T.V. Coverage

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by norchris, May 29, 2002.

1. norchris

norchris Regular Member

government employee
    I was giving a lecture on Badminton and was showing a video of a game of Badminton to these P.E. teachers.
    One of the studients asked me how Badminton does not have T.V. Coverage as other sports.
    I explained that the I.B.F is working on the subject and that some rules are going to be changhed from 1st. August so that badminton could be more Interesting.
    This man then brought to my attention that the Net at the middle of the court could not be seen on the T.V.
    I must admit the this thing never came to my mind because we assume that everybody knows that there is a net between the players but then I reilised that for the maen in the street that knows nothing on Badminton MUST SEE THE NET at the middle of the court so that he could understand what's happening.
    So my sugestion is :- Could we change the colour of the net so that it will be more visible to T.V. viewers ?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hmm, i don't think there is a regulation dictating the color of the net. However, i never seen any net before with color matching the floor or mat so personally IMO viewership is not related to the net color.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Interesting question. I've looked at several taped matches and I can't understand why your questioner is not able to see the net.

For me, I would think a potential problem might be keeping an eye on the shuttle since it is quite easy to lose sight of the shuttle. Just like in ice hockey, the NHL experimented with coverage of the game by inserting an electronic transmitter in the puck and have receivers around the rink to pick up the signal which translates into this blue dot on the TV broadcast for the American viewing public. On shooting the puck, you get a shooting star effect which was kind of cool.

Hmm... looking at the video tapes again, I think your questioner might be talking about the mesh on the net (which is usually black or brownish) which could be 'invisible'. I wonder if it is a brighter colour, it might distract the players from the shuttle.

#3 Winex West Can, May 29, 2002
    Last edited: May 29, 2002
  4. norchris

norchris Regular Member

government employee
    Thank you for the interest you showed on the subject re:- colour of the net.

I think that for the players that play badminton it's not a problem to see the net because we are used to it and we all know that it is there ( and sometimes we wish that it was not there lol. ) but what about the new spectator?
    Maybe the white tape could be of different colour or wider.
    About the other problem re:- the shuttle that winex said I think that it is olso true that if the cameras are not possitioned well there could be some problems to follow the shuttle too.
    Maybe the I.B.F. should start to study from which angle the t.v.cameras has to film the game of badminton for best results.
    Best of luck to you all