Knowledge: Stringing machines

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Skanbuzz, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    All you stringing expert,

Just wondering:
    1) What is the best stringing machine?
    2) How many types are there?
    3) how it work?
    4) Are all stringing machine that use on Badminton the same as for Tennis or Squash?
    5) Are there machine that are for DIY stringer?

I hope someone can enlighten us with your experience and knowledge so we can appreciate the skill of a good stringer.

By the way, I am a total novice, so take it step by step and educate us

Thanks

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
  3. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

Wake up, he is in the right section.
    Skanbuzz, do some homework, browse all the threads here in this section, all your answer are out there.
    But one question definitely bears no answer is - "BEST". define it before you ask.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    ilovedude, the first post was not in the right section until it was moved here.
    phandrew pointed out the mistake before it was moved.

A little politeness goes a long way :)

5. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

Sorry, didn't know that.

6. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Well,
    1)There isnt a best machine out there. Its about the stringer and the budget.

2)There are 3types of machine, dropweight;manualcrank;electronic constant pull.

3)They work differently, i find electronic machines better in getting the desired tension, but requires more time compared to manual crank ones.

4)Not all machines are for badminton, tennis and squash. Some machines are made for badminton only. Example: Eagnas ST-250. But most machines now are compatible for badminton, tennis, squash.

5)All machines requires the stringer to DIY. So i guess all machines are DIY?:D

Hope this helps.:D:D:D

7. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    one important note: Remember to get badminton fixed clamps when you buy your machine. Most machines comes with tennis fixed clamps.:D

I guess it isnt the machine which is more important, ITS THE CLAMPS!:D:D:D:D

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can buy any stringing machine as long as you buy the badminton fixed clamps for the machine. Tennis and squash are too big for badminton rackets so it will be useless if you but a tennis stringing machine.

9. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi

Thanks for all the info.
    Question:

1) How do you recognise a tennis fixed cramp from a badminton fixed cramp?
    2) Could sgbad elaborate on "...i find electronic machines better in getting the desired tension, but requires more time compared to manual crank ones."?
    3) For badminton, what should you look for when shortlisting stringing machines?
    4) How many set of cramps are required?

Thanks

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Take a strung badminton racquet. See if all clamp's teeth fit between the string. If it does, it is a badminton clamp or it can be used for badminton racquet. Or you can take a look at this website and see the difference yourself. http://www.eagnas.com/tools.html#swivel
    2) Often time, you can crank and tension a string very quick with a hand crank tension head just by 1 or 2 quick turns. However, electric tension head takes longer time for motor to pull because it is checking the tension while it is pulling. Also the better tensioning head has pre-strech function which it goes over the the set tension by x% and release it slowly to the desire tension. That takes time.
    3) Here is my priority form a to c. Others might be different.
    a) accuracy (tension head + clamps)
    b) budget (how soon do you want to recover your cost of machine)
    c) how often do you string (speed kills)
    4) I do not know how many set of cramps is needed because I usually don't get any cramp while stringing. Depend on your machine. If you have a fix clamps machine, make sure you have a set of badminton fixed clamps for your machine and 1 YY fly clamp just in case. THIS IS JUST A RULE OF THUMB FROM MY EXPERIENCE! If you use only fly clamps, depend on the tension, if you do not go above 26 lb in general, 2 HiQua or MBS style fly clamps and 1 YY clamp is enough. If you go higher then that 2 HiQua style and 2 YY clamps will be better because you need to 2 clamps on each side. Do a search on the fly clamp issue.
    Good luck!

11. zeushi

zeushi Regular Member

lol.... owned himself right there.