Howard Bach - USA's Olympian

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Loh, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    San Francisco Chronicle
    Sunday, May 25, 2008

2008 SUMMER OLYMPICS: Howard Bach

Getting a grip on life

Former bad boy from San Francisco takes badminton to a new level in U.S.

John Crumpacker,
    Chronicle Staff Writer

Children are kicking a bright orange ball around on the small asphalt yard at Spring Valley Elementary School on Russian Hill, the oldest public school in California.

Twenty years ago, Howard Bach was one of those kids, attending this school while growing up in this dense neighborhood where an iconic San Francisco sound became part of the landscape of the ear.

"The cable cars were like roosters. They woke me up every morning," said Bach, now 29 and a two-time U.S. Olympian in badminton.

"I used to be pretty good at badminton myself," said Lonnie Chin, then and now the principal of Spring Valley.

Bach remembered her as the lady in charge of the school. Chin could not claim to remember the rambunctious little boy but now that he's grown up to be an Olympic athlete from the old school, she fetched her camera for a photo-op to be used in a book commemorating the 155th anniversary of Spring Valley.

Bach's family immigrated to San Francisco in 1982 from Vietnam and in time established a laundry and dry cleaning business. Howard was the delivery boy. His growing-up years fell somewhere between ridiculously idyllic and deeply troubled.

By his own admission, Bach was something of a bad boy growing up in the city, a ne'er-do-well given to youthful acts of the misdemeanor variety.
    One of his favorites used to be hanging out near Hyde and Jackson streets waiting to jump on the side of an electric MUNI bus and hang by his fingertips while his FAST pass remained in his pocket.

"I could have lost my fingers," said Bach, who would go on to use those fingers to wrap around a badminton racket and become a world champion and two-time Olympian. "I thought it was cool back then. I was hanging out with the wrong crowd, doing illegal things but not being caught. It was crazy, stupid things you do, when you look back. That was my way of associating with my surroundings."

Bach attended Galileo High School at the time - or rather didn't attend. He was not a focused or motivated young man at that point in his life.

"I wouldn't want to get into details," he said of his checkered teenage past. "By law, you could categorize it as illegal. Not something I'm proud of."

His parents and four sisters are proud of him now, as well as his fiancee, Penelope Salac. Bach was a 2004 Olympian and a 2005 world champion; in a couple months he'll march in the Opening Ceremonies in Beijing as a 2008 Olympian. He will compete in men's doubles with partner Bob Malaythong and in mixed doubles with Eva Lee.

A medal on his mind

"I know what I want at the Olympics," Bach said. "I want to medal. In 2004, I was just happy to be there."

Malaythong said of his doubles partner, "He brings a lot of experience to the sport. We're doing well together. As professional athletes, you need to be fit, built for long-term use. The closest thing is tennis, but we exert more than in tennis. We run more than tennis. We deserve to be recognized in the same sense."

Bach now lives and trains in the city of Orange in Orange County, along with his two doubles partners. He was in Millbrae for the Bay Badminton Club Championships over the weekend, a tune-up competition for the summer ahead.

"Howard is a fantastic player. He's got a tremendous amount of talent," said Ben Lee, owner of the Bay Badminton Club and a 1992 Olympian in the sport. "He has certainly done better than any U.S. player has ever done in terms of winning the 2005 World Championship. He's taken the game to the next level here in the U.S."

Bach, who had taken up badminton at 9, turned his life around at 16 when he went to live at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Co., where he graduated from high school, became an elite competitor and found a purpose.

"That was pretty much the turning point in my life," he said. "The Olympics gave me a vision. You need that, short term and long term. If you don't have a goal, you can't hit the target."

Quickness a prerequisite

Or smash that shuttlecock over the net, as the case may be. At 5-foot-6 and 160 pounds, slightly bow-legged, Bach possesses the quick reactions the sport requires and also the stamina to prosper in an extended three-set match.

Bach is an American success story that started in Vietnam. Or, as he classifies himself, "An ethnic Chinese born in Vietnam with a German-sounding name holding a U.S. passport."

