven't looked into RSL, though have read good things about the SOTX racquets. Problem is, I only have one lifetime to test and find the right racquet. ~grin~

What do people think of the NS900s as an option. With it being less stiff than the X, is it really a medium-stiff?

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    NS5000 does exist, but I think Yonex discontinued it possibly. NS5000 I think has orange on the frame, while mostly dark colour (grey or black).

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    There are better rackets than NS9000S and are also cheaper like SOTX Woven 8 and Woven 9

7. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

From looking up reviews, I'm guessing the Woven 8 would be the most likely fit of the SOTX range, since the others are mostly head heavy. Looking up RSL, would the Millenium 5 Heat Ti5900 be a recommendation?

Bear in mind I have a fast but not powerful arm.

8. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

I think by reading at your skill and style of play.
    you may consider At900T and Arc Saber 10.
    Those rackets are consider all around with packed of power.
    string recommended Bg80, 65, 65ti, NBG 95-98 at 26-28lbs.

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    BG80 doesn't last that long so it isn't a good idea.

10. silentheart

Guys,
    1) he is used to a 10 yr old racquet with lower tension string. i feel it is logical not to go up 8 lb right away. take a smaller increment is a better option imho.
    2) yes, ns5000 has been discontinued this year and replaced with ns4500 with stiffer shaft. however, ns4500 is a iso head, not a egghead.
    3) dunk1970 did not mention the price range for the racquet. i am suggesting something that will not break his bank. althought, ns4500 is harder to find for people who is using it.
    4) bg80 and bg85 has much better grip and repulsion than bg65. the slice you try to excute, will dive faster and has better direction. at 21x23lb, i will take the better performance of bg80 or bg85 over durability of bg65 because bg 65 tension will drop faster than you can break bg80.
    5) good luck and best wish. may be look up buy and sell forum for a used one for good deal. look jard and you might be able to find a member with kind heart to give you a good deal.

11. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

Again, thanks for all the replies. Everyone's responses have me thinking. So I'll feed back a few of my thoughts based on your comments and recommendations.

Price isn't much of an object. Well, in so far that I can get any of the racquets listed so far for £122 or less. I know this is a lot for a racquet, but I've spent a lot of the previous six years kayaking and £120 now seems like a drop in the ocean. Terrible pun thoroughly intended. ;)

Don't get me wrong though, if say the NS4500 and the AS10 felt very similar to me, I would go for the NS4500 at half the price.

The mounting list of racquets mentioned means I will be printing this thread out and taking it with me to a shop I've heard that will let me try some.

String Type
    I'm leaning towards the BG70Pro option. According to Dinkalot's chart, they hold their tension well and are also very durable. considering this and the fact that they will be a better grip and feel etc over my current strings, is there a reason (aside from expense) for not choosing them?

String Tension
    The great debate. I'm hearing that tight equates to a smaller sweet-spot, less power, less forgiving, less durability but more control. And vice versa for low tension stringing. If I am gaining power from the string type (less so with the BG70Pro than some others I admit) and a more modern racquet, then is that enough to risk going higher tension in the string or will I lose all the power I'm seeking to gain?

12. silentheart

1) since your budget is 122 pound, I will suggest you to go with 1 NS4500 and 1 Cab30ms and still under your budget.
    2) I consider BG70 pro is the 2nd worse string in current Yonex product line. The worse is BG65ti. Most of what I hear on the BG70pro is it is dead, no feeling. The power is not there. For me, I do not get the repulsion I get from BG80 and I do feel it is an awful string. If you demo racquet in the shop, they usually use BG65 which you tried before and like it. It is the most popular Yonex string for the price and durability.
    3) Depend on the racquet you get, you need to tweek the racquet tension a little. However, I feel very strongly on this is BG70pro at high tension is a desaster waiting to happen because you will injure your arm or elbow very quick. BG80 at 21X23 feels similar to BG65 at 22x24 with more power.
    Best wish.

13. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

Heh, buying two is an interesting concept but I'll stick to one. I don't have to spend £122. I'm also one of those people that don't like to switch racquets for different occasions, preferring to really tune into one racquet.

Thanks for the heads up on the BG70Pro. It does seem to get a mixed review. I did notice that most of the lower reviews, were from people who had it strung with lower tension. I guess I could try one of the less durable ones and see how long it lasts. Then I'll know if it was worth it won't I.

Note that while I did like the BG65 string, I was comparing it to the unbranded thick, loose and slidy strings on my Carlton Aerogear - LOL.

Regarding injuries, I've never felt the strains mentioned through playing badminton. I keep reading about this happening with head-light and/or high tension causing feedback from shuttle impacts, but it really sounds odd to me.

OK, options are :-

1) BG65 at a tension slightly above what I want, so that it can drop to 22x24 lbs. I say this because Dinkalot's table suggests it needs pre-stretching. Since this isn't likely to happen, it will have to do its pre-stretching on the racket. How much tension would we expect it to drop have how many hours? Heh, is that a daft question?

2) BG80. Should I also string this slightly above tension expecting it to stretch a little?

What about the Ashaway Micro Power MP?

#13 Dunk1970, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  14. silentheart

1) my experience is the BG65 will drop 5~10% over night after stringing depend on if the stringer pre-stretch and skill. Then you can expect another 5~10% drop over the next month or so. Usually advanced player will restring by that time.
    2)for Bg80, my experience is almost no tension drop over night and string drop tension 5~10% over 1 month time. Again, usually advanced player will break the string by that time.
    3) ashaway mp behave almost same as bg80. except it does experience some minor tension drop over night.
    again, these does not effect playability of the string. most of the player will stick with 1 type of string and specific stringer for a long time.

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    very good suggestion. no regret.
    value for money and good performance, bg80 & 85.
    durability? still using the string after 6 months? i will use my scissor....:D

grandmaster SH, can you drop that Cab30MS idea.
    i cant find it locally :crying::crying::crying:
    furthermore is mostly used by grandmaster in BC...!!

16. silentheart

1) Are you sure it is not Grandmother?
    2) Do you really want to try? Should I sell one to you with Anna's poster?
    PS: Anna use RQiS1L not Cab30ms... US Open is getting close however, the air fare is so expensive...
    Getting drunk and droll all over Anna and Nicole and other lovely ladies with my slurpy speech about insurance will not help getting autograph for you...

17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    aikes........
    please do not punish me by that.
    :eek::eek::eek:

18. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

OK, so if I go for the BG65 via an online shop string upgrade on a new racquet, I should go a couple of lbs higher. I'm assuming that the shop won't do such things as pre-stretching. Perhaps 23x25 lbs. I can always switch between my old and my new racquet during this bedding in period.

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
  20. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

Nice deal there phandrew.

Update
    Played again tonight and after using a friend's racquet for the last few weeks, I switched back half way through this evening to my Carlton Aerogear 800FX and found playing much easier again.

Both racquets : Even balance, same length, medium flex shaft & similar tension string.

My racquet : Oval head, ~91grms, unbranded string between 0.8 and 0.9mm diameter(now you know why I've not broken them after 3.5 years of actual play) that's fraying around the sweet spot.

Borrowed racquet : Isometric head, ~87grms, factory strung (Carlton) string less than 0.8mm in diameter.

Switching back to mine, I have less feel but way more power. I hadn't realised just how much oomph I'd lost on clears and especially smashes. I clearly have magic springy fishing line on my racquet. ~grin~

Also, my defence felt the same with both, despite the Aerogear being the heavier racquet. I gave the borrowed racquet back after this with my thanks for the loan.

Conclusions so far
    I don't need a lighter racquet.
    I need thinner strings for added grip, control and presumably feel.
    I can find the sweet spot on an oval, so I should stick to ovals.
    Will keep my Aerogear as my backup.