Cracked AT900T, Advice on new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by fawked, Jul 23, 2008.

1. fawked

fawked New Member

Hello, I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Recently I bought an AT900T 4U4G strung with BG65 TI at 27 pounds. The racket has an SW serial number. He told for high end rackets they get SW rather than SP cause of the quality, but I'm not sure about that anymore.

But I have used it not more than a month and there is a hairline crack on the frame at the 8'oclock. I have never clashed my racket with anyone. I don't know what went wrong. For the price I paid I would expect to use the racket for at least a year before something like this happened.

Before this I was using a Carbonex 21 SP 3U. I have clashed many times, dropped it, abused it and whatsoever and there isnt a single paint chipped on it. And I love the smashing power on that racket, more than my AT900T.

I am confused, are the newer rackets lighter, more flexible and less durable? Also it could be my stringer messed up. I dont really know.

Believe me I'm terribly upset right now, for the price I paid I expected it to last a lot longer than 3 weeks considering I didn't clash and stuff.

Anyway I'm considering buying a new racket. Can anybody recommend me a more durable racket? I read that some people say the ArcSaber 10 is kinda durable.

I play doubles and I'm an attacking player. I like to smash a lot. My AT900T was very weak. But the racket is very light and flexible in terms of defense. I can play for a long time without my hand tiring.

I read Ants review that the ArcSaber10 is made of more durable material so I'm really considering an ArcSaber10. Basically I'm willing to spend some money but I want something that can last me under normal playing circumstances (my partner and I never clash, cause we love money more than winning our matches).

If some of you kind people can advice me on the following:

1. Is ArcSaber10 more durable than the AT900T?
    2. Is 3U more durable than 4U? Cause I find the AT900T 4U a little too light for smashing power anyway.
    3. I like playing at higher tensions but I'm afraid of breaking my frame, if you recommend me a racket please tell me how high I can string my racket.
    4. If any of you are from Kuala Lumpur can you advice me where to buy and string my racket? Leave a contact if its possible (only if its allowed by the forums). Cause right now I'm not even sure anymore if I bought a genuine racket. I bought from a shop near Bukit Jalil, people told me its a trusted shop as they string for Bukit Jalil players and so on.
    5. Also are there warranty policy for a hairline crack like this?

I hope I will get some feedback here. Thanks in advance.

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    1. Arc10 will more durable than At900T
    2. 3U is more durable than 4U
    3. very good stringer at Racket World, Pertama Complex.
    4. good pricing at Racket World, Pertama Complex.

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    5. when did you purchase the racket? if not mistaken, the warranty is 3 months. furthermore, at 27bs, which higher than the manufacturer's recommendation, not easy to claim the warranty but worth a try.......

4. fawked

fawked New Member

Yes I'm aware I strung it higher than recommended by manufacturer. But there are a lot of people that string it at that tension. Anyway if I were to cut the string, they wont really know what tension I string it at, not that I want to cheat or anything.

I don't think that stringing at 27lbs will make the AT900T crack under normal circumstances. I suspect its a fake racket or defected. A shop in bangsar told me its fake. I don't know anymore.

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    fake?
    maybe. coz i never hear any good shop in bkt jalil.
    to verify, pls do post some close up photos here, especially the shaft serial area and cone code.
    also, please let us know the shaft serial and cone code.

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Just post the serial here so we can see it.

7. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    posting some photos will also help

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can also try SOTX Woven 7 since the build quality is extremely good.

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    SOTX not available locally here. quite sad.
    need to buy online, which is a hassle and cant try hands on first........;)

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I thought SOTX would be worldwide distributed by now. Doesn't matter because people who tried Woven 7 know it is an excellent racket.;)

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, post some pictures, clearing showing the serial number and the head, frame and where it is cracked. some of us here should be able to tell immediately if it is the genuine article.

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) welcome fawked
    2) yes, you are fawked, since the racquet is sw coded and not from your region code.
    3) yes, arc saber line is one of the more durable racquets in current catalog.
    4) you have a very good user name!

13. fawked

fawked New Member

Haha, I'm glad you like my username, I use it all the time. Sometimes I write articles and sign off as Adrian Fawk.

The shop that I bought my AT900T from is not in Bukit Jalil, its in Endah Parade Sri Petaling.

Anyway, I don't have a camera yet but I'll post pictures later. I doubt if I post pictures you can see the crack. The crack is really small, its a hairline crack. Still a crack nonetheless. But here are the serial numbers:

Cone Serial: 180872SW
    Shaf Serial: 7079696

I went to a shop in Bangsar today and the owner was nice enough to help me check my racket. I didn't bring it along with me today, but I will send it to hime later and he'll see if its fake, if its not he'll try and get it fixed or replaced he says.

14. silentheart

Sorry to see the crack.
    1) I am pretty sure your racquet is a real one.
    2) I had to warranty a AT900-t before because it had hair line crack @ 8:00 and the player used it for one additional weekend and it just broke on a smash.
    3) Good luck on getting it replaced. Since you are Fawked...

15. fawked

fawked New Member

Mine is cracked @ 8:00 as well. How many LBS did you strung your racket? What caused yours to crack? Was it 4U?

16. fawked

fawked New Member

Mine is cracked @ 8:00 also well. What was your tension? Do you have any idea why it cracked?

17. silentheart

Just to keep the post short, I will answer your questions 2x.
    1) The tension was at 22X24lb.
    1) The tension was at 22X24lb.
    2) The crack was caused by a smash miss hit.
    2) The crack was caused by a smash miss hit.
    3) It was a 4UG4
    3) It was a 4UG4

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    You should of gotten the 3U because these are the real deal!! The 4U is too light and fragile.

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It was within recommended tension and the frame cracked. That can mean it was a manufacturer defect.

20. fawked

fawked New Member

Ooops, sorry about the double post. I'm new here. Don't know why my post had to be moderated first before it appeared. I thought I didn't post properly so I reposted.

Yes I did prefer a 3U but they only had 4U...

Anyway I'm really upset for that price I paid the AT900T was either defective or way too fragile. But I guess sometimes during shipping to the shops it took a bump or something.

What would you guys say about ArcSaber 10 3U? Would it be very much more durable? They only have 3U, no 2U here.