His surname in Chinese means "White," which in the Vietnamese language is spelled "Bach."

His father, Sencan Bach, owned clothing and glass manufacturing businesses in Vietnam. He eventually fell afoul of the government and was jailed for a period of time that his son termed "dramatic."

Bach, who was born in Ho Chi Minh City in 1979, left with his family when he was 3. The family eventually settled in San Francisco after refugee stops in the Philippines and Thailand.

"My dad always wanted to represent his country," Bach said of Sencan, a badminton player in his youth. "My dad missed out on his chance. My dad wanted me to represent the U.S. in badminton."

Finally beat dad

Bach learned the game at the Leavenworth YMCA and beat his father for the first time when he was 13.

"I hated losing," he said. "You have to be an all-around athlete. It's not easy. You've got to have quick, lightning reflexes and hand-eye coordination. You have to do aerobic and anaerobic work."

The makers of the sports drink Vitamin Water put those qualities to work in a television commercial that became controversial among some Asians. Bach and Malaythong, U.S. citizens, were portrayed as a Chinese team competing against an "American" doubles team of Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher and Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz, who by the way was born in the Dominican Republic.

In the commercial, Urlacher slams the shuttlecock across the net with such force it becomes embedded in Malaythong's leg for a rousing victory by the "Americans."

"It's a disgrace to the sport," Bach said. "It wasn't being taken seriously. We are the American team. We were portrayed as the Chinese team."
    Father went through ordeal

Bach is preparing for the Beijing Olympics in a much better frame of mind than he did for Athens in 2004. Four years ago, his father fell into a diabetic coma and was given a 20-percent chance of living. His son was told to start looking for coffins. Doctors nevertheless encouraged Bach to talk to his father and keep talking, even though he was in a coma.

"He started slowly moving his fingers and he woke up," Bach said. "Dad said, 'Keep talking. I'm doing this for you.' That was truly amazing. I was getting ready to get the coffin. He was that close."

This was 1 1/2 months before the start of the Athens Olympics. Sencan Bach is doing well now and will be in Beijing to watch his son compete.

"He's 80 percent recovered," Bach said. "We're just happy he's still alive."
    For Bach, fingers that once gripped the side of a MUNI bus now grip the badminton racket of an Olympian, a reformed bad boy who made good.

The Bach bio

Hometown: San Francisco
    Defining moment: Won the 2005 Doubles International Championship with partner Tony Gunawan, marking the first time an American team had ever medaled in a major tournament.

2. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Anyone know why Howard Bach/Eva Lee are not on the XD draw came out over the weekend? Did I miss something or they don't qualify for whatever reason?

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I believe..^^

..the answer lies in this thread:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47511

Although, it states that:
    "3.3.8 In each event there shall be at least one player/pair from each of the five BWF Continental Confederations."
    CAN's Mike Beres & Valerie Loker are ranked 17th in the Qualifying list for XD...most likely Howard & Eva didn't qualify (don't have enough qualifying points)..

#3 ctjcad, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  4. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Hmm! That means they didn't make it as the top-16 pairs. Well, at least, both still get to compete in another event! Thanks ctjcad!

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^That's correct..^^..

..unfortunately, Howard & Eva didn't finish in the top 16.
    Complete list of qualified XD pairs, here:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58185

I would imagine, at the very least, CAN's Mike Beres & Valerie Loker would qualify (to represent the PanAm/Americas continent). But i guess they want to give other pairs a chance??..

#5 ctjcad, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Could Badminton Be The Next NASCAR?

July 22, 2008 · Badminton is the only Olympic sport where men and women play on the field at the same time. It's also one of the most popular sports in the U.S., but Olympians Howard Bach and Bob Malaythong aren't convinced that it gets the respect it deserves.

Rob Schmitz reports for KQED.

audio only
    http://www.npr.org/templates/player...ion=1&t=1&islist=false&id=92775450&m=92775419

espn confirmed that badminton is the 2nd most popular sports in the world.

from the sound, make a guess of their string tensions:p

#6 cooler, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I found myself, instead of listening to the host's dialogue, cringing every time he mispronounced "badmitten" and Bob "Mylathong". So sad :rolleyes:

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

lol, me too.
    Actually, american announcer often saying it with a silence 'ton', or just 'badmit'

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Either way, it's annoying

10. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Even the US have won a WC medal.

At the end of the day, it is about desire and determination, not the hairdos, gold chains, rings, bracelets, jade pendants, tattoos, rhetorics etc.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    USD 500,000 from private funds to train the Olympians?
    That's more than US government spending on the sport :eek:

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Um, doesn't Howard Bach have a penchant for several of these? :rolleyes:

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

So does Ronaldinho, Maurice Greene, David Beckham, Dennis Rodman etc. And yet they are winners in their respective fields.

Howard Bach got that MD WC nicely tucked away in his cabinet. ;)

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Personal Best: Bach helps badminton soar to new heights
    By: David Liepman
    Special to The Examiner
    06/27/09 2:00 PM PDT

San Francisco native Howard Bach has represented the U.S. in badminton at the past two Olympics. (Getty Images)
    SAN FRANCISCO — The second Bay Badminton Championships provides Howard Bach with the opportunity for a rare trip home.
    Bach was a 16-year-old student at Galileo High School when he decided to dedicate himself to the sport of badminton.

He first picked up a racket at the age of 5 when his father taught him the game at San Francisco’s YMCA on Golden Gate Avenue. Bach moved to Colorado Springs, Colo., to finish high school and devote himself to a newly formed intensive badminton program at the Olympic Training Center.

A successful career in doubles badminton ensued, as Bach found that singles was not conducive to his 5-foot-6 frame. He represented the U.S. at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, where Bach and partner Bob Malaythong made it to the top eight before losing in the third round.

Tony Gunawan was Bach’s partner when the duo, seeded 13th, won the World Championship in 2005 at the Arrowhead Pond Arena in Southern California, Bach’s home since 1999. The doubles victory had historical impact, as it represented the first medal for the United States in an Olympic or World Championship badminton event.

Opportunities began rolling in for Bach after the championship. He played badminton on the set with late-night talk-show host Conan O’Brien and filmed a Vitamin Water commercial with NFL star Brian Urlacher and baseball slugger David Ortiz.

“They were the American team, and I was the Chinese team,” Bach said.

Badminton is a sport dominated by Asian countries, and Bach is dedicated to increasing its popularity in the U.S. The 30-year-old is encouraged to see as many as 10 badminton clubs in the Bay Area.

“There is a concentration of badminton [here],” Bach said. “Players can start training competitively at a very young age. With good grass roots players, the Bay Area is doing a good job producing future Olympians.”

Spectators at the tournament held at the Bay Badminton Center in Burlingame, which runs Friday-Sunday, will see the shuttlecock fired at speeds of up to 190 miles per hour as Bach reunites with Gunawan, who fell to Bach in last year’s doubles final. Bach will also be competing in mixed doubles with partner Eva Lee.

Recently married to Penelope, who he met on the badminton court, Bach looks forward to a break from the international professional circuit while playing on his home turf in front of the other women in his life: his mom and four sisters, one who was also a competitive badminton player, and two who were San Francisco city tennis champions and earned partial scholarships to USF.

“It’s just a great feeling to go back and play,” the veteran said. “It’s not a job. Any time I get a chance to do something that I love, it is very uplifting. It liberates me. It’s like dancing on the court. It’s my way of having fun. Winning is great, but at first you have to love what you do. Winning is just secondary.”

Badminton tourney
    What: Bay Badminton Championships

Where: Bay Badminton Center, 1611 Adrian Rd., Burlingame

When: Friday-Sunday

Total purse: $26,000

Info: www.baybadminton.com, (650) 692-1611

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Ah, another one! :p

16. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

Since this thread has already been dug up...

Bad-mit-ten is actually the primary pronunciation of the word according to the dictionary.

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    That depends on which dictionary I would assume. It's pronounced as bad-min-ton as the way it should be.

It's more like the differnece between the different English where the same word is pronounced differently.

#17 Matt, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009