Wrist problems / pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Skirmisher, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Skirmisher

Skirmisher Regular Member

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before but i did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Anyways, over the past several weeks, I have noticed that my wrist has been having pains. At first i thought that i had sprained my wrist, but the pains are very minimal. Now the problem is that these pains will go away after 1-3 days. So for example, I will have pain when doing flexion/extension of my wrist when playing badminton on monday...but by wednesday/ thursday the pain will be gone, and i will be able to play fine again with no hindrances.
    The confusing part is that the pain is very very minimal, enough to stop me from playing, but not from doing any other normal day acitivites.
    The part that concerns me most now is that this has happened over 3x over the past 2-3 weeks. I have taken care not to suddenly put pressure/force onto my wrist, but it seems that it still somehow occurs. I have looked at my wrist and have noticed a very slight bump, although im not sure if this is actually anything of concern. I have not noticed any obvious swelling.

Could it be that my wrist is hurt and that i just havnt given it time to fully and completely heal?

Has anyone had a similar experience before? I am planning to see my doctor within the next week as well.

Thanks, and sorry again if this has been posted before

#1 Skirmisher, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Ive got something similar. A smaller pain at first, then increasing in duration/pain. It turned out to be tendonitis.

I tried resting it, which helped a bit. I also tried taping with sports tape, but it restricted movement and didnt seem to help too much anyway. Recently I have been using Voltaren, and it seems to be working. It apparently comes in different forms, I used the rub on type. I use it at night and just before playing. Using it just before playing seems to help the pain alot.

At night, I rub the Voltaren on (remembering to use a different finger each time haha), then let it dry, and use a wrist sweatband, which prevents the voltaren from being rubbed off accidentally, and also helps keep my wrist straight.

Its meant to be rubbed on 3 times a day for 2 weeks, so I use it in the morning as well (if I remember to do it).

3. Churchill

Churchill Regular Member

Is your grip correct? Do you keep playing when it hurts?

I found a good exercise for wrist muscle training is the following:

1) Find a stick or dowel which is at least shoulder width long
    2) Find a comfortable weight (few pounds should be good)
    3) Attach the weight by a string to the center of the stick
    4) Grip the stick with both hands shoulder width apart, arms about a foot away from your body
    5) Slowly wind the string up the racket until the weight reaches the top
    6) Slowly wind the string down until the weight reaches the bottom

This has built wrist strength for me and i've noticed less wrist pain because of it

4. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

i had that tendon problem at my wrist. I used the hot and cold method and it helped my tendon recover greatly.

5. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    for me,my problem is my back's muscles will pain after play..and not just 1-3 days to recover..it take more than a week to recover even a use some medi on it..wat i remember,i never have that pain since i play badminton..can someone help me?

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Perhaps you are gripping the racket too tightly -- it should be fairly loose most of the time. Allow it to tighten naturally, but not too much, as you accelerate the racket head. It is also possible that you are using too much flexion in your shots if you are not pronating enough. The wrist does not need to flex much past the neutral for most shots. I'll use a quick, short flexion on basic net kills but not much of a flexed position on most other shots.

It is possible that you have inflamed wrist tendons or maybe a bible bump (ganglion cyst).

7. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

I will say go to a doctor and find out what's the cause of your pain. It is better than beating around the bush when you are not to sure what's the problem.

Hopefully it is nothing serious.

8. Skirmisher

Skirmisher Regular Member

Thanks for your replies everyone :)

I did see a doctor, he says that he thinks it could be a over-use injury or tendinitis. I went to take a x-ray, but he also said that if i had time, i should be get a MRI done because he doesn't think it has anything to do with the bones.

O and also, today my wrist felt completely fine so i went and played for about 3.5 hrs. No pain/discomfort while playing at all...but now when i get home my wrist actually aches :( Im scared it'll hurt tmrw

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Did you by any chance hyperextend your wrist?

10. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    thanks u all..my problem solved..i can play well tis yesterday..i think is just my muscles over use..haha..is a happy ending..hope wont get injured again..
    skirmisisher,i think u cannot play too long since ur wrist jus recover..

11. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied

If it is an over-use/tendinitis injury, make sure that you pay close attention to the gripping and flexion advice that I gave in post #6 above. Tendinitis implies that there if inflammation present. Did the doctor prescribe any anti-inflammatory drugs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen)? If so, which one & how much?

One of the best things that you can do for inflammation is to ice the injury. This should be done as soon as possible after badminton and a couple of other times during the day/night. But don't do it right before badminton. Also, do not apply ice directly to the skin unless you are doing an ice massage.

12. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Just take it easy and make sure you do some wrist stretches / rotations before and after the game since it's pretty much been injured once. If you don't do that, you'll end up like my friend with a clicking wrist!