Need Advice

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by santanick18, May 24, 2002.

1. santanick18

santanick18 Regular Member

Advice Plz?

I am a college student who loves Badminton and really wants to invest in a good racquet. I am looking for a racquet that is light and quick (I play defensively), but that has power if I am willing to put the arm muscles into it (for clears). I rely on my defense and my serve precision to win matches. I do not mind paying a bunch for a good racquet, I just need to know that it will last for a LONG time. Any advice on what to buy?

#1 santanick18, May 24, 2002
    Last edited: May 24, 2002
  2. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

ti sp sr

sounds like you need a Ti SP SR. a very light defensive racquet with lots of power. where are you located?

3. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Won't it be too light and fragile?

Depending on what you mean by light... if you previously used like 100 + gram racquets then I suggest MP-55.

Great for it's price.... I think you can get at Yo's for $130 string (any type) and tax included... maybe less... ask for CD version though.. (I heard he sells SP and CD not sure).

MP-55 is traditional length, pretty light 2U 90-95 gr.. pretty stiff... head heavy balanced... great power.... good control.. I recommend it ....

Very durable.. wel mine broke cause friend stepped/tripped on it... but I think any racquet would break when stepped on... survived lots of clashes though.. suffered in looks (paint chips etc.) But didn't affect racquet performance..

I am beginner-intermediate and I used it.. and think its great :) Woulda got another one but I'm getting a TI-10 instead... :D

4. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

if read the post clearly, he wants a "light" racquet, that is "fast" and "defensive", and doesn't mind paying lots for it. mp55 is definitely not a light nor a defensive and fast racquet.

5. TDotSmAsHer

MP-55 is not that heavy.... once you get used to it 3u doesn't really feel that much lighter.. Maybe not quite super manuverable as sr but its still light! And Jsunsun .. he said he wanted a racquet that would last a long time... which is why I recommended mp-55

If you want something lighter get MP-88 3u version.. I think I read something.. I think ricky was the one who said someone broke 3 4u MP-88 in a month?

3U should be fine though... read a review about it in the review section.... under misc. racquet.

6. santanick18

I am located in Va. (NW) I was told that a carbonex (cab-23) would be right up my alley as well...what do you all think of it? I really value the replys everyone, thnaks a lot for posting and please keep the advice coming :)

7. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    what about a Forza Ti Tech 1400? 3U, medium flex, CND 235.

8. santanick18

also...pardon my ignorance...but what do the SP SR stand for? Is this a Yonex? THX

9. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    sorry, I am trying to attach a picture of the racquet but it doesnt work.

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Or try a Yonex clone, Winex Ti Swing Power at a much lower price. :)

There are four variants of the swing power; SA, SR, SS, SX with the SA (4U) being the lightest and SX (2U) being the heaviest with different balance points and flex.

Attached Files:

11. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Don't worry..

Everyone is new to badminton one time or another. The full name is Ti Swing Power SR. Yonex has several racquets with four different stiffness and weight variations. SA and SR weighing in at 81g, SS and SX in at 87g for the Ti SP series. SX being the most stiff and SA the most flex. Doing searches for answers to questions helps a lot. I know there is more reading but that is what the internet is about. Topics like, what is 2U and 3U? What is the difference between CD, CP, SP? have been discussed so many times that people just bluntly tell you to do a search. Pretty much a general rule for all forums to search for an answer yourself before asking. People will flame newcomers. Of course, we don't flame people on BC. :)

12. TDotSmAsHer

www.yonex.com

check them out ........

May I ask where you are located satanick?

SX SR SS etc... are just different stiffness and I think different flex points in Swingpower racquet.

Winex i've never played with but there are other brands that are good too.... In canada theres not much brands to choose from.. IMHO .. toronto anyways.. It's basically pure yonex.. or low end carltons.... if u wanted to buy another from another brand it would be just as expensive or even more expensive then yonex... with a few exceptions.

13. santanick18

Chu Pa

Ty very much for that last post, helps out a lot...I have been trying to do some research but so far that has just been mainly posting on boards for advice so that I can get a general idea of where to begin looking. Your explanaitons made a lot of sense and really helped a lot, thank you very much :)

14. santanick18

It is a very small town in Virginia about 2 hour drive to DC. So all shopping trips require some planning ;)

15. TDotSmAsHer

Where are you located? I know in some places there are stores that let you demo racquets.... Id suggest you try before you buy. Theres people here from all across that world so I'm pretty certain that somebody will know if there are any stores that let u take out demos around your area.

16. TDotSmAsHer

Doh.. you posted just a second before me

17. TDotSmAsHer

USA eh??? From what people say... theres not many badminton supply stores in the US! Don't know about your area though.. maybe someone can recommend you some stores...

I dunno but from what I heard US sells racquets are really high prices!...

Heres a few sites you can check out.... some are in canada (canadian currency) some US.

USE www.xe.com to Convert currency!

www.Leesbadminton.com (based in Toronto, I think they ship though)
    www.badmintonalley.com

I dunno the winex website......

www.forzacanada.com (you'll get redirected to prizm)
    www.badmintonwarehouse.com

If anyone thinks of anymore .. then add to list by all means.

18. TDotSmAsHer

OH yea.. I'm sending you a email right now.

19. TDotSmAsHer

Email sent.... I think Lee's sells SP "special" racquets..... they carry CD as well... (I think... I dunno..) but probably wiser to email them for information first.

20. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    You can get some info on winex products via my web site.

http://www3.telus.net/K-SIS/Winex/index.htm

We willing be having a special promotion which have not been advertised yet but it's free shipping anywhere in N. America for products over Cdn$100.

You can also e-mail me directly for pricing info and also products availability.