User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
    lol my bad then, didn't know you guys were talking about the pace and flow of the game. But the name is quite misleading, I think of old folks at a park doing really slowed down karate when i hear tai chi

LOL
    I did imagine an old folks at the park with badminton rackuet..
    If I see them at the park.. I think we should salute them

VIVA BADMINTON! BABY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCloud View Post
    From your first post this technique sounds simply disguising your shots so they all look the same. This concept is nothing revolutionary and has been known for awhile.

Flow of the game is merely the pace. Controlling the pace is always better than allowing your opponent to control you. This is also nothing new.

I think all you have done is label some concepts of badminton with the cool name of Tai Chi. In essence you are stealing the name Tai Chi.
    When you say disguising, how many people can disguise his shot effectively? If you said about controlling pace, how long can you control the pace? In "Tai Chi" it is not about disguising or controlling pace, it is about destroying the pace. For example, you spin the water in a tube until the flow is steady, the what happen if you stop your hand from spinning or change the spin direction? the pace is destroy. But if you keep on doing the same movement there will be a new flow. In "Tai chi" syle the concept is "buliding flow and destroy, or identify flow and destroy".

Same in badminton, when a player train the same pace everyday for 3 years or so, the player will create a same flow in his every game, to beat this guy you need to identify his flow and destroy it, most of the time people will force the opponent to play with his own pace, this is where people mislead the "pace" they thought when forcing the opponent to play with his pace he can beat the opponent easyly, when two people trying to control pace, a new "flow" is created, when this happen, skill and technique will be no longer valid as a winning factor, the winning factor will be stamina ,endurance and luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flow and Destroying Flow

In 2007 I play againts Tommy Sugiarto ( son of the legendary Icuk Sugiarto),I thought in my mind if i play speed and power I will be able to control and beat this guy, since this is my 1st international game, I was naive I thought international standard of playing will the same as back home.

So when the game was started, I play according to the plan, speed and power, wow the game was impressive, but only until 11-10 of the 1st set. I couldn't breath and my stamina was dried out, well to cut the story short in the end of the game the score was 21-12,21-6, It was a very embarrasing moment so I took the lesson and move on.

The same year (november), I when to China to compete in world chinese tournament (25-30) years old category, this time I got the 2nd place.

The lesson I gain from the match againts Tommy Sugiarto was,
    1)never ever create a flow in any match or you will collapse by your own flow.
    2) Even if you do not have endurance, it doesn't mean you can't beat your opponent.

In China, all my opponent play with flow accept the one I was beaten in final, this guy doesn't have flow in his game!!His shot was simple and basic, but the pace and flow were non!!! At that moment, for the first time in my life I play a match where endurance and stamina was not a factor in determined win or lose, it is about skill, killer shot, smash, strategy and control.

After that meaningful moment I finally understand how to play high level badminton. It is about finding flow and destroy it. If the opponent doesnt't have flow, create flow and destroy it!!
    Last edited by footimy; 08-12-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling error

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so you're little stick-horses are focus, clamness and flow...

why do you keep saying 'tai chi badminton'? why are you so hellbent on coining your own term?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post
    so you're little stick-horses are focus, clamness and flow...

why do you keep saying 'tai chi badminton'? why are you so hellbent on coining your own term?
    It is because "Tai Chi" is the best term to describe this kind of play. Go and research the meaning of Tai Chi in combat (not in the exercise Tai Chi term) you will understand why I use "Tai Chi Badminton" instead of "Karate badminton" LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe you should
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi

I know with 'tai chi' you refer to the whole "inner life force" and "inner peace", the spiritual side of the martial arts sport.

But really, these are well-known principles, nothing new. And by recoining it tai-chi and talking about your revolutionary idea (which you by the way admit is already done by all pro's) just sounds silly.
    You obviously have a lot of experience (even at international level) and you can probably contribute a lot, but sticking to the well-known terms for these things helps us readers a lot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Tai chi concept in combat

Martial art: The ability to use tai chi as a form of self-defense in combat is said to be the most effective proof of a student's understanding of the art's principles. The study of tai chi chuan martially is the study of appropriate change in response to outside forces; the study of yielding and blending with outside force rather than attempting to meet it with opposing force.

WIKIPEDIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey phandrew u mention " he is probably some spammer ". how do u know when u are in australia and he is malaysia.
    To me, he is just sharing his knowledge and let other benefit for it.

hey footimy, care to video and share with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll make a video about it so that everyone will have clear idea how actually it done. The will post the video in metacafe. In the mean time, try to understand the concept that I try to convey. CHEER!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footimy View Post
    Martial art: The ability to use tai chi as a form of self-defense in combat is said to be the most effective proof of a student's understanding of the art's principles. The study of tai chi chuan martially is the study of appropriate change in response to outside forces; the study of yielding and blending with outside force rather than attempting to meet it with opposing force.

WIKIPEDIA
    yes, exactly....
    In what way do you relate this to your subject?
    blending in with the shuttle/smash?

Martial-arts parables? I liked the car-analogue's of old better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blending with the game pace/speed/flow/rhythm, and use the appropriate skill to break the pace/speed/flow/rhythm (not as simple as this). And u must have master all the skill so that you can chance your timing, playing style, pace/speed/flow/rhythm freely in order to play "tai chi badminton". Can you change your playing pace in the bling of a second, from speed pace to slow and slow to fast, in one single point? If yes, you are a great player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blending with the game pace/speed/flow/rhythm, and use the appropriate skill to break the pace/speed/flow/rhythm (not as simple as this). And u must have master all the skill so that you can chance your timing, playing style, pace/speed/flow/rhythm freely in order to play "tai chi badminton". Can you change your playing pace in the bling of a second, from speed pace to slow and slow to fast, in one single point? If yes, you are a great player.
    Any good player knows that good footwork will get you to the shuttle quickly and depending on how good your footwork is give you your shot of choice. At the higher levels of badminton there is no flow in play, there is simply getting to the bird at the right time. Also you can blend into the game all you want but the most simple and best way to play badminton is to hit the bird in rather then out and always return it. If you can properly do this how will you ever loose a point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i usually go for exceptionally tight net drops and net shots but sometimes in btw a game i would start net killing and smashing anything that smells like it. would u call this "breaking the flow" coz that obviously puts off your opponent who will never again correctly anticipate your gameplay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you say disguising, how many people can disguise his shot effectively? If you said about controlling pace, how long can you control the pace? In "Tai Chi" it is not about disguising or controlling pace, it is about destroying the pace. For example, you spin the water in a tube until the flow is steady, the what happen if you stop your hand from spinning or change the spin direction? the pace is destroy. But if you keep on doing the same movement there will be a new flow. In "Tai chi" syle the concept is "buliding flow and destroy, or identify flow and destroy".

Same in badminton, when a player train the same pace everyday for 3 years or so, the player will create a same flow in his every game, to beat this guy you need to identify his flow and destroy it, most of the time people will force the opponent to play with his own pace, this is where people mislead the "pace" they thought when forcing the opponent to play with his pace he can beat the opponent easyly, when two people trying to control pace, a new "flow" is created, when this happen, skill and technique will be no longer valid as a winning factor, the winning factor will be stamina ,endurance and luck.
    How many people can use Tai Chi badminton effectively? How long can you destroy the pace?

Destroying the rhythm and changing the rhythm is interchangeable...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 2007 I play againts Tommy Sugiarto ( son of the legendary Icuk Sugiarto),I thought in my mind if i play speed and power I will be able to control and beat this guy, since this is my 1st international game, I was naive I thought international standard of playing will the same as back home.

So when the game was started, I play according to the plan, speed and power, wow the game was impressive, but only until 11-10 of the 1st set. I couldn't breath and my stamina was dried out, well to cut the story short in the end of the game the score was 21-12,21-6, It was a very embarrasing moment so I took the lesson and move on.

The same year (november), I when to China to compete in world chinese tournament (25-30) years old category, this time I got the 2nd place.

The lesson I gain from the match againts Tommy Sugiarto was,
    1)never ever create a flow in any match or you will collapse by your own flow.
    2) Even if you do not have endurance, it doesn't mean you can't beat your opponent.

In China, all my opponent play with flow accept the one I was beaten in final, this guy doesn't have flow in his game!!His shot was simple and basic, but the pace and flow were non!!! At that moment, for the first time in my life I play a match where endurance and stamina was not a factor in determined win or lose, it is about skill, killer shot, smash, strategy and control.

After that meaningful moment I finally understand how to play high level badminton. It is about finding flow and destroy it. If the opponent doesnt't have flow, create flow and destroy it!!
    Don't you just mean that in order not to be controlled by our opponents, we must vary our shots so that the opponent won't read our patterns ?
    This is basicly another form of deception. The opponent won't be able to guess where we will hit ?

I beat my friend three consequtive sets in a row: 21-9, 21-11, 21-8. Two days later when I played against him, the scores got reversed. He basicly knew where I was going to hit, and he could also point out the weaknesses in my pattern. So.. we must vary our shot selection and not play the same shots in the same pattern all the time.

It could've also been a bad-day for me though, I lost my technique-
    [ happens when I think too much about my shot selection and stroke, etc, after filming myself play. Something was wrong with my stroke, i also lost to fellow club-members whom i can usually beat].
    I later got my form back and I know what to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I suggest "boxing badminton" for guys and "bikini badminton" for the sexy ladies please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bananakid View Post
    May I suggest "boxing badminton" for guys and "bikini badminton" for the sexy ladies please?
    Wu Tai Badminton. My strategy is about choppy plays, throwing the Tai Chi Badminton out of his destroying pace. Because my Wu Tai Badminton style has a choppy play. Chop chop chop! Wu Tai WALALALALA.
    Last edited by KazeCloud; 08-12-2008 at 11:58 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast