breathing technique while playing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kooshball, Jul 27, 2008.

1. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

hello

i have read a lot of articles here but none of them seems to stress this.

i know in power lifting, breathing techniques are highly regarded. does the same apply to badminton?

if i'm going for a smash, should i be breathing in/out during the smash at all?
    thx

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    when you hit a smash you should be exhaling thats why when you watch some professional badminton matches they will grunt and all when hitting a hard smash to let it all out you dont want to be tense and dont want to contract your muscles at all you have to be lose and exhaling is part of that to help with it allowing you to hit a harder smash.

during the game itslf you want to have a control pace to your breathing though if your out of breath then deffinetly you should work on fitness but other than that cant think of any other specific breathing patterns that you should have while your playing though.

3. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    Just when you are about to take the shot, Take a quick breath and hold it.
    Then start to yell eeeeeeeeee....aaaaahhhhhhhh when you smash.

Not jokeing... Funny but true :D:p

4. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Interesting, can you be more exact about the timing - is it a long in and exhaling / long in short out / short in long out??? And should the timing be correlated with the outer/inner rotation of forearm, e.g. when outer rotation: inhale, inner rotating: exhale?

5. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    you should always exhale during contact with the bird. this looses up core muscles giving you a more fluid stroke with more power and control. same thing applies to many sport. tennis of course , volleyball, squash, baseball, soccer, etc

6. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

A deep inhailing (moderate timming) when you "About" to swing your forearm. As the swing start, Hold the breath to exert all your strenght. Upon impact, release your breath.
    Ps. Watch those world double shout to release their energy when they smash.

7. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Thanks, I will try to practice that, but I don't feel that it is natural, in the way you describe... I feel it more natural to exhale as I start the swing and during inner rotation. At contact point the air is out, but to wait and blow all of it out at contact point feels unnatural...

8. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

You can try to shout as you hit the shuttle, no need to hold your breath but make sure you have enough air to shout as you hit the shuttle.

9. gendruw

gendruw Regular Member

i noticed i smashed harder when i was making a battle cry during smash :D

10. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Well, Karate fighters also shout as they strike, but often badminton hall's have pretty much ecco, I don't think the neighbour court will appreciate this, but thanks the principle of course is good to thing about...

11. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Apparently there's this thing called a breathing challenge test. In it, you run on a treadmill while breathing from a tube containing a higher than normal volume fraction of carbon dioxide. Consequently, your breathing rate rises very quickly in order for you to obtain sufficient oxygen.

What's interesting is that if you feel the person's core muscles during this test (the person demonstrating this put his hands on the obliques), you'll get two types of people: for some their stomach rises and contracts as they breathe, while for others it remains rock solid. It just happens that those who remain rock solid have a very low incidence of back injury, while those who lose core stiffness under heavy exertion tend to get more back injury.

12. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    it is not the breathing you should worry when smashing, the breathing will come naturally. You should worry about your body position, grip and timing.

13. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    I think it's still important. Exhale when you make your shot, and when you spring up from a split step.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There is no such thing as breathing technique that is stroke-dependent. Your lungs need the most efficient transport of oxygen into the lungs and discharge of CO2. The way to do this is very basic and simple. You breath through your nose, never your mouth. Likewise you exhale CO2 through your mouth. Nose in, mouth out is the golden rule. If possible exhale hard and long to ensure air through the nose will fill your lungs more completely. This oxygen/CO2 exchange ensures a balanced blood ph.