Unusual training methods

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Steplantis, May 21, 2002.

1. Steplantis

Steplantis Regular Member

Broadcast Engineer
    I`ve just been reading a book, written by one of my friends here in Japan, which has a section on interesting and unusual training methods such as....

1. Tying a rubber band between racquet head and your lead foot to practice lobs/lifts and strengthen your arm/wrist.
    2. To increase speed and jump ability in your legs doing footwork ex`s, pattern practices, knock practices etc with shoes that have had the portion from the mid section of the shoe to the heel cut off. This means that you have to keep on your toes at all times as you should when moving on court ( it`s quite tough on your legs apparently - haven`t tried it myself! ).
    3. When doing practices with a feeder using a table tennis table in folded position to block the players view of when the shuttles leave the feeders racquet. Also having 3 table tennis tables in similar folded position across the net, thus completely blocking the players view of when and where the shuttles are coming from.

So anyone have any other amazing methods to share? I`ve heard before about one side of the court being a sand pit and doing footwork ex`s to increase speed. Anymore weird and wonderful examples????

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I have tried this and it works! U should let Sea Waves break on Ur thighs! It will imporve ur muscles like anything!U imporve ur balance and also the pounding ur legs will take really help a lot!

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Well, not sure if it's unusual enough, but here's one:

If you're going to spend some time on the beach this summer, then there is an excellent way to improve your drives: play paddleball! That is, the beach variant with heavy wooden racquets, and drive the ball hard back and forth.

(There is a competitive variant as well, which is played against 1 or 4 walls, using graphite/titanium racquets!)