Is it possible to start playing at 15/16?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by KiraMayz, Aug 14, 2008.

1. KiraMayz

KiraMayz Regular Member

---

I'm sorry to post such a long thread, but I really don't know what to do. :(

#1 KiraMayz, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i think if your aim is to compete internationally, it may well be too late to start, unless you're really naturally gifted, ala Taufik.

if your aim to be, say, a county league player, then you still have plenty of time to get to that level. i've never been to chester so i have no idea about the clubs / training where you live but some of the other members might.

if the club is too far away to travel on weekdays by bus, could you perhaps try car pooling with a mate or something? in any case, like i said, if you aim is the latter then i wouldn't be discouraged yet. the most important thing, at the end of the day, is to enjoy the sport. not all of us can be lin dan, in fact, it's only a very, very, very small minority.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I feel there are several issues involved here, so let's tackle them one at a time.

I feel that you are looking to badminton to