Karakal Sl-70 is lighter better?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mr M Cross, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Mr M Cross

Mr M Cross Regular Member

Student
    I 'am thinking about buying a karakal sl-70 because of the wheight of it 70g. It seems a good deal at £60 from sportsdirect.com but there are other cheaper options at Racketworld on ebay like the browning ti75's.
    Well what do you think?

2. 2ol2play

2ol2play Regular Member

retired
    Lighter moves quicker for sure but the SL 70 with the oval head is harder to use due to the smaller "sweet spot"....The M-Tec 70 ISO Head is 70 grams also and is better unless your technique is really good...The best prices on Karakal products are from Gia Dinh Sports...I think about 70 usd for SL70.... and 85usd for the M-Tec 70....I recently bought the Tattoo and it plays fantastic for doubles attacking style play and control is second to none.....Weight is 80 grams...
    If you want info on Karakal product or prices contact Sunny at info@giadinhsports.com

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Lighter = more maneuverability
    Heavier = more power.

People prefer 3U(85~90g) Armortecs over 4U (80~84g) armortecs because they are more powerful. That's only around 5grams of difference in weight, but people still prefer the heavier one.
    The Karakal SL70 is claimed to be 70grams by Karakal, so if that's true, then it must be very maneuverable but would severely lack power. There would be durability issues too. Have a search, there's rumours that the SL70/M-tec70 are not really 70grams and that they're weighed without the grips and the grommets.

There are several good reviews on the SL70 however, so that suggests that it's not that bad of a racquet, it may even be excellent to play with.

4. Mr M Cross

Mr M Cross Regular Member

Student
    There are others

At centralsports.com there is a 75g Ashaway Ti130. It is the best and most selling racquet of there website, this shows people do like to have a lightweight racquet but is there a limit on weight for a descant amount of power. Personally I think not, I think the lighter the better because of a faster swing. The product review of the Karakal sl70 on this website is 5 star what more can I say?:cool:

5. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

Just got an Mtec-70 from Gia Dinh Sports. I weighed "as is" when I got it with grommets and Super PU grips as it comes. 81.9 grams. 675mm. It "feels" light and balanced. I have not weighed it since stringing and adding an overgrip, but it's really not "too light" to play with. The 70 gram frame weight thing is over hyped. I'm really enjoying this racket.

For reference I have a 2UG4 Aerotus 70 that weighs in at 92 grams with 3 overgrips and strung. 670mm. To me this is a "light" and balanced racket.
    Also, Aerotus 110 (blue/silver) 2UG4 that weighed in at over 100 grams (I can't remember the exact number anymore, 104?). This is my head heavy club I use when I feel I have too much energy.