options of shots when receiving in doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Shadowdrgn20, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

What are good options in shots when receiving serves in doubles? From my couple years of playing, these are the shots I've experienced using.

(I'm right handed and assuming opponent did not flick serve)
    Right Side:
    - Rush receive and drive downward towards backhand
    - Cut, tight net drop to the right of you, forcing opponent to clear
    - Quick drop to the right in between front and back player, usually ends rally (If I can rush in early enough)
    - After experiencing this first hand; rush and drive down the middle towards back player's chest

Left Side: (most of the same thing, usually just in opposite direction)
    - Rush receive and drive crosscourt towards backhand
    - Quick drop to the left
    - Drive down middle

I'm pretty sure there are probably a lot more options that I either missed or just don't know about. What are some shots you guys do?

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    There are many ways to return the serve: cross dropshot, dropshot, drive, clear, smash... It depends on the timing of your return.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Serve to T, or straight:
    -straight netshot
    -netshot to lines (push to the right side)
    -push to either forehand or backhand side
    -lift to sidelines
    - (if the serve is really bad) rush to kill
    -rush, fake a push, block

Wide:
    -crosscourt drive
    -straight netshot
    -straight push
    -kill
    -lift

Those are assuming they're all short serves. Usually, I'm up for netshots, pushes, and blocks, but sometimes I have to lift.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    a really good one, which i learnt from watching the chinese doubles players Cai and Fu is the straight drop. you really need to take it as high as possible, probably at the same height as a push shot. nothing below the net.

it's not a net shot as much, but a very very soft push. it should land just past the service line. most servers simply don't expect it, and even if they have their racquet up, it's very hard to deal with once below the net. it cuts down the angle of return, meaning your back court partner has a higher chance of intercepting it. many end up drilling it straight into the net. one person left it for their partner behind them and ate one in the back of the head because the partner couldn't angle it past him :D

one of the best reasons why to do this is because not only is it effective, it's very hard to hit it out as your aiming into the center of the court. however, don't use it too often, but can be used as a shot choice if your other shots aren't working well. just be aware of hitting it below the net. you might end up putting it too high and your partner or you suffer. it takes practise for sure. but once perfected, it is both a dangerous attacking shot, and a good shot to fall back on if your other returns are not finding its mark

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In men's doubles, the objective of the receiving service side is to gain the attack from the outset. The receiver must take up an attacking receiving base as near the front service line as possible; take low serves as near the tape as possible; if on balance, smash all flicks and high serves; aim into the body or into gaps; clear and lob only, yes only, under pressure; and use deception.

6. hopsmashpro

hopsmashpro Regular Member

Student
    Right side
    Slide to the right but hit the shuttle to the left....works every time...mwhahahaha (in the first point)

7. mann68

mann68 Regular Member

banker
    one of the games i played i was dealing with a doubles team whose one server was doing a net serve but it was a little higher... i was in the right court reciving and i rushed in and pushed it hard to the back court to the forehand side of the back player... WHO IN RETURN HIT A FLAT DRIVE BACK AT ME ...as i was on the net i could not respond and it landed behind me for a winner!!!

next time the server did that serve i went again with the same shot and the net result was the same!!

then i changed my tactic to going towards the middle or not hitting the shot so hard but with enough pace so that it lands in the middle.. which worked better!!

so from the right court on short high serve what is the best thing to do? remember you are going to take the shot with your forehand so a fast push to the opponents backhand might not be possible.. ( right ? )

8. CUTTER

CUTTER Regular Member

student
    i also do this but i tend to aim at the player's body or head. this always works for me..... (i damaged people's eyes a lot.....)

9. painkilla86

painkilla86 Regular Member

student
    i always have 2 deceptive shots which will garanty atleast 2 points until they are prepared fore it. if im receiving on the left field as right handed player and the shuttle comes on my forehand i switch forehand to a reversed? backhand and slice the shuttle so my racket moves horizontaly o the right and the shuttle go left halfway. Kinda har to explain but.

The second one is actualy in the same situation but now take it on your forhand hold loosly and let the racket hold stil while you move forward and just al little slice/push so its goes right side over the net while your basicly thrusting forwardish. Also hard to explain but work very often and lets the enemy just stands still watching the shutle drop as the second enemy player on the back of the field has a very hard time of geussing where the shuttle goes.

10. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Well, if you are talking about doubles, that is your partners' fault because he /she suppose to stand behind you ready to attack/defend anything that goes pass you when you are attacking the serve. Attacking a bad serve is the right idea especially yours aimming to their backhand side. But if you attack it, make sure the birdy goes downward too, because that might be the reason they can drive it. ( i can't imagine an underhand drive, cause that would usually just be a strong lift)

#10 Birdy, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  11. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    For doubles, I thought, you are suppose to always advoid clearing or lifting the serve, because the purpose of receiving serve is to make the opponents lift so you can gain the offensive position. For me, i think the best service return are net cuts/drops .

12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    not necessarily. the fact is he said it himself. he RUSHED into the net. you simply can't do that against decent players who can drive. you just don't have the reflexes to cut off a drive so close to the net. the thing to keep in mind is that generally, the harder you hit it, the harder and faster it comes back at you. so if you do a big drive, your opponent usually won't give you a big fat easy shot at the net. good players will bang it back just as hard. meaning if you stand too close, you won't react. in doubles, if you drive down the line, it is YOUR job at the net to TAKE ALL STRAIGHT DRIVES. the back player should only handle full court lifts and cross courts drives. straight drives are just too hard for the back player to cover while having to worry about lifts and cross courts.

so if you're losing points because they're driving it straight, pass you, step back until you can handle it. it's not really the rear court players fault, especially on the straight reply