Is it me or is it the string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by iph03n1xi, Aug 3, 2008.

1. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

I used to have a Yonex BG 80 at 23 lbs on my Nanospeed 8000. It held up and kept going for about 6 months, and then it snapped. When I got it restrung, I switched over to an Ashaway Micro Power at 24 lbs. However, on the third day that I played with the new string, the string snapped on a mishit. After getting it strung again with the same string at the same tension, the string yet again snapped, this time on the first game of the second day of use.

I've never had this string-snapping problem before, even though I mishit when I had my BG 80 just as much as I did with the Micro Power.

Someone told me that the Ashaway Micro Power strings are somewhat fragile in terms of durability, but on the DinkALot chart they have a better rating than the BG 80. My BG 80 lasted 6 months, while I went through 2 Micro Power strings in about 10 days.

My question is, are the Ashaway Micro Power strings easily breakable, or do I just need to work on my timing more?

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Which line(s) of string did you snap? :)
    Those at the top of the frame? Center? Bottom?

3. mlanthier

mlanthier Regular Member

I had the same problem stringing with Ashaway string from USA. The problem never occured since I changed for Asian Ashaway strings.

4. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

The first time was at the 12 o'clock position, and the split ends resulting from the snap were of equal length. I think they snapped on the outside of the top grommet, but I didn't get a real good look.

The second time was today, near the 7 o'clock position. It occurred near the lone knot in a 4-knot stringing pattern. I didn't get a very good look at this either, as I was in the middle of a match in a tournament.

For reference, the Yonex BG 80 that lasted 6 months was an SP string, while the two Ashaway Micro Power strings were US strings.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    How are the grommets?

Could it also be a stringer error?

6. nipoy

nipoy Regular Member

college student
    I had the same experience b4, I think newly strung AMP strings often snaps @ miss hits. Well that was what I had experience b4 I change to BG strings

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The MP asian version is thinner so shouldn't snap faster?

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Mis-hit can cause a lot of more damage than the normal strokes, especially if the gromments are also in bad shape. The stringer's skill sometimes can contribute to higher risk as well.

My suggestion is to visit an experienced stringer, let him/her check all the gromments, replace the damaged ones then re-string.