User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We may disagree with each other. This is much, much better than agreeing with each other on everything-a dead end. There should be enough room for unusual ideas like Footimy's.
    Yes; and there should be enough room for people to criticise those ideas too. Freedom of speech cuts both ways.

I have to agree with jerby here. Footimy seems hellbent on presenting familiar and simple ideas under the grandiloquent guise of martial arts spiritualism.

More annoyingly, he's adopted the patronising "It's okay if you can't understand my advanced concept" approach. I get it. Really, I do. I just don't find it enlightening, because I already understand the relevant badminton concepts and see little value in adding a layer of mysticism on top of them.

Nevertheless, I do feel that comparisons with other disciplines can be interesting. Tai Chi could be a fruitful metaphor for badminton. Unfortunately, that's a discussion that footimy seems unwilling to enter: he doesn't want to make connections with existing ideas; he wants his theory to be the One True Way.

And that's what irritates me -- the sheer audacity of his claims. He's not just saying, "it's interesting to compare badminton with Tai Chi"; he's saying, "I have discovered this amazing new way of playing badminton. An entirely new concept."

Well, excuse me for being cynical; but there's nothing new under the sun. Your "new concept" is simply a fancy-pants interpretation of ordinary badminton ideas.
    Last edited by Gollum; 08-19-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New form of badminton

Chris Badminton - By praying, Chris will benedict you with divine power and will pwn anyone.....

=. =

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah. its "my playing style is better than yours,so COPY ME". you still haven't shared any footage of this amazing new style of yours with us and shown how exact;y is it different from normal deception used in all sports.
    P.S Lin Dan bamboozled LCW, thats what he did. he had no idea where Dan was going with the game. Anyway it was hometurf and the Chinese nation couldnt have ALLOWED him to lose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tekken View Post
    This thread does not belong to technique discussion, thus it belongs to the joke section.

Try playing badminton using Tai Chi speed and pace against anyone, and even a ten year old kid with some training will kick your butt.

Dude, you are a disgrace to Malaysian. Don't you dare use our hero LCW as an example of your dumb theory any more.
    Oh gosh, LCW didn't win gold, is he a disgrace ?
    I've heard so many Malaysian people say that another Malaysian person is a disgrace to Malaysians...

So anyway, what's the conclusion? Don't let our opponents read our pattern ? We must vary our shots to gain the advantage ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Versatile Footwork - the tai chi style

There are two kind of footwork

1. Floating footwork

Most people are using this kind of footwork, they jumping and springing on the court when defense and offense. This footwork is good only if your are in offensive mode but the problem with this footwork is it takes a lot amount of energy and athletic ability to execute. Typically players with this kind of footwork are lack of defensive ability, and they mostly will likely lost stability in game.

2. Stick to the ground footwork

People with defensive mode usually use this footwork in play, usually player is "walking" and stick they foot as low to the ground as possible to maintain the stability and control, and typically, players with this kind of footwork are lack of offensive force.

Player who are better at one type of footwork will most likely not doing good in other type.

So, to versatile our footwork mix this two footwork in the game in order we can play offensive and defensive in the same time, we need to combine this two footwork together, this concept is easy to understand but believe me it take a lot of training and muscle control.

Mixing this 2 footwork will able us to make an explosive offense and in the same time maintain stability and control. The scenario is like this: 2,2,2,2,1,2,2,1. Defend,rally,defend,rally,explosive attack, defend,defend, and explosive attack!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footimy View Post

1. Floating footwork

Most people are using this kind of footwork, they jumping and springing on the court when defense and offense. This footwork is good only if your are in offensive mode but the problem with this footwork is it takes a lot amount of energy and athletic ability to execute. Typically players with this kind of footwork are lack of defensive ability, and they mostly will likely lost stability in game.

People with defensive mode usually use this footwork in play, usually player is "walking" and stick they foot as low to the ground as possible to maintain the stability and control, and typically, players with this kind of footwork are lack of offensive force.

Player who are better at one type of footwork will most likely not doing good in other type.

So, to versatile our footwork mix this two footwork in the game in order we can play offensive and defensive in the same time, we need to combine this two footwork together, this concept is easy to understand but believe me it take a lot of training and muscle control.

Mixing this 2 footwork will able us to make an explosive offense and in the same time maintain stability and control. The scenario is like this: 2,2,2,2,1,2,2,1. Defend,rally,defend,rally,explosive attack, defend,defend, and explosive attack!
    This makes sense and is in fact what most of us do. The switch from one footwork mode into another cannot, however, be fixed, but is game-dependent and the actual situation during play.
    BTW, have you seen Han Jian's footwork?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YinLoung View Post
    New form of badminton

Chris Badminton - By praying, Chris will benedict you with divine power and will pwn anyone.....

=. =
    Footimy's choice of words may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is not really comparable to what you are implying.
    After all, he is the current mens singles runner-up in the 2007 Chinese World Badminton Championships that included some ex-national and ex-Thomas Cup players of Chinese descent from all over the world. He has also played against Tommy Sugiarto, a rising Indonesian star.
    Let us hear him out and then either agree, disagree, and even dispute what he has to say. I am still listening!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh how nice, the explanations of the how-to's are finally here. They do make sense to me as well. So, would Chen Hong be an example of a player using the Floating footwork?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah floating footwork and quick witted STRATEGY is the real name of the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saifii View Post
    yeah floating footwork and quick witted STRATEGY is the real name of the game
    That's "Motor Skillsl".

Infomation:
    "Motor skills" is when the player learn movement patterns that can be produced automatically without having to ‘think about them’ (automatic processing).

A learnt movement pattern is a motor skill. To acquire a new skill or modify (improve) a pre-existing skill the brain has to go through two stages:

1. players have to process new information consciously. (controlled processing)

2. after a time these new skills then imprint new or modified actions into the automatic regions of the brain
    The actions will then become automatic and do not require conscious thought to execute and can be regarded as an automatically processed skill.

The brain has a limited capacity to perform controlled processing which in turn limits the first stage of skill acquisition. The controlled processing load on a player can be described as the number of variables and decisions that they have to take into account.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footimy View Post

1. Floating footwork

How do you mix the 'Floating footwork' and 'Stick to the ground footwork'? In other words, can you 'float' and 'stick to the ground' when moving around the court with your style of footwork?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Simple! Wear a pair of magnetic boots. The court is magnetized in the opposite field of the boots. There, floating and sticking footwork .

Ohhhh, the direction and movement of the player is controlled remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by viver View Post
    How do you mix the 'Floating footwork' and 'Stick to the ground footwork'? In other words, can you 'float' and 'stick to the ground' when moving around the court with your style of footwork?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    Simple! Wear a pair of magnetic boots. The court is magnetized in the opposite field of the boots. There, floating and sticking footwork .

Ohhhh, the direction and movement of the player is controlled remotely.
    Pls do not derail an interesting discussion. We can ask more questions or discuss so that we can either learn more or learn nothing new. Even if you disagree with what is discussed here, let us be a bit more constructive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick move to kill off a net shot with a dab requires a 'floating footwork'. If you use a 'stick to the ground' footwork you will miss the opportunity to put this shot away, and will instead have to make do with a net stab or tumble or even forced to lift.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    A quick move to kill off a net shot with a dab requires a 'floating footwork'. If you use a 'stick to the ground' footwork you will miss the opportunity to put this shot away, and will instead have to make do with a net stab or tumble or even forced to lift.
    Hmm, since that you are also an expert in Tai Chi badminton, can you describe in detail how to do each of the styles described - how the preparation is done, how you switch the 'modes' between the two, how do know when to use or another, etc...

As an example like you explained, a 'dab' (?) using 'floating footwork' - suppose the opponent by chance returns the shuttle to the baseline, say backhand side, what footwork ('floating' vs 'stick to the ground') should be used and how?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, since that you are also an expert in Tai Chi badminton, can you describe in detail how to do each of the styles described - how the preparation is done, how you switch the 'modes' between the two, how do know when to use or another, etc...

As an example like you explained, a 'dab' (?) using 'floating footwork' - suppose the opponent by chance returns the shuttle to the baseline, say backhand side, what footwork ('floating' vs 'stick to the ground') should be used and how?
    No, I am not into Tai Chi badminton at all. I am just intrigued by Footimy's description about Tai Chi badminton.
    Re your 2nd para, if the opponent returns your dab net shot towards your baseline, then your execution of the 'floating footwork' was not fast or good enough and probably too late or too slow in execution. Depending on the speed of your opponent's return you are not likely to get to the shuttle. This often happens to players with slow footwork (lack of 'floating footwork') and/or poor use of the wrist for his or her dab at the net. This is Footimy's area. He may have something different to say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    No, I am not into Tai Chi badminton at all. I am just intrigued by Footimy's description about Tai Chi badminton.
    Re your 2nd para, if the opponent returns your dab net shot towards your baseline, then your execution of the 'floating footwork' was not fast or good enough and probably too late or too slow in execution. Depending on the speed of your opponent's return you are not likely to get to the shuttle. This often happens to players with slow footwork (lack of 'floating footwork') and/or poor use of the wrist for his or her dab at the net. This is Footimy's area. He may have something different to say.
    Oops, I assumed you were also an expert on Tai Chi badminton since you are explaining how to use the 'floating' and 'stick to the ground' footwork. But, from your last sentence - it seems to me that you are not familiar with the Tai Chi badminton concept at all??

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast