Would the extra 10mm make a difference?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by North Yorker, May 23, 2002.

1. North Yorker

North Yorker Regular Member

I'm curious how the short and long racquet versions affect your play ... Some people mentioned the problem with timing. Anything else ? ... Does the extra 10mm give you an extra reach? Which version do you prefer?

2. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Need to adjust...

If you've been playing with normal length YY racquets and suddenly switched to long versions(extra 10mm), timing will be thrown off. You would ask yourself, why I keep hitting frame or the top or bottom of the strings? Give yourself a few weeks or few months(depending on the amount you play per week) to adjust to the extra length. Slowly, your timing will be back to normal and you will be hitting the sweetspot and nothing else. Theoretically, you should get the extra 10mm reach but I have not found the added advantage. Hard to duplicate the same desperate situation that needs that extra reach. Even with the extra 10mm one would still not get to the shot. :) Timing, for sure will be off a little but keep practicing with the racquet and the timing will be back to normal.

3. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    i prefer the long rackets but i have play 2 years with a normal too, when i switched i hitted my border like chu pa already said, a nice trick is to use your left hand to look at the shuttle and hit slowly but good so you learn faster to use a long racket

If you are a small M or F it's always good if you have 10mm more :)

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day all,

My thoughts on rackets being 10mm longer - could the extra length be used to offset the balance point of racket as well?

Inquisitive mind! ;)

5. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    the extra 10 mm, would allow for slightly steeper drops and smashes, and i THINK it would give a little bit more power...

6. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    ye indeed there is a little more power in it but it's a little harder to get a smash that's aimed on your body