Peter Gade vs. Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Gade supporter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Gade supporter

Gade supporter Regular Member

Well guys, as you may have guessed, I picture this match as the most exciting of the upcoming matches.

On paper this looks to be a manageable match for Lin Dan.

However, I heard an interview with Gade saying that he believed in his chance, and more importantly that he was one of the only ones, who had ever beaten Lin Dan on his national ground.
    This sounds promising. Also big pressure on Lin from the home crowd, he "choked" in Athens. This time, he is though far more experienced.
    Iam excited, and I believe in Peter.

Your point of views?

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    As much as I'd love to see Gade pull through, I don't see Lin Dan letting this one slip away. Gade needs to up his game a lot compared to his previous matches. Sure, Shoji Sato may have improved, but he's no Lin Dan.

3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

LD is in great form.....and PG just average....win over sata in rubber tell it all......so No doubt....is going to be LD to win.....

4. Seasider

Seasider Regular Member

IT
    I really hope Peter Gade will win a medal, any medal. He's one of the most exciting players to watch, a combination of skills and talent. It wil be nice for him to have an Olympic medal as his farewell to badminton world.

5. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Well only god will know the out come already, but for the rest of us. Lets gear up for an exciting match and may the best man win.

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    HuhWHA!??? Mag's back :D:D:D:D:D

WELCOME BACK MAG

As for PG vs, LD, PG's too old, too many injuries, and LD now, when under pressure, get's even more amazing, not crashing. I can't see PG winning, but we never saw YW/ZJW losing to the japanese pair too, or Tine getting the boot by Maria.

My money's on LD

7. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Farewell with a medal? Well We've seen what happened to WCH, CTF/LWW, TH, KJ, TR, JE/MLH ......

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

LD under pressure? After the way he destroyed PSH, I'd like to see how he plays when he's relaxed. LD is motivated . PG, who struggled against a pacey player like Sato will find an equally quick, but vastly superior LD too much to handle.

Sorry PG fans, it's time for the Great Dane to do some sight-seeing (provided he can see through the smog :D)

9. ignatio103

ignatio103 Regular Member

it
    peter gade hoeeg

is he the danish guy name of p.gade christiansen?:confused:

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, same person.

11. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

PETER GADE!!!
    European Pride COME ON!

12. Morten

Morten Regular Member

The chances of Peter getting trough to the semifinals is as slim as the chances of Paul McCarthney releasing a rap album ;)

Today Peter struggled a lot to defeat Sato. All kudos to Sato who has improved a lot during the last year, but from what I can see he is no near the level of the top 5 in the world yet. Sato might be as fast as Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei, but he doesnt have the technical and tactical skills that the truly best posseses.

From my point of view you can see Peter lacks a bit of speed, stamina and the final touch on his strokes. All that is a combination of lots of injuries recently and age catching up with the gentle dane. You have to remember Peter has only gotten like 5-6 weeks of preparation to this event whereas most of the other shuttlers have stayed out of injury and has prepared very well. Morten Frost said today during the match between Sato and Gade that Gade had lost some power in his attacks and generally lost speed compared to when he was young (pre knee injury period). Furthermore Frost mentioned and didnt understand that Peter almost never uses a clear to the baseline as an attacking stroke.

I agree with Frost and has for many years since Peter came back wondered why he didnt use a clear more often. With a change in playing style from a powerful super fast smashing machine to a more deceptive and decently fast attacker, it would in my opinion be obvious to use the clear as a deceptive shot. By mostly only using drops, cuts and smashes you will have to make a lot of winners, specially on your smashes since the opponent else can/will move forward on the court since he/she knows that there mostly wont be played a shot to the baseline. Peter has after his comeback in 2002 mostly had problems with people being strong defensively (CJ, LD and LCW). Due to his smashes not being as big a winner as before he finds it hard to win these guys since he in my opinion is playing the shuttle stereotypically in most situations. I think we will see Lin Dan be standing up front on court reaching a lot of Gade's shots very early and by that eliminatin Peters game.

A Peter on 100% would maybe stand a chance of 15-20% on beating LD, but as I see it with his current condition the chances are 0-5% :(. This may sound a bit negative, but im only trying to be realistic here. I have big respect for Peter and think he has been one of the best shuttlers in MS for the last 15 years and maybe been THE ONE who changed mens single to what it is today by making strokes like drives in single very general.

#12 Morten, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  13. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Hopefully Lin Dan pulls through, facing someone of Gades caliber is never easy

14. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

I think there is no game for Peter... LD will win..

15. lawcc

lawcc Regular Member

student
    lin dan is well in good condition.....gade always said s.thing like that evry time b4 he v.s lin dan..even i m a malaysian who fully surport lcw.....but lin dan powerful per4mance in past 2 matches is proove that he is well ready for any type of opponent..

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Mr Gade, we are all standing at attention for your last hurrah. Try your best, if you don't win never mind coz LCW will be waiting for LD. In my mind, I have got no doubts that LCW will have to face LD in the Finals.

Good luck to both.

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hi mag, u are back!!:):)
    so long didnt see your posts already.

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i hope that PG will make ld a run for the money in this match.

19. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

Sorry to Peter for he most probably has to made way for the greatest encounter.
    But what the heck, just go all out and treasure the moment.
    You have nothing to lose and something to win.

20. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Gade has to play 101% better than he did in beating Sato, if he hopes for any slim chance against the superDan. From the way LD thrashed ParkSH, I doubt Gade will steal a game. If he does, dats a big bonus for his last OG.

I do not see how this game will go into rubber and I'll take LD to win comfortably in straight games. ;)

Note: I'll run naked if Gade pull off the win...

in my own bedroom :D