Jumping back during high/long serves

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jchan23, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jchan23

jchan23 Regular Member

I also seem to be having trouble with this as I often get stuck in a bad position and I'm either forced to clear or hit a really bad drop Any tips would be nice

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You must work on your footwork to get in position quickly.
    In singles, high serves are not fast, so you should have plenty of time to get ready for the shot.

But in doubles, even the pros sometimes have trouble returning flick serves.

Have a read through Gollum's Footwork Guide, it's detailed and helpful.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I mainly stand back a bit so that instead of jumping i can do side steps to do a smash.

4. Skirmisher

Skirmisher Regular Member

I usually stand at the line to force pressure, high flick serves are generally not a problem, all i do is move back quickly. Try to keep low, have your legs bent and ready to backpedal fast if necessary.

On the other hand, flick-low/drive serves give me more problems during a doubles game. Being 6'1 makes it a bit more difficult to block those body shots, but i just try to get down lower :D

5. pHysiX

pHysiX Regular Member

Law & Engineering, Legal Assistant
    what i do is stand biased to the front but weight ready to move backwards. always watch the racquet then instantly decide whether to attack forward or go back. if it's forward, it shouldn't be too much strain to go forward. if u decide to go back, then ur moment/weight is already there to help. just keep in mind that badminton rules states that u must be stationary until the opponent strikes the shuttle.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Do you really mean a high serve? This is a singles serve that goes extremely high and then drops almost vertically near the back line.

For a high serve, you have lots of time to move back. The usual return of a good high serve would be a straight clear.

Or are you talking about flick serves? These are also hit upwards, but more shallowly. They are played mainly in doubles.

If you're not sure about all the different types of serve, check out my page on the four types of badminton serve.

7. saifii

saifii Regular Member

heck my aim is getting so good that yesterday i jump smashed almost every HIGH serve and got myself a winner