Stringing a racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by airsteins, Aug 13, 2008.

1. airsteins

airsteins Regular Member

Hi everyone

I've no doubt that on one of the other 2 million posts, this has been mentioned before, but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about stringing.

I have several rackets, some done with 2 knots, some 4.

The 2 knot ones start with about 4/5 knots on the 8th grommet round from the racket stem. Then goes through the 12th grommet (I think) and up and down to do the mains. On the other side at the 12th grommet again, the crossovers then startworking up to the top of the racket, where it is finished with a standard knot. Although the stringing process starts with several knots, which in effect hold the string to the racket initially, it seems to hold really well, and the tension stays there.

My 4 knot rackets are done in the starndard way.

The 2 knot system seems to be a lot easier to do, and at the same time seems like a far better way to string a racket.
    I'm still not convinced by the way that it starts though, with 4/5 knots which pull tight to the grommet, stopping the string from completely passing through the grommet...

Also, a question I have about 4 knot stringing.
    What is the length of string for the mains, and the lenth for the crossovers. Ideally I want to find a lenght that will give me a fair bit of string spare so that I have a bit of room for any mistakes and plenty of space to tie off at the end.

Any thoughts will help, and certainly any suggestions on a better way for me to re-string a racket.

thanks all.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sorry, I am having trouble understanding what you are asking about 2 knots/1piece method.
    When you say start with 4/5 knots what do you mean?
    If I get a request for 1 piece method, this is what I do. Usually I string the mains from center out then I tie off the main on throat 8 grommet. On the other side where long piece comes out of throat 10 grommet, start stringing cross from throat 9. Then finish just like a 2 pieces/4 knots method.

3. airsteins

airsteins Regular Member

Thanks, I understand what you are saying.
    How do you know how long to have the string. If you start from the middle, you must have to work out how much string you need so that you finish on the left hand side with the mains, then can start with the cross overs.

How can you work out how much string you need so that you finish the mains just with the amount of string??

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I will not ask you to search for it. However, the general rule of thumb is the main is about 5.5m while cross is about 4.5m. So if you wrap the unpacked string on a stationery pole, pull the string on both end. the string will have 5m on each side. Then just extend one side for about 50cm and you get the long side for 5.5m. Mark the string and go from there.

Good luck

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

IF you are using 10-m pack, please follow silentheart.

IF you are cutting string off the 200 m reel, recommend you use about 7 x the length of the racket for main, and 5.8-5.9 x for the cross. this is good only IF you are stringing at tension higher than 24 lbs. you can also adjust that according to the tension you are doing.