The right raquets for a left hander?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by slayer22, Aug 3, 2008.

1. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    heys, i've been playing badminton for about 2 years now. practically for fun lol. im average or below average not not 100% noob lol. i need new racquets that will be good for my level.

im a left hander, my drop shots are decent but i have trouble clearing from the very back of the court to the other side, but i can clear from 3/4 of the court to the other back.

atm i use a finnex pro carbon, not sure of the string tensions as a friend got it for me.

link to the racquet is here

http://translate.google.com.au/tran...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=vRw

i want another 2 racquets, preferabbly from yonex as i can get easy access to them.

ty ty

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Do you intend to buy from AUS? You should buy from online websites since you will save money. Have you considered other brands like Apacs, SOTX or RSL? Can describe your playing style?

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    what can i say about the title?
    right racket for the left-hander? is there any racket design for left-hander? :confused:

i can see that you are having some troubles for back to back clears.
    maybe you should try restring your racket before jump into new rackets.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    A lower tension should solve the problem. You can try NBG95.

5. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    probaly online....lol my string is tight . i had it strung from the beginning as it didnt come with stock string. i've used my friends armortec 800 . and it doesnt feel right for me..possibly because im not use to it but yeah =S

playing style? hmmm. i prefer drop shots. my smashes are slow as =S

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Then go with SOTX DF900 or W8.

7. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    where am i able to get that? my location is near springers lesiure centre.

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You have to buy SOTX online to get them. You can try Puppysports.

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If I were you, I'd rather get a few weeks of coaching rather than a new racquet or two.
    If you could learn how to clear fullcourt in a couple of days, then you'd be able to produce alot more power with that new skill/technique than the new racquet.

If you desperately want a racquet, what's your budget ?
    If you ultimately want a racquet to help you produce as much power as possible, why not try the Armortec700 ? That's one damn powerful racquet IMO.

Since you're "average or below average not not 100% noob", I reckon that it will take you a long time to break your strings, or maybe you'll cut them before they break because of the tension dropping excessively.
    Why not try a top-end string then ? Try [nbg98 or bg66 at 22x24lbs] or maybe perhaps [bg85 or bg80 at 21x23lbs]. They can help you produce as much power as possible, but not as much as compared to having the right stroke technique.

As drifit suggested, it's a better idea for you to try restringing your racquet first. If that doesn't help you produce more power for full-court clearing, then get a powerful racquet such as the AT700 or AT900P, but they can be very hard to get used to.
    The best option is to get your racquet restrung and to get coached.

Remember, you hit the shuttle with the strings, not the racquet's frame ;)

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The racket might be fine but the tension is too high for you. You can try NBG98 or NBG95 at 22lbs and go from there.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't understand why one would recommend such expensive strings for a beginner.

12. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Wouldn't you want a string that has good power and durability for a beginner?

13. Marshmallow64

Marshmallow64 Regular Member

Stringing from a low end string to a high end one isnt that big of a difference in terms of pricing, might as well shell out that additional 3-5 us dollars.

14. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    lol. okay my current racquet is strung at 23LBS . it is bg65 i believe.

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    bg65 @ 23lbs for 2 years......?
    is time to cut it. restring it. refer to jhirata's post for some recommendations.
    not necessary go for high end string @ high price.
    do take note, not all stringer can do a nice job on bg65. without pre-stretch, the string will loose tension too fast, soon, it will be not nice to play....:)

16. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    lol my bad. i've only had this racquet for about 7months.

17. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    if you really do want to get a new racquet based on what you have said and you have said you used your friends at800 and it doesnt feel right well the racquet your using on the site it says its medium flex and if you a recreational/playing for fun and not going ot get coaching or anything at the present moment i wouldnt really advise that you go to a stiff racquet (yonex at700 or yonex at900 or any of their stiff racquets) you would want to stay away from those for a while unless you get coaching.

reason being is they require a compact explosive swing to fully utalize them and to get the most power out of them, where as a flexible racquet you can get power just like that since its what there designed for players who dont have a compact swing. for you though if you dont want to grab some coaching and just want to grab a new racquet try to look for one thats flexible or medium flex since sounds like your not yet ready for a stiff racquet. as for not being able to clear full court that could be more of a technique issue rather than a string/racquet issue. cause to be honest wheather the strings are 16lbs or 28lbs with the right technique you can clear full court no poblems.

18. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

kwun: "i don't understand why one would recommend such expensive strings for a beginner." The aussie/nz stringing costs are quite high, maybe NZ$20/$30 for a stringing if you don't know where to go, so string cost is not so important, but durability is critical.

OP: 3/4 court clear is a bit short, its most likely your technique. Nevertheless, try a restring first, it should help a bit, maybe gain a metre :p. Maybe try NBG95. Its a bit slippery for net shots, but is durable and powerful. The slipperiness shouldnt matter too much for now. BG80 is nice, but not that durable, mine wears through and breaks in about 3 months.

I suggest buying online. mybadmintonstore.com has free shipping, so probably good for getting string etc.

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you get Jacky or David to do the stringing it's $10 labour. I also have packets of NBG95 and NBG98 if you want to buy from me.

20. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    i bought a nanospeed 9000 X .. will give it a test run.. did have a few swings in my house and it feels better when i swing it .