Gripping to the Shaft?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Heong, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone grips up higher to the shaft?:confused:
    I see some pro doubles players with grips that cover almost half their racquet. Like former Indonesian doubles player Sigit Budiarto..

What are the advantages & disadvantages of gripping higher than the cone?
    & which you would prefer?

I am not sure if a thread like this has been posted so please post a link so I can be directed.

Thanks for your help :D

Attached Files:

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I used to grip it up the shaft, but now I grip it only half-way up the handle.

If you hit hard while holding the shaft, there's a risk of the shaft breaking. I have witnessed this a few times before.

Obviously if you hold it up the shaft, your shots will have less power but you would have better maneuverability with it, ie: by the net for tight net shots or for kills.

3. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

I use this method to overgrip my racket. But I didn't hold the racket to the shaft, from my experience this affect more to weight balance. especially when using thick overgrip, I can feel the balance difference when overgrip just up to handle and overgrip to the shaft.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    people wrap the grip up to the cone and some people wrap it up to the shaft.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

it's a doubles-players thing mostly.
    Sigit doens't actually hold it with his hand all the way up the shaft; most of the time they (all player with that grip) grip it with their thumb and/or index finger barely on the shaft.

The reason they do it can be: the added weight and change in balance. But a lot of them (me being one) are just annoyed by the end of the grip, the 'edge' if you will.
    I hate it as well, you grip high, and feel that edge/end, that sometimes comes a bit loose, it's maddening :eek:
    So, when you grip it that high, there's no way to be annoyed by it :p

6. Heong

Heong Regular Member

thanks for all your responses

Would gripping half of the shaft make the racquet stiffer??

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

no, it wouldn't...

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Gripping half way is a player's preference so gripping type will vary from person to person.

9. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

The reason why I grip my racquet to the shaft is because my sweaty thumb slips off the cone whenever I play a net shot, so I grip like that to prevent the slip.

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If you want a stiffer shaft, do what Shoji Sato does. Wrap some electrician's tape or the Yonex finishing tape around the shaft (cover the whole shaft). I've tried it before, the shaft does feel stiffer.

11. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    It has been discussed before,i believe.That's why we called it Sigit's style.It's commonly seen used by double players.I believe that's applied so that they could play faster,more control while playing in the front court during the game.As u know,Sigit mainly stands in the front while he is still playing with Chandra wijaya.

Another reason,is that they don't wanna cut off the grip excess..so they just grip em to the end.=P

12. Heong

Heong Regular Member

thanks for all your responses!

I can see many reasons why they grip it high now. ty ty

Now i shall grip all my racquets like that.
    It looks good, balances the racquet, comfortable to hold near the cone & easy to apply!

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The hand grip position on the shaft is changeable, as it should be, for different situations.
    As the racquet you have is a fixed length there are times you will need to have a shorter racquet, say for the short serve, playing shots in front in doubles, and to improve maneuverability to handle shots hit to your body. You then "shorten" the racquet length by gripping it higher up towards the shaft. Magic, isn't it? There is more-you can also "extend" the length of your racquet by holding it at the very end of the butt cap. This extra length gives you more power and increases a racquet's swingweight. Now you know why ladies singles players like the very long grip. As you already know, there are many positions on the handle/grip ranging from the very "short" to the very "extremity".

14. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    This is definitely a player preference thing. And yes, I ususally cut my grips to length, but if I don't have scissors, it goes all the way past the cone.
    Personally, I hold the racket near the cone almost all the time, and I like it unwrapped. For some reason, it feels "correct" to me. With grip, it feels strange...

15. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I put my grip just a little past the cone and I tape it onto the shaft. No real risk except when you remove the tape or the grip, it might take some paint off. If my thumb needs to go onto the cone, that's just extra padding and grip in some tight situations. Better safe than to lose a point over thumb cone slippage for whatever shot :p

I think some of the pros actually only wrap half of the handle during training leaving wood exposed to fix their holding techniques! That's just not safe!

#15 Optiblue, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008