should badminton be removed from the olympics?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by evylgrynn, Aug 1, 2008.

1. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

2. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    It just might be me, but for the lack of her actual experience with the "activity," you might think she'd come up with a better juxtaposition. It's not meaningful to just exploit a sport and denounce it by making it parallel to a sport that is absurdly not even similar in most, if any, aspects. Perhaps she's been dodging the badminton players out there and have finally come to a realization that no more should her own blogging "position" be compromised by the likes of having to blog about the sport, for she'll be christened a worse writer than she already is.

#2 Tsumaranai, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    God damit. Where did this mentality of badminton being a weak sport ever developed? I remember it on Arthur. Where Francine made fun of Sue-Ellen being captain of the badminton team.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

She's ignorant but we'll forgive her. I think it's to cause some commotion to attract people to her blog (they're not there for her literary talents). Look at the eclectic types who flock to her.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i should start my own blog and then make all these claims about soccer, american football, baseball, etc, being lame. i can totally see the $$$ rolling in!

oh wait. baseball is lame.

6. Tsumaranai

Student
    Haha, eh. Over-the-line is lame.

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Why not ban all sports in the Olympics then.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It's a very American point of view. In the eyes of the writer and her adoring readers, anything that the US aren't good at or do not play should be removed from the Olympics. Which leaves us American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Bull Riding, Bass Fishing and NASCAR :D:D:D

9. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Yeah I agree.. ban the olympics then..

Well, I believe badminton is better than tennis and more difficult to play than tennis.. but pretty chicks still play tennis so i like to watch tennis :p

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Why not ban the Olympics since that isn't a sport.:p:p:p

11. Tsumaranai

Student
    Perhaps it is that there aren't any banned sports, unless they are truly hazardous or violate legislation? I would say that if the U.S. has players qualifying for badminton in the Olympics, then it certainly has enough players. "Sport" has a very broad interpretation, anyway. However, in the case of the Olympics, the term is limited to describing events of physical activity.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

One word: linkbait

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    My list of events to scrap from Olympics are:

1) Equesttrian.
    The Olympics is about men and women competing against eachother.. Animals competing against each-other really has no place in the Olympics.

2) Syncronized Swimming.
    Originally called "water ballet"... OMG. Why not have beach ballet as well :p . It is even split into 6 !! different disciplines <rolleyes>..

3) BeachVolleyball.
    who ever came up with the idea to introduce this? Just as silly as having beach-soccer, beach-badminton or beach-tennis! Indoor wolleyball is just fine, Olympics don't need the beach version...

4) Trampoline.
    Is it a bird, is it a plane.. no its a trampoline jumper, being scored by the form of excecution.. Silly sport..

5) Softball.
    Isn't it enough with baseball, for the stamina challenged athletes to have as a recreational team-event?

6) Field hockey.
    the beach-hockey version.. can't we all just agree that hockey really belongs in the winter olympics, and only to the winter olympics...

7) Modern Penthatlon.
    Take any five sports and combine them to make a "new" sport.. Mathematically I beleive we can cosntruct another 9.3 billion Penthathlon versions for the next game :D

8) Rythmic gymnastics.
    "So you think you can dance" may be introduced in the olympics 2012.. sigh..Introducing Simon Cowell as IOC judge.

9) Sailing...
    The different diciplines of sailing, belongs in the olympics just as much as F1, Moto GP, Rally or truck-racing.

10) Soccer.
    With Olympics rules preventing the best teams to compete in the olympics. The Olympic soccer tournament is an utterly pointless waste of time.

11) Rowing/Kayak/Canoe.
    All in all 30!! medals to be awarded for differnt was of rowing a boat. (6 ways of moving a canoe forward, 10 ways of moving a kayak forward,14 ways of rowing...) Maybe it could be cut down to just a humble 10 ways of rowing a boat?? Or is the idea to have one discipline for each contestnat, so everyone gets a medal, and gets happy :)

12) Syncronized diving.
    oh please. WHo ever made these sports up??? Guess we should just be happy that there isn't Syncronized pole-jump, synchronized long-jump, synchronized shooting and syncronized boxing in the games..

13) race-walking.
    It's like competing in who an make the loudest whisper....

/Twobeer

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I think Lindsay Schnell should be banned from the Olympics:D:D:D

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    :D :D :D no, need, I bet she wont qualify, even if blogging gets accepted by IOC :D :D :D

16. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

I agree, it seems to be a typical American POV. I just read the Bob Malaythong story before I read that blog, what a contrast, after reading of his sacrifices towards the sport I wonder how he would feel that the writer is comparing the sport he has dedicated his life to, to extreme dodgeball.

17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Thats why I hope that 2016 wont be in USA....so many sports have to be deleted....badminton is more populra, more real sport...in baseball..you can still chew gums and drink beer while playing....lol

18. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

This blog is not worth getting anyone's knickers in a knot.

Are we so thin-skinned that every puerile comment about badminton has to be rooted out and reacted to? (and in some instances reacting by stooping to make value judgements on other sports)

None of us need more gray hair. Chill.:cool:

19. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I don't think anything needs removing from the olympics, surely they act to publicise all kinds of sports, which (hopefully) will encourage participation in a sport someone previously didn't know existed. Thus resulting in more people having fun and keeping fit.

20. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    I like to look it in a very negitive way if they want to remove badminton from the Olympics.
    SHAME for those that wants badminton to be remove. These are people MOSTLY are from Countries that that cannot accept defeat, can't win in this game therefore they want it be removed.

e.g USA and China are those in the top in achiving Gold Medals. USA does not have any chance of even to take any medal in this game, probally will be KO in the first round. Therefore why would they support Badminton in the Olympics? At the moments China is the top in badminton and therefore they will sure go few Golds for this sport.

The top few countries in Badminton are from Asia. Out of Asia, countries like Denmark and England will support Badminton in the Olympics.

Those countries that fear to lose will not want Badminton to be in the Olympics.

Whats your say??? Keep your bullets comming!!! Badminton will prevail, is forever !!!

#20 DaveC, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008