Where to play in downtown Toronto?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Catmullrom, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Catmullrom

Catmullrom New Member

I've spent the past week looking around online for a place to play badminton in Toronto on a weekly basis, and quite frankly haven't been that successful. So I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me out. I've already searched this forum a couple of times, but was hoping someone could make a specific recommendation.

A bit of backstory, I played badminton competitively in high school before moving to Toronto for university where I continued to play for a few years, but just for fun. Once I graduated and got a job though I became pretty lazy and didn't play for quite a few years. But I'm back in shape now, and would love to find a place to play for the Fall/Winter season. I'm definitely not a beginner, but I won't be making the Olympic team either, so like most people I'm just looking for a fun weekly game with people of varying skill levels.

The only catch is that I live downtown and am reliant on the subway and walking to get where I need to go. So badminton clubs out in the suburbs are out of the question. And while I have no problem with yearly fees and such, I'm also not willing to drop $500 on a fancy club. A simple gymnasium facility with a decent net is enough to make me happy.

So if anyone can suggest a club I can get in contact with, or are already a member of a downtown meetup looking for new members, I'd love to hear from you.

cheers,

- catmullom

2. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    somewhere to play in downtown toronto would be the metro central ymca

3. Catmullrom

Catmullrom New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I understand it the YMCA is a pay per evening thing, and I'd actually prefer to just pay a seasonal membership. (Unless I'm completely wrong about that.)

4. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    YMCA membership is monthly I believe.

5. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    Yup ymca is monthly, or you could pay a guess fee everytime you come...which is quite expensive. But the level at ymca metro is pretty good... andddd i play there so hehe

6. Lil_Pony

Lil_Pony Regular Member

Play time at YMCA?

Does anyone know the address for the downtown YMCA? What time do they usually play?

I am playing to visit Toronto this coming Friday to Monday and I will like to look for a place that will have play time for these days.

7. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    just google ymca metro, you'll get it , there is badminton on sat but i forgot the time, sun it's from 12:45 til 5 i believe

8. ibm88

ibm88 Regular Member

you can play at george brown starting the second week of september. they are located at 200 King st. e. near sherbourne

9. maxsports

maxsports Regular Member

yup, George brown, Ryerson all have decent badminton clubs at a fare prices. Also, there are a few community centers and private clubs in downtown area.

10. jazn54

jazn54 Regular Member

11. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Ryerson and George Brown is a feather ONLY club. There are a group of YMCA players that play feather on tuesdays and thursdays in the evening.

12. algonquinsmash

algonquinsmash Regular Member

Rock Haul truck operator
    Is there any place to drop in on Fridaynight's??

13. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    If anyone's got a UofT membership, let me know. Once you have one, you can book a court for free as long as there's one open. I have feather shuttles. :) Or if you want to provide them you can. heheh. Or plastic. Whatever!