AT900P 3U, RSL X1, RSL X2 Pro & RSL X2 AP

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Tedski, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    I have try to search for a detail comparison between the tittled racquets, but have no success, help.

I am currently playing with a AT900P 3UG5 with BG80 @ 25lb, I would classifly myself as immediate player and I play once a week.

Now comes the long story, I used to play a lot more (train 6 days a week) when I was in my teens and I had drop play about 20 years ago and just recently pick it back up again. My previous racquets were Cab8s before I went thought a search with most of the current Yonex models (NS9000S, NS9000X, AT900T, MP99) then settles with the AT900P. I do know I like head heavy racquet, since I smash quite a bit and my previous training was focus on playing single although majority of my current play is double.

I am quite happy with the AT900P at the moment but now, I would like to extend the search beyond the Yonex brand and I have read some good review regrading the RSL racquets. I am hoping if someone with personal experience of the above tittled racquets give me a more detail comparison using the AT900P as the reference.

Even better if someone to guide me to RSL racquet demo, I lives in Vancouver BC, there is not a lot of shop have RSL demos.

All comments appreciated.

Help................ paging Pete_LSD :crying:

Ted

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Dear Ted,
    You are right and pick the right person to ask for help. However, you need to ask a cute girl to dress up like Princess Lea and send him a DVD on repeat mode say "Help me Peter the Great Horn, You are my only hope." Then the Peter the Great will spring to VRC with his RSL X2 and show you the way to the art of Jedi...
    Sorry, I have to poke fun of our Dear Peter the Great.
    Please respond when you are not too busy FF DVDs.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You could try SOTX Woven 11 or Woven 7

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Beep Beep . . . PLSD calling both Master SH & Ted.

-------------------------

Master SH,

Been busy compiling the beans together into two columns of entries and finally produced the required bean statements. Now, waiting for the goodies to arrive :D.

-------------------------

Master Ted,

You can try out my collections . . . whenever it is convenient for you :).

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I'd break my arm testing out pete's racquets...cause they're strung at 33x36lbs :eek::eek:

6. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    I did have a chance to experience the power from the beast about 2 weeks ago when the master sign me in VRC as guess, but I was mostly at the receiving end of those canon, not exactly I would call enjoyable :eek: but certainly very impressive. I know one also needs the skill and strength to perform in such a level, but I think I am allow to "dream" as well.

Master Pete, I will take you up on the offer, in contact soon.

Ted

7. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

You mentioned the RSL X2 AP. I use that racket and it's even balanced, 3U. It's a great alround racket, good for doubles and okay for singles if you're a bit more defensive. The RSL X2 Pro is probably the best attacking racket in the RSL lineup, not as hard hitting as the X2 Pro Gold but slightly better handling. For alround play though the AP version is awesome.

Tim H

8. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

Agree, find the ap similiar to the ti-10 3u therefore a good doubles racket with lots of pop that if need be can play singles with here and there with.

9. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Thanks to the great Pete_LSD, lending me his personal weapons (RSL X2 Gold) for a lengthy period of time so I could have a very detail demo/comparison of the X2 Gold to my go to racquet, AT900P. On request from Peter for a review, I am writing this hoping will give players interested in the X2 Gold an idea how it compares to AT900P.

** Pete: please correct me if the racquet & string spec is off.

Racquet tested:
    • RSL X2 Gold, 2UG5 c/w 1 layer of over grap, BG80 @ 27x28 (older string)
    • RSL X2 Gold, 2UG5 c/w 1 layer of over grap, BG80 @ 31x33 (older string)
    • YY AT900P, 3UG5 c/w 1 layer of over grap replaced the original grip, BG80 @ 25x27 (freshly strung)
    • YY AT900P, 3UG5 c/w 1 layer of over grap replaced the original grip, BG80 @ 25x27 (older sting)
    Testing sections: 3 sections with about 2 hours each sections, I played all four racquets in each section to make sure the playing conditions is comparable.

I started with racquet #1, initial feels: it doesn’t feel that much heaver than #3 or #4, in fact the AT900P feel more head heavy than the X2 Gold, the string also doesn’t feel as tight as #3 or #4 may be because of the extra layer of grap for shock absorption. Clear shot is very good with loads of power in reserve, the racquet requires the player continuously apply force and accelerating through the impact zone where the AT900P tends to turn over by itself. Smash is as expected, powerful with a very distinctive explosive sound at impact (my playing partners and opponents are all commenting how nice it sound) and is very comparable to #3 & #4. Drives are accurate but to me, it lacks that “pop”, the X-stiff shaft may be just too much for my aged arm. Defense (digs) is surprisingly good compare to #3 & #4. However, net shot does lacks feel. Transition is ……….. let’s say …………..it is not FAST, a tar slower the #3 & #4.

Racquet #2 feels much the same as #1 with tighter and crisper feels from higher string tension. For some reason, the string tension “feels” very comparable with racquet #3. I personal enjoy this higher tension more on the X2 Gold, the racquet is much more lively on net shots, and drops are more accurate but still lacks the “pop” on drives (I concluded it must be the X-stiff shaft).

In short, the X2 Gold reminds me the MP99 but in a 2U version with “Steroids”. Overall, both X2 Gold and AT900P achieved the same goal to be a very powerful racquet by taking a different approach. The X2 Gold is a moderate balance racquet with a heaver physical weight of 2U, yet the AT900P is by head heaviness. Both racquets are designed for players with all out attack. As many people mentioned before (including sir Dink-a-lot & Pete_LSD), the X2 Gold is most likely the most demanding racquet on the market right now. I would not recommend this racquet unless the player has very good technique and strong physical strength, a longer & smoother swing type may be better capitalizing the strength of the racquet.

Again, the above review is my personal feeling towards the racquets, and please be reminded is based on specific comparison from X2 Gold to AT900P. So, when I refer to “accurate, powerful, fast, etc”, it is one racquet vs the other, not referencing to the world of racquets.

Ted

10. soccer613

soccer613 Regular Member

EE
    X2 Gold

I bought the X2 Gold racket from OC2007, strung at 28lbs.
    It is the most demanded racket I have ever dealt with, but it is so wonderful after about 5-10 minutes of adjustment. A lot of power and controlling is adequate. I truly recommend it to anyone loves to smash and fast playing.

Just my 2 cents,