Racket dont count!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I'm playing in a team that has a big difference in terms of skill level between the rank 1 to the ranked 20. I'm ranked 5th and i used to pair up with the no.3 guy. We always played against the rank 1, 2 singles players in doubles. But the no.1 guy is a damn arrogant guy that never loses. But he uses a Ti-10 strung at 25lbs with a Yonex BG-65 Ti. The racket doesn't count he always says.......

Anyone have any views on this? Does the racket really make any difference or is it just psychological?

thanx for all replies

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No, why should make much difference?

Perhaps in a different way, u can turn it to your advantage...if your games are very close and there's not too much difference in your level of play.

My understanding is that Ti10 is a more head heavy racket. It would need a stronger wrist to turn it quickly.
    Logically, then a game with lots of clears will result in heavier smashes.

Shots to consider would be flat, drives to the body, straight and diagonal and cross court lifts.If you do have to lift, make sure it gets to the back two lines and don;t lift to the guy with the Ti (presuming he is the better rearcourt player).

Assuming there is a bigger difference in your playing level, then the answer is to train more with somebody who can see your weaknesses and correct them.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I think the racquet has a psychological effect. It worked on you, didn't it? You think he's a bit better just because he's got that Ti10, right? ;-)

But seriously, of course the racquet matters! But not in the way that you get better just because you have this or that model. The most important thing is to find something you feel reasonably happy with, and stick with it. Don't underestimate the importance of getting used to your own racquet. Really, if you're used to it, almost any graphite racquet will out-perform the Ti10 (or the MP100, or an AS-1, etc etc).

4. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Mag, Cheung, i was just using the Ti-10 as an example....... i'm not saying hes better because hes got a Ti-10. I have a Ti-10 but my wrist isn't strong enough to use it so i don't. I prefer my Ti-7. Its head is lighter and easier to control.

thanx anyway.....

anyone else got comments or opinions?

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

RE: Racket don't count!

That's exactly what I thought you meant!
    Wrist strength can always be improved upon with supplementary exercises.
    Try it for two weeks everyday.

It works for me.

6. KL

KL Guest

Sometimes racquets do count. If you are using old wooden or aluminium

racquets they may be different from modern power racquets.

Sometimes racquets within top yonex ranges have minor differences

and you can get used to each type by adjusting to racquets, draft,

shuttles etc.Maybe one is just concerned about power for doubles

play, whilst singles might require more adapting to opponents and conditions.

Most pros I know insist that a properly strung racquet provides most

consistency.
    Just my view, if it helps.

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

I would think that the wooden and heavy steel rackets do make a difference...... they are too heavy for most players and are often pretty crap.

I get what you mean though...... I was actually talking about rackets like the Ti-10 vs Isometric Swing Power 500 SX or something. I had a topic on Titanium before. What does it do? no one knows for sure.... probably doesn't do anything

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thank you for thinking I am so naive.
    Did I miss something in Byro's question that should have made me automatically think of Aluminium/Wooden racquets?

9. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

no.... you didnt...... i wasn't even thinking about wooden rackets.... i was actually comparing rackets that are similar eg Ti-10 and Iso SP 500 or something like that

10. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    RE: Wrist training

Do you think the "wrist ball" is good for improving the wrist power ? I found that it use up more power from my forearm, i.e. my forearm feel more tired than my wrist after playing it for a while.

11. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

wrist ball?

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Yes, we've discussed this before. The wrist really hasn't got much to do with power. It's actually the forearm that does the job. You can't really rotate the wrist, can you? It's the forearm that pronates and supinates and the wrist just comes along for the ride ;-) The cocking of the wrist basically just directs the shot.

If you feel tired in your forearm after playing that's usually a good sign. It means your forearm pronation/supination is working.

The wrist ball is excellent training for both the hand, the wrist and the forearm. It will also improve your grip in hard smashes etc, which makes for more efficient power transfer.

13. Don

Don Regular Member

What is a wrist ball? I'm use to curling a 120 lbs bar bell divided over my forearms. Is that better than a wrist ball?

14. OJ

OJ Guest

Well Byro-Nenium, I think ther could be a psychological effect. How much does a good racket really differs from another good racket. I´d say very little. If I for example play with a Yonex Ti 10 and I´m not satisfied with my game and desides to change model to, lets say the ISO 900. That change will probably disturb your game more than it helps. To constantly think about your racket, how it feels what shoots I do better with a specific model etc, makes you focus on the wrong things while playing. In that sense; yes, your mind plays tricks with you.

When it comes to racket designs I´d say it probably is the least important part of your equipment. When you have reached a certain price level the quality are about the same, and when it comes to new exotic materials it´s mostly a sales thing (yonex will probably set a price on my head now). You will always adapt to your racket material. It´s probably more important to have good shoes than a good racket.

I have been using the same rackets for three years now and I can do all the shoots I need to win. But I had to train to get there. Some shoots were easy from the beginning with my current model, others I had to practice hard. It´s all about adaption to a new feel. And I won´t improve my game by changin racket, quite the oposite. But I will soon just for the fun of it.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    OJ

don't worry OJ, yonex would shoot me first before thinking about shooting you :)