User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Leicester anyone

    im really looking to get started into badminton. used to be pretty good at school but havnt played in a while. anyone know any clubs in or near leicester i can get started at? also anyone wanna play?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Which side of leicester are you from?

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    im from glenfield on the west side of leicester but i drive and pretty much willing to travel anywhere

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leics, UK
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi,
    Whilst I dont play for any clubs, I do play at Uni of Leicester sports facilities in Oadby.

    Anyway heres a link to Leicestershire Badminton Assoc. if you want to get into playing for a club. http://www.lbabadminton.org/

    Ahmed
    Last edited by ahmed; 08-22-2008 at 04:14 AM.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmed View Post
    Hi,
    Whilst I dont play for any clubs, I do play at Uni of Leicester sports facilities in Oadby.

    Are you a student?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leics, UK
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    Are you a student?
    No, I am an employee of the Uni

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmed View Post
    No, I am an employee of the Uni
    oh....Manor Road is a very good court for badminton

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leics, UK
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    oh....Manor Road is a very good court for badminton
    I was a little concerned that its too hard and hence bad for the joints etc but I must admit I know nothing about playing surfaces.
    I think this might be one of the cheapest courts in Leicester to play on though.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmed View Post
    I was a little concerned that its too hard and hence bad for the joints etc but I must admit I know nothing about playing surfaces.
    I think this might be one of the cheapest courts in Leicester to play on though.
    Obviously you haven't played in most Council owned sports centres. They are generally concrete floors.

    Manor Road is a durable rubber mat, which has some good give, but not too grippy.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada Water
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_wade View Post
    im really looking to get started into badminton. used to be pretty good at school but havnt played in a while. anyone know any clubs in or near leicester i can get started at? also anyone wanna play?
    Hi Chris,

    I used to play in leicester years ago for club called Melton Mowbray OG but they may be a little far out for you. If you are looking for a club within your vicinity try this link:

    http://infolinx.leics.gov.uk/infolin...s=sport&page=2

    or just check the BA of E website: http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/fl...unty.asp?ct=25

    Babington Community College is where the county squad trains, but i'm pretty sure there are some clubs that operate in that centre.

    Good luck!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leics, UK
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    Obviously you haven't played in most Council owned sports centres. They are generally concrete floors.

    Manor Road is a durable rubber mat, which has some good give, but not too grippy.
    No, I havent played at any council sports centres except Aylestone leisure centre and their's was fairly decent back then.

    I played at demontfort uni's sports centre on the weekend and their lighting is abosulutely atrocious and the with the darkened (dirty) floor you could hardly make out the lines on the other side of the court!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada Water
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmed View Post
    No, I havent played at any council sports centres except Aylestone leisure centre and their's was fairly decent back then.

    I played at demontfort uni's sports centre on the weekend and their lighting is abosulutely atrocious and the with the darkened (dirty) floor you could hardly make out the lines on the other side of the court!

    Ahhh, the memories of DMU sports hall. Dun forget the low ceilings as well...what a nigtmare! It used to work to our advantage though when we were the home team as our opponents struggled with the light n faults when the shuttle hit the low beams! haha

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leics, UK
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwong View Post
    Ahhh, the memories of DMU sports hall. Dun forget the low ceilings as well...what a nigtmare! It used to work to our advantage though when we were the home team as our opponents struggled with the light n faults when the shuttle hit the low beams! haha
    haha @ working to your advantage!
    Yes I left out the low ceiling, its really low because it didnt take much power for my high shots to hit the ceiling.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmed View Post
    No, I havent played at any council sports centres except Aylestone leisure centre and their's was fairly decent back then.

    I played at demontfort uni's sports centre on the weekend and their lighting is abosulutely atrocious and the with the darkened (dirty) floor you could hardly make out the lines on the other side of the court!
    When I played at DMU they had a fan on one side of the court, which blew every shot back in!!

Similar Threads

  1. Leicester Clubs
    By AndyUK in forum UK
    Replies: 8
    : 08-28-2013, 03:11 PM
  2. badminton leicester
    By daveone in forum UK
    Replies: 0
    : 03-13-2011, 08:47 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    : 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM
  4. Social in Leicester
    By sanj27 in forum UK
    Replies: 3
    : 01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
  5. Badminton in Leicester
    By giggsy in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 02-15-2002, 10:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •