User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default looking for a new racket (solid feel, head-heavy)

    people...

    i just broke my racket and looking for a new one.

    my preferences are: solid feel, head-heavy, and strong, durable frame.
    i play doubles, like defending (return smashes), enjoy long rally, and hard-earned points. i'd like a racket that gives more power to my smashes, which is not my best weapon, so i'll have the kill. any recommendations? any budget ones?

    btw, i just broke 2 rackets in a month.

    first, my Wilson racket. i forgot the series. but its nano (maybe nForce 800), mostly white with some silver, has the thing to change the shaft flex (never used that feature). its a decent racket, my spare.

    second, my dear Yonex Armortec 800 Offensive. this is the best racket i have ever used. its light, but still heavy head, so great for doubles where games are fast paced and powerful. very solid feel, i love it on my backhands and smashes. flex is just enough for me, too give extra repulsion. i usually string it 28 with Yonex BG66.

    well that's the past. btw, i broke 2 armortec 800 off in 3 years. both clashing with my partner, and just a bit of scratch on his racket. makes me think do i really have to sacrifice that much money and vulnerability for a great racket? please advice...

    btw, i have used yonex nanospeed 8000. its a great racket but not for me. too balanced, light.
    my first racket was yonex carbonex 8 tour. great racket for its time. will never forget that one. my favorite player used it, Haryanto Arbi aka 100 watts smash
    now i'm using ASTEC 23. it Alan Budikusuma & Susi Susanti's product. cheap compared to yonex, so i don't expect much. its really shaky, too light for me. but its a fast racket. decent for defending, fast drives, netting.
    Last edited by alternat0; 08-04-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typing error

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How about try SOTX; Woven 11, Woven 7, or Diamond fighter 600 are all attacking racquets, heavy, solid feel.

    For Yonex, the closest you can get is AT700 or AT900P in 3U, which is more durable than 4U. However, most people find the SOTX racquets more durable.

  3. #3
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,332
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alternat0 View Post
    people...

    i just broke my racket and looking for a new one.

    my preferences are: solid feel, head-heavy, and strong, durable frame.
    i play doubles, like defending (return smashes), enjoy long rally, and hard-earned points. i'd like a racket that gives more power to my smashes, which is not my best weapon, so i'll have the kill. any recommendations? any budget ones?

    btw, i just broke 2 rackets in a month.

    first, my Wilson racket. i forgot the series. but its nano (maybe nForce 800), mostly white with some silver, has the thing to change the shaft flex (never used that feature). its a decent racket, my spare.

    second, my dear Yonex Armortec 800 Offensive. this is the best racket i have ever used. its light, but still heavy head, so great for doubles where games are fast paced and powerful. very solid feel, i love it on my backhands and smashes. flex is just enough for me, too give extra repulsion. i usually string it 28 with Yonex BG66.

    well that's the past. btw, i broke 2 armortec 800 off in 3 years. both clashing with my partner, and just a bit of scratch on his racket. makes me think do i really have to sacrifice that much money and vulnerability for a great racket? please advice...

    btw, i have used yonex nanospeed 8000. its a great racket but not for me. too balanced, light.
    my first racket was yonex carbonex 8 tour. great racket for its time. will never forget that one. my favorite player used it, Haryanto Arbi aka 100 watts smash
    now i'm using ASTEC 23. it Alan Budikusuma & Susi Susanti's product. cheap compared to yonex, so i don't expect much. its really shaky, too light for me. but its a fast racket. decent for defending, fast drives, netting.
    In your own words, the AT-800 works extremely well for you.
    Why would you want to now try to adapt to an unfamiliar one?

    Play with a bit more caution... and your racquet will live longer

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Go with SOTX W7 or W11. If into yonex then go with AT700, AT900P/T but make sure the AT rackets are 3U because it will have more durability than 4U version.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i will get a new AT800off. but i want to try something new, similar or even if it exist plays better overall, specially more durable and if possible cheaper. its like entering to an unknown realm, that's why i'm asking for opinions, since i know people out there have tried more rackets then me, new ones included.

    but since those rackets are around US$100+ (am i right?), i'm also looking for a budget one for reserve, if possible the same play.

    if you have recommendations, i might even say goodbye forever to at800off.

    btw, i live in d philippines, but i'm indonesian (hometown manado, have access to jakarta & bandung), and my family is in US. so i got some options where to purchase if you're recommending.

    i heard from a friend that TOALSON is good. any available reviews? i can get discounted ones too

    if anybody from indonesia, i tried 2 different HART racquets (its Haryanto Arbi's line i think). a purple metallic and a red/white/blue. it both felt good, solid feel, head heavy. i like it. any further reviews?

    as of my experience playing badminton: i have played since elementary up to now i'm in gradutate school. play usually with friends, since we know each other well its quite competitive. we sometimes join amateur tournaments at second/third level to the best, but in usual games could sometimes end up playing with someone who just missed it to the national training center in indonesia. so i would say intermediate-advance level.
    i play 2-4 times a week around 2-4 hours each.
    Last edited by alternat0; 08-04-2008 at 09:17 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Were your previous AT800OF racquets 4U or 3U? What tension are you used to?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    its a 4U/G4, SP coded.

    in my place everybody use BG66 w/ 28/30 tension. so i tend to go with the flow. feels ok, more power. but i've used thicker strings with less tension also, more control.

    coz i move a lot, it depends on where i am. the former if i'm in indo, and the latter if i'm in phils/us. this actually helps in the games, IMHO. in indo, i need to play faster, and need more powerful shots, specially smashes. while in phils/us, i play smarter and with more tenacity. btw, its not generalizing the country, but the gym and people i play with. it complements each other really well bring me to a higher level of play.
    Last edited by alternat0; 08-05-2008 at 12:10 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alternat0 View Post
    its a 4U/G4, SP coded.

    in my place everybody use BG66 w/ 28/30 tension. so i tend to go with the flow. feels ok, more power. but i've used thicker strings with less tension also, more control.

    coz i move a lot, it depends on where i am. the former if i'm in indo, and the latter if i'm in phils/us. this actually helps in the games, IMHO. in indo, i need to play faster, and need more powerful shots, specially smashes. while in phils/us, i play smarter and with more tenacity. btw, its not generalizing the country, but the gym and people i play with. it complements each other really well bring me to a higher level of play.
    Don't go with what other people use for their tension because it may not work for you.

  9. #9
    Regular Member jhirata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand, New Z
    Posts
    2,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phandrew View Post
    Don't go with what other people use for their tension because it may not work for you.
    His usual tension is 28lbs, so 30lbs is only a slight difference. It won't cause him any pains or injuries if he's already used to 28lbs if he has the right technique ( which i believe he does, because he already uses 28lbs ).

    However, I'm also suggesting him with you, that he shouldn't string it at such high tensions because the higher the tension is, the more likely it is for the racquet to break.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Phillipines,Laguna
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    try looking for the rsl millenium 7 diamond x2 series..
    it's durable plus they have four models which only differ in color and weight and all of them are head-heavy..

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you liked the 4U AT800OF, try getting a 3U; a tad slower, but more powerful and better durability.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    How about try SOTX; Woven 11, Woven 7, or Diamond fighter 600 are all attacking racquets, heavy, solid feel.

    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by phandrew View Post
    Go with SOTX W7 or W11. If into yonex then go with AT700, AT900P/T but make sure the AT rackets are 3U because it will have more durability than 4U version.
    about the SOTX's...
    is there any comparison between this 3 recommended rackets (W7, W11, DF600)? because i saw the website and there is not much difference in terms of physical specs (balance point, flexibility, weight, length, etc).
    what about W7i and W11i? what's the difference with the regular ones?


    Quote Originally Posted by crimson_eyes13 View Post
    try looking for the rsl millenium 7 diamond x2 series..
    it's durable plus they have four models which only differ in color and weight and all of them are head-heavy..
    you would recommend this over millennium 8 diamond x2 series?
    oh... the website says differences in flexibility on m7 diamond x2 series, pare but no info on balance point.


    i think i would prefer stiff to x-stiff rackets, coz i rely much on accuracy.
    Last edited by alternat0; 08-05-2008 at 09:51 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir - Singapore
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    alternat0, for the SOTX rackets, can refer to the thread below.. It has some useful reviews on SOTX Woven rackets..

    http://badmintoncentral.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34889

    Quote Originally Posted by alternat0 View Post
    about the SOTX's...
    is there any comparison between this 3 recommended rackets (W7, W11, DF600)? because i saw the website and there is not much difference in terms of physical specs (balance point, flexibility, weight, length, etc).
    what about W7i and W11i? what's the difference with the regular ones?




    you would recommend this over millennium 8 diamond x2 series?
    oh... the website says differences in flexibility on m7 diamond x2 series, pare but no info on balance point.


    i think i would prefer stiff to x-stiff rackets, coz i rely much on accuracy.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can also read DinkAlot's racket review to get a comparison.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    : 07-08-2011, 07:05 PM
  2. Heavy + Head Heavy Racket
    By criteria in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 19
    : 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM
  3. BG65 has more solid feel compared with BG66 ?
    By exxn0mercy in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 1
    : 09-02-2009, 06:15 AM
  4. Head heavy very stiff Oval Head racket ???
    By pussiii999 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 17
    : 12-19-2008, 05:19 AM
  5. Got a YY Ti-10, (first gen?) very solid feel
    By Armortec2010 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 37
    : 10-10-2008, 10:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •