User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This blog is not worth getting anyone's knickers in a knot.

Are we so thin-skinned that every puerile comment about badminton has to be rooted out and reacted to? (and in some instances reacting by stooping to make value judgements on other sports)

None of us need more gray hair. Chill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anything needs removing from the olympics, surely they act to publicise all kinds of sports, which (hopefully) will encourage participation in a sport someone previously didn't know existed. Thus resulting in more people having fun and keeping fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sevex View Post
    I don't think anything needs removing from the olympics, surely they act to publicise all kinds of sports, which (hopefully) will encourage participation in a sport someone previously didn't know existed. Thus resulting in more people having fun and keeping fit.
    I like to look it in a very negitive way if they want to remove badminton from the Olympics.
    SHAME for those that wants badminton to be remove. These are people MOSTLY are from Countries that that cannot accept defeat, can't win in this game therefore they want it be removed.

e.g USA and China are those in the top in achiving Gold Medals. USA does not have any chance of even to take any medal in this game, probally will be KO in the first round. Therefore why would they support Badminton in the Olympics? At the moments China is the top in badminton and therefore they will sure go few Golds for this sport.

The top few countries in Badminton are from Asia. Out of Asia, countries like Denmark and England will support Badminton in the Olympics.

Those countries that fear to lose will not want Badminton to be in the Olympics.

Whats your say??? Keep your bullets comming!!! Badminton will prevail, is forever !!!
    Last edited by DaveC; 08-02-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DaveC,

Don't worry. It is not USA jealousy for not having a chance at a gold medal that fuels commentators' negative statements about badminton. It is pure and absolute ignorance.

Sports commentators in North America know everything about football, baseball and basketball, and not a thing about much else. Therefore if it is ever brought to their attention (like in an Olympic year) then they ridicule it.
    You can't really blame them. When you are so engrossed in your favourite sports that you know every player, every statistic, every historical note, the number of Shaquille O'Neal's armpit hairs, etc, etc, then you have very little brain room left for anything else.

So don't worry. There is no grand North American plan to oust badminton from the Olympics. Those voices you hear don't care enough to even consider starting that petition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good post twobeer! There really are too many strange extreme minority sports. I enjoy watching unusual Olympic sports, but some (many of which you mention) really left me scratching my head.

Another problem for sports like equestrian is that a lot of money is needed to ship the horses over, and also the equestrian places need to be built. The gyms they use for badminton etc are multipurpose, but equestrian places are really specialized white elephants, and are probably underutilized after the Olympics.

Also, 99.999% of the people in the world would never get the chance to ride a horse, let alone own one for the olympics. Its too expensive. I admit there is a certain human skill involved, but at the top it ends up being a contest between the rich people as to who can buy the best horse...

U17 soccer is another bizzare one. Second class Olympics?

The artistic judging sports are also downright dodgy. Its like a judging political olympics. There is not much seperating the top few people, and for someone to judge who is better is insane.

Weightlifting is a very traditional sport, but surely lifting those massive weights cannot be healthy? This sport is also one of the best sports for drugs.

Why not combine a few sports. Have team vs team horseback archery with points awarded for style by a team of judges? Or bicycles instead of horses?

Women's beach volleyball is nice for aesthetic reasons :P.
    Last edited by NanoBatien; 08-04-2008 at 03:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team vs team horseback archery. Mongolia can win a medal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, as far as removing badminton because it being a sport that Americans are weak in, keep in mind that baseball is also being removed from the olympics and that's a sport that Americans excel in. The viewpoint expressed in this article is, yes, American, but America doesn't decide what sports should or should not be part of the Olympics. There is an international Olympic committee to make those decisions.

Not that I support the removal of badminton. But then again, I don't support the removal of baseball either.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wristworks View Post
    To be fair, as far as removing badminton because it being a sport that Americans are weak in, keep in mind that baseball is also being removed from the olympics and that's a sport that Americans excel in. The viewpoint expressed in this article is, yes, American, but America doesn't decide what sports should or should not be part of the Olympics. There is an international Olympic committee to make those decisions.

Not that I support the removal of badminton. But then again, I don't support the removal of baseball either.
    The difference between badminton and baseball is that baseball is an American sport not widely played internationally. Badminton is an international sport not widely played in the U.S. Another factor to consider is the amount of people playing these respective sports. Badminton is the second most played sport in the world, baseball is... err... the great American past time.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    The difference between badminton and baseball is that baseball is an American sport not widely played internationally. Badminton is an international sport not widely played in the U.S. Another factor to consider is the amount of people playing these respective sports. Badminton is the second most played sport in the world, baseball is... err... the great American past time.
    Not widely played? It's the national sport in Japan (one of the). It's big in Korea, Taiwan, South (Venezuela), Central and North America. The Dutch aren't bad either as is Italy although it's not considered a big sport in either country at least there is a hardcore following here. Australia is not half bad either so that makes 4/5 continents. Badminton is only big in two continents ...

Last edited by demolidor; 08-12-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I guess internationally would be a better word for it ... widely would be stretching it. But as long as the MLB doesn't take a mid-season break and let the best players compete I don't mind it being taken off for the time being .
    Last edited by demolidor; 08-12-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... saying that baseball is less of an international sport than badminton, if I may be excused for saying so, is a slightly ignorant remark. Baseball is actually a very popular sport all around the world. The World Baseball Classic, which made its first appearance 2 years ago, was a huge success, drawing from countries all over the world. Japan came out on top. The only problem with baseball, as demolidor pointed out, is that it takes place during the same time as the Olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides, my point remains that badminton not being popular in America is not the reason it's being pulled because a direct counter-example of this is that baseball, which IS popular in America, is also being pulled from the Olympics. In fact, both sports are getting lifted in the same year.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wristworks View Post
    Besides, my point remains that badminton not being popular in America is not the reason it's being pulled because a direct counter-example of this is that baseball, which IS popular in America, is also being pulled from the Olympics. In fact, both sports are getting lifted in the same year.
    wait. who says badminton is being pulled?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badm...-2012-olympics

haha. Oldhand!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2