Be hard to yourself. Train in games without a coach.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by modularity, Jul 22, 2008.

1. modularity

modularity Regular Member

share some of my experience::D

I've been playing once/week for 9 months and has beaten quite a few friends (incluing guys from university backup teams, first team is simply way TOO good :) ) I thought were unbeatable 9 months ago.
    My skills are still quite raw and I don't have much time to play. Yet I think

when you cannot afford the money and time to hire a coach or train with partners, say, like me, a poor graduate student,:) you can steadily improve in club games.

A good way is (1.) when playing with better players, play to your best and ASK them later what's your weakness, and what attacks are not effective; better players are often quite keen-eyed and can spot your weakness instantly.

(2.) when playing with players that you're confident to beat. don't play to 100%, 75% at most. Keep away from your 'killer shots' (for me, accurate baseline drives, nets combined with smashes), and TELL THEM YOUR WEAKNESSES!! and expect them to hit there:crying:. I think that's the best way to improve, given most players cannot remember your weakness. REMIND THEM:D. (for me, forehand receiving, backhand low drive. and some particular form of footwork in doubles).

Hope it's useful.

#1 modularity, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Ive tried this for a year playing 3 times a week. I personally thought i got alot better, and could stand my ground and even win the majority of the games depending on my partner. Then my progress started to slow to a halt. I thought what better time to get some one-one coaching. With a bit of spare cash flying around I began coaching 2 weeks ago.

My game got RIPPED apart. Footwork/form/balance etc... was all ripped apart and everything ive "self taught" now needs to be relearned. Dont get me wrong i wasnt a bad player for social clubs and the likes, but if your taking badminton with a bit of seriousness and want to improve properlly....

If you cant afford training on a weekly basis, then i strongly advise to just get coaching once, ask him to review your game, and give you pointers to work on. I can not begin to tell you how much ive learned in 2 weeks! Lets just say my progress in 1 year was good, my progress in 2 weeks (concentration mostly on footwork drills and the proper way to hit a shuttle) has superseeded what I learnt over the year.

Just my 2p :)

3. modularity

I know a guy who gave 2/3 remaining training sessions up when his coach keeps shouting at him for wrong moves.

the mere idea of a personal coach sounds intimidating, let alone time and cost. It doesn't sound fun, maybe because I'm just a beginner, not serious enough.

4. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Obviously a bad coach then, or he couldnt hack it? My coach has never once displined me or shouted at me, only ever given me pointers/help :)

5. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    i wish i can find a coach ... here in indiana ... it's hardly possible find someone even to play with me or train me ....

i have to do at all alone all the time , and the progress is slow ... to none. . i work hard ... but if you don't have a proper training

it's really hard to improve....

6. blundey

blundey Regular Member

You can improve without a coach, you just might be improving with bad habbits and incorrect form. There is always a way to do something better than you already do it, and finding this way, is something achieved alot easier if a professional is watching your technique.

7. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    there is many video out there... but when you out at the court .. none of the thing you watch like foot work might work because you don't know really how to use it

i been doing tons of footwork yet when come to a real game some of the footwork just is not comming out ..

you need someone to tell you that you are wrong when you playing a friendly game

don't have to be a coach ... but someone know his or her stuff ...

my training for local competition has be comming to halt ... i have no idea how to improve with out really someone point out my mistake when i play a real game ....

It does stress me out.

8. modularity

Agree.

Lin Dan or Tauhfik's footwork seems smooth, effortless and really fast!! My footwork is medium+tiring, or slow+less tiring. :eek: