Sydney clubs?

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by tk009, Aug 6, 2008.

1. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    Just moved to Sydney and Im looking to get back into badminton and get fit again after a 2 year absence. I live in Newtown and I was wondering if there are any good badminton clubs that arent 'too' far away. Specifically Im looking for a club that competes in inter-club weekly competitions, trains regularly as well as playing social games. I would rate myself somewhere between C and D grade.

2. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Badminton in Sydney

Hi TK009,

The nearest clubs to your place are University of Sydney ( Wed evening and Saturday afternoon) or Dulwich Hill Badminton clubs. Both are quite active and have playing grades at all levels.

Sad to say interclub competitions are almost non existence in Sydney compared to Melbourne. One of the reason is that there are only few clubs wiling in participate in these competition. Usually one play about three or four clubs home and away at C grade or lower level. Also since there are only few clubs in the interclub and so cannot be organised on a inter-zone basis, the clubs have to travel long distance for their away matches ( sometimes the car trip is 1 hour).

However there are tournaments organised by Sydney Badminton Associations and Greater Badminton Association of Sydney ( two rival clubs). These tournaments are for all grades from A-D.
    You might like to check on their web page and check out.

Happy badminton

Permanis

3. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    Thanks for the info Permanis I got the feeling things were a bit different up here. It clears alot up.