Why did Wong Choong Hann lose?

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by limsy, Aug 12, 2008.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wch side:
    1)he lift to much...by his experience,he should know as opponent is attacking type(smash as main weapon)...he lift almost all the opponent net play...he could defend 85%of opponent smash...but still...opponent score from the 15%...pretty much i could say...from what i saw...more than 10 i could say...

2)court coverage problem...wch is good in this...but...opponent is just slightly better...

3)no tactic..wch didnt play tacticly...and didnt play with his experience...he is trying to cope with opponent speed and power...not wise at all...

4)not patience enough...he make mistakes that should have easily score by him...
    5)stamina problem...wch is playing like gear 3 in 3rd set...but his opponent is playing at gear 5...wch become slower than set 1 and 2...and smash become less sharp and power in 3rd set...

chinese taipei side:
    1)good agility(of what u all like to say,footwork),good court coverage...
    2)smash pretty good...but lack of speed and power(like lin dan) and also angle(lcw)...i never saw a sideline or crosscourt smash by him...but good enough to score point...
    3)attitude is good...high spirit...those shout is ok to me...show confident...have faith in himself...
    4)try his best to match wch in all things...and good net skill too...

overall
    wch and chinese taipei ms show up a good fight...good match...i can say...better than sdk vs bp or wch vs th match...

wch
    he can play 1 or 2 more years if he want...he can cope well...but cant kill off the game...great fight today...and yet...he smile and greet his opponent after losing...:D...i be proud of him...:D...

chinese taipei
    25 years old...once stop when he was injured when secondary school time as his mum ask him to stop and quite...but he continue...his girl friend is one of the chinese taipei top wd pair...hehe...insider news...^^...

2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Here's mine; Not Good Enough.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    someone is right that u will be the 1st one that reply this...

but,sorry...u didnt qualify to say so...if u watch how the chinese taipei play...^^...:p

4. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

He simply lost to a player slightly better than him.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The Chinese Taipei player is more aggresive today. WCH did made some mistakes in the end. Furthermore the Chinese Taipei player hang on very well. He was pushing WCH to the limit and also return all the shots that WCH gave.

6. DoublesPlayer

DoublesPlayer Regular Member

Engineer
    taipei guy read wch's shots pretty well, and taipei guy has better stamina

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i didnt see that game but was surprised to hear wch lost, i thot he would go out in the next round. That taipei player seem to struggled a bit with the iranian player on the first day but maybe he was just getting his kinks out from his first appearance in the olympic

8. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Thats why you play bad today does not mean you will play bad tomorrow....
    Shieh is a good player..basically he is like NTM....just return all shuttles and great stamina.......you should watch the game....very entertaining....

9. DoublesPlayer

DoublesPlayer Regular Member

Engineer
    WCH made unforced errors too ... WCH was probably too happy or over confidenced or under estimated Shieh after beating TH. i could see that he didn't focus 100% on today's game, plus as limsy said, he didn't play a good strategy/tactic. WCH should've won if he played a determined game like yesterday, too bad and too late.

10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Give credits for both of them...they both played well and fought all the way...

11. halvepizza93

halvepizza93 Regular Member

begging
    beautiful game

I just fell in love with hsieh's badminton

just keep getting those shots and smash when you can and never be afraid of sh*t

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    First of all you got to give a lot of credit to TPE player. He beat a very good player in NTM yesterday in three sets, and beat a quality experienced player today.

WCH.....First of all like many of the players who had tough draws he knew he had Taufik in 1st Round so will have spent a lot of time focussing on beating him (which he did - convincingly) Because of this he will have been mentally jaded and not so prepared for this match.

Secondly stamina did play a part, for all his skill and strokeplay he didn't have enough energy to control the points.

Thirdly and I think most importantly he didn't attack. I watched the entire game and thought I was watching a different player than yesterday. In the third end he didn't attack at all (no exaggeration) he just blocked the smashes, lifted off the net and cleared from the rear court, even when the oppurtunity was clearly there. Because of this lack of attacking play (not neccessarily smashing, but fast drops and drives, the TPE player just absorbed the strokes Wong gave and then picked up the pace to win the rallies.

Fair play to TPE though, some of the rallies both yesterday and today were truly gruelling and towards the end (I think they were 16-16) he just found some inspiration and hit some smashes down that really finished off wong in the head.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You know, a win is a win. And WCH lost to a better shuttler yesterday. Learn how to accept defeat gracefully. :p

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    not to knock wch but for technical criticing, wch is a hard working type player but not technically adapting, a bit like foo kok kong style i would say. In the past, he always come close but not winning titles.(Ex, 2003 WC, it was a grueling battle with XZX). Yes, wch was mentally prepared for TH but this OG is his last big chance for glory, he should be prepared for all his matches.

15. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    WCH lost because instead of a Malaysia boleh rocket, he received a USA made rocket from Vching instead, and that blew him out of the court and sent him packing home.:p

WCH is still my favorite Malaysia player though.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    WCH is a winner to me.

because he tried.

i am not yoda. i believe that if a player tried hard and lost, they will get my respect. and Wong did. he tried till the last minute facing a younger and red hot on fire opponent. he never gave up. that cannot be said of many players.

17. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Well done WCH....even lost........I solute you as a fighter.......

18. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

stamina, age..he was tired perhaps

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Not good enough are mean words. So I have to live with "Well done. You have made it".

Indeed, you have despite the loss. It is a new chapter in your life - go for it.

Cheers.

20. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

One word "not consistent"..