How to string a racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mozartcova, May 25, 2002.

1. mozartcova

mozartcova Regular Member

To all experienced stringer out there...

I've just bought a 2 points mounting stringing machine. I know, I know, I should have bought a 4 points mounting, but I'm too cheap ...

So, I'm a rookie in stringing rackets. I'd really appreciate if any of you can give me some directions ...

As you all might have noticed, most stringing instructions found on the net are for tennis, which don't really work for badminton. Anyway, I read through many of the threads and found some of the best tips. Unfortunately, I don't even have the basic skills to make use of the tips...:)

Here's what I got so far from my little research:

-- 4 knots (2 piece stringing) is better than 2 knots(1 piece stringing).

-- Main String takes 18 ft and Cross string takes 15 ft.

-- After stringing, 1 knot near head of racket and 3 knots near throat of racket.

-- If string with 2 point mounting stringer, cross tension should be 1-2 pounds more tension than main tension.

-- String Main string from middle to sides. String Cross string from Top(head) to Bottom(Throat).

Agree? Good. Here comes my stupid question...

1. When stringing the main, Should I LACE all the way from middle to side THEN TENSION it and tie the knot? OR should I LACE - TENSION - CLAMP - LACE - TENSION -CLAMP ....... THEN KNOT? I have seen both that's why I ask.

2. When stringing the cross from Top to Bottom, how do I start? TIE THE KNOT near the head(top), and LACE - TENSION(each lace) ... then tie the knot?

Anyone knows where I can find instructions to string a badminton racket? Preferably with photos. As you might have noticed, my main problem is GETTING STARTED with 2-piece stringing method.

Thanks for reading my thread. Any input will be very much appreciated.

-- Mozart Cova

2. ASD

ASD Regular Member

d
    this pic may be useful for you

[​IMG]

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Mozart,
    You didn't specify whether you got a drop weight, crank or electronic stringing machine but I will go with the assumption that it is a drop weight.

Now, I am no expert here and really instructions for stringing a badminton racquet is almost non-existent on the Net. Even stringing patterns are hard to come by. As to your questions, you are better to lace, tension, clamp, lace, tension, clamp and then finally knot at the end. For how to do the knots, check out this site (it's for tennis but the knots are pretty standard) http://www.sptennis.com/stringer.asp

To start off the main, you run the string through the middle (two mains), use the starting clamp to close off one end of the string outside the throat of the racquet, tension the other side (you need to ensure that the string is stretched fully when you tension), then clamp the two strings on the inside. Repeat the lace, tension, clamp process, alternating each side as you go along. The string is tensioned at the correct tension when the lever with the drop weight is horizontal to the table top. It might take some practice to get it going smoothly but make sure that you drop the weight slowly so that the string can stretch properly.

For the cross (two piece stringing), you should tie the knot first and then lace, lace, tension, clamp (need two strings to clamp), then lace, tension, clamp, etc.. until the last knot.

With two-point mounting system, you need to be careful with stringing above 22 lbs as you might crack the frame at higher tension because the machine is only holding the frame at the 12/6 o'clock positions.

Take a look at the Yonex's stringing pattern and keep in mind that the red arrows indicate the starting position. Notice that the main string pattern towards the side is a bit different than just lace, tension but lace, tension, skip the 10T & 11T, tension the 12T and then end with the 10T.

Hope this helps.

#3 Winex West Can, May 27, 2002
    Last edited: May 27, 2002
  4. mozartcova

mozartcova Regular Member

Thanks for the helpful informations, guys. I really appreciate that.

Yes. I have the cheapest kind of stringing machine you can get out there. That's right! 2 point mounting system, drop weight, and flying clamps. :)

Anyway, does the "special" Yonex stringing pattern only apply to Isometric(square) frame racket or both square and oval? I've never seen that done before.

I realized one of the disadvantages of 2 points mounting system is the lack of capablity on stringing a racket in higher weight. The most I will go is probably 22 lbs. I hope that will be OK.

Thanks again.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    WWC

This is from an USRSA certified stringer

Did you know that Yonex racquets have to be strung in one piece string. The cross strings have to start at the bottom of the racquet and finish at the top. Also some of the top Yonex racquets need to have the cross strings tensioned at a different tension to that of the main strings. I rest my case.

Didn't i said there is a major conflict of methodology here??
    I rest my case.

#5 cooler, May 27, 2002
    Last edited: May 27, 2002
  6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    cooler,
    apparently that one-piece stringing recommendation from Yonex was made with reference to Yonex tennis racquets. (at least that was what I was told).

I think regardless, most manufacturers probably has both one-piece and two-piece stringing. The ones that are less common are the Prince (with the Y joint) and Babolat (with their satellite stringing). The Babolat stringing is pretty unique in that each hole only carries one string and is supposely more efficient for stringers.

I still have not seen any thing on how to start the cross from the top to the throat in a one-piece stringing although I've been told that there are techiques that can be used to accomplished this.

7. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    yonex and one piece string

My former coach, who usually strings (and in case i need a new one, delivers)
    my yonex rackets, told me, when a yonex badminton racket is strung in one piece,
    the manufacturer frame guarantee will always void in case of braking the frame
    for no reason ...
    but this will probably won't make much difference for most of the
    forum visitors, since most like to have their rackets strung above the recommended
    tensions anyway ;)

8. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Re: this pic may be useful for you

Sorry to be beating on a dead horse, but did anyone noticed how the last 2 columns of the mains were strung in the diagram? Is this the new & improved pattern to do the mains?

:)

#8 AKFT, Jun 6, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2002
  9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What's the last column about?

Hi guys & gals,

What is the last column on the right hand side of the Yonex chart about? Does anyone know? Thanks!

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it reads "PEEJO". which i think means "page" number. :)

11. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

I think those numbers refer to the page numbers the corresponding rackets are listed in the Yonex catalog. What I am refering to is the lateral "mains" string columns shown in the bottom right stringing pattern diagram. Notice how the outermost strings are strung before the second outermost ones are done. Is this the way Muscle Power frames are supposed to be strung?

:)

12. mokkelbo

mokkelbo Regular Member

Re: this pic may be useful for you

Can Anyone translate the picture that shows the diffrent stringing on yonex-rackets.
    Thanks