User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Hello from Newfoundland!

    Hi guys,

    I've been reading the forums for a while but only recently started posting. It makes me kind of jealous to see how active badminton is in other areas of the world, right now I only have 2 players who I can play with regularly in St. John's, Newfoundland (canada). Hopefully this will pick up as the winter comes along.

    I just ordered my first 'good' racket (MP-100), which should be arriving next week, so I'm pretty excited

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome abroad, Mr/Ms Churchill. And please get your own stringing machine . MP-100 is a very rare thing nowaday.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,873
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome to a Newf from a Bluenoser!

    Only two eligible players in Saint John's? That is a sad state of affairs! You will have to troll George Street with a press gang to get some players!

    The BC forums are great for advice on racquets for those of us who don't have access to decent shops. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    welcome churchill.

    fidget, those street gang in newfld have moved to alberta

  5. #5
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Welcome..

    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Hi guys,

    I've been reading the forums for a while but only recently started posting. It makes me kind of jealous to see how active badminton is in other areas of the world, right now I only have 2 players who I can play with regularly in St. John's, Newfoundland (canada). Hopefully this will pick up as the winter comes along.

    I just ordered my first 'good' racket (MP-100), which should be arriving next week, so I'm pretty excited
    ..to BCBF, Churchill!...Although it seems like a very small group of players you've got in Newfoundland, it's good that you have people you can play with. Now, we need you (and your friends) to spread and share the badminton good news to those who haven't played (let alone heard of it), yet. Anyway, enjoy the forum and have fun surfing this site!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    Welcome to a Newf from a Bluenoser!

    Only two eligible players in Saint John's? That is a sad state of affairs! You will have to troll George Street with a press gang to get some players!

    The BC forums are great for advice on racquets for those of us who don't have access to decent shops. Good luck.
    I wouldn't say there are only 2 ELIGIBLE players, those are just the ones I play with regularly / know. There used to be a fairly active badminton club a few years back, but I'm not sure how much they still play now... I will find out in september when they start up again.

    Our local university (http://www.theworksonline.ca/fitness/green_courts.php) has a great gym facility that a lot of people don't take advantage of, it is pretty much a dream come true for casual badminton players. For only $40 a semester, you have unlimited access to the gym's facilities, which include 2 badminton courts available from noon to about 7pm almost every day, and they are rarely fully booked. This fee is manditory in our tuition, so a lot of people (who obviously don't have a clue what gym fees are nowadays) complain about it... but I find it amazing. Very lucky to still be a student If you are not a student however, it is a $5 drop in fee and you can use the gym however much you want for the day.

    Oh by the way it's mr, i'm doing my masters in computer science (robitics) at the moment, should be finished up the thesis in december, can't wait!
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-26-2008 at 12:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..to BCBF, Churchill!...Although it seems like a very small group of players you've got in Newfoundland, it's good that you have people you can play with. Now, we need you (and your friends) to spread and share the badminton good news to those who haven't played (let alone heard of it), yet. Anyway, enjoy the forum and have fun surfing this site!
    I was thinking of starting up a badminton club at the university... when you start a society which gets officially ratified you get to have a room somewhere on campus (usually pretty small) to store things, as well as like $100 funds to help get your society going, for things like advertising and equipment.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    Welcome abroad, Mr/Ms Churchill. And please get your own stringing machine . MP-100 is a very rare thing nowaday.
    I am hoping my strings last a long time, I am not sure if anywhere in town can string properly!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,873
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Robotics

    That's a pretty impressive thesis you must have. Does it leave time for you to form a badminton club? Make time anyhow....you deserve it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah it would take a lot of time. I would just really want it to organize games against different people, not to run the club by myself

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lost Wld Of CitiTel, Malaysia
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    welcome a board...

  12. #12
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,946
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi there..welcome to the forum!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Penang, Malaysia
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome Churchill!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    welcome,my friend

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. John's
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hey you should check out the The MUN badminton facebook group at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35658741804
    If you haven't already.

Similar Threads

  1. Tournament / Clubs in Newfoundland
    By Churchill in forum Canada East
    Replies: 0
    : 07-23-2008, 06:04 AM
  2. St. John's, Newfoundland
    By Sakura in forum Canada East
    Replies: 0
    : 01-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •