Grip For Non-Sweaty Hands?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Phouma, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Phouma

Phouma Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,

I pretty much do not sweat at all on my hands when I play. The thing I notice is that my grips end up feeling amazingly dry and crappy. I like that tacky feeling of new grips - which seems to be preserved by sweat lol.

Don't know if there's any grips you guys recommend, I've tried a wide range of Wilson/Yonex/Karakal/Black Knight grips - none of which really made a difference.

I've tried wetting my grips after I play but it doesn't seem to do much. Any suggestions?

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Try reading DinkAlot's grip review.

3. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    DinkALot's grip review would tell you how good or bad the grips are, but it doesn't tell you the reason why your grip becomes dry and crappy after being used for some time.

first of all, i assume you are referring to PU (rubber) grips...

almost all new PU grips are tacky when they are new, some "tackier", some less tacky, and you can pretty much throw it away if it isn't all.

you know why? do you notice that almost all new grips have a thin lining on it when it's brand new unused? you have to peel that lining off when you wrap the grip on the racket handle. some grips don't have that lining, but they are packed in an individual packing with cardboard and plastic cover, like batteries.

the thing that makes your grip dry and slippery is called DUST, especially when you have a non-sweaty hand, and especially if you come from a country with cooler and drier climate, all rubbers get slippery after they are used then left exposed to dust, including your court shoes soles.

your sweat does not preserve the tackiness, rather it speeds up the oxidation and hence decomposing the rubber.

if you want to preserve tackiness of the grip after use, apply a tiny bit of water to clean off the sweat, then wipe your grip dry with a clean towel (not your sweaty towel), then wrap a cling film over it. this way, the grip has a little bit of moisture and dust is kept away by the film. it does make a difference.

if you have friends who are serious "ping-pong" players, ask them how they preserve their bat rubbers...

#3 winstonchan, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. eddychow

eddychow Regular Member

Nice info. Thanks.
    I'll ask my friends who play "ping-pong" to know about their practices. :)

5. sierra117

sierra117 Regular Member

Engineering Student
    For me, Yonex Waterfit Grips are fairly good, kinda pricey ($10 Canadian) but they last for quite sometime.

6. sierra117

sierra117 Regular Member

Engineering Student
    Sorry, I thought it was for sweaty hands. (I didn't read carefully)