Problem with shifting to doubles defense

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by fsnicolas, Aug 13, 2008.

1. fsnicolas

fsnicolas Regular Member

University Management
    I tried searching if this was tackled in previous threads but I didn't find any.

Anyway, the problem is not so much shifting to doubles defense as much as it is with the opponent reading/anticipating the shift. Here's the scenario:
    - in the offensive formation, I play the front and stay a bit behind the service line
    - if my partner clears, I move back to the opposite side of where my partner hit the shuttle to get out of the way of any smash return and to be ready to defend
    - when I move back however, the back player of the opposing team (at least the one who knows how I play) plays a drop shot to the opposite front corner, the side where my partner is supposed to defend
    - my partner might still be recovering from his shot and so is not able to defend against the drop shot in time

The question is, am I supposed to be the one to take the drop shot or should I tell my partner to get into position more quickly? Should I move back more slowly to anticipate the drop shot?

Thanks in advance!

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    if your partner is clearing, then he should have all the time in the world to get back into position. drops should not be a problem really.

if your partner is not getting to that drop, there are a few reasons. one is that his clear is short and the opponent is hitting it around or in front of the back doubles service line. the other is the clear is too flat, so the opponent is cutting it off before it reaches the back.

i'm assuming your partner is clearing because he is in trouble, because that is one of the only times i'd see the need to clear. in which case, the clear should be as high as possible, right to the back. there may be cases where your partner is so rushed in playing the shot he runs off the court or falls over, leaving you alone. in that case, it's your partner's job to tell you that and you need to try your best. but really, unless your partner is not clearing it far enough or high enough, he should have plenty of time to get to base and prepare for whatever shot comes.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I think if clears aren't working for you then do something else like drop shots or smashes. If your partner does clears then make sure you move back but don't move back too far so that you are closer the net than your partner.

4. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    On initial thought, check to see if you/your partner clear a lot. That might be the dead giveaway to your opponents. They know where to place the bird after you clear.

But otherwise, like others mentioned, give yourselves enough time to recover from a defensive shot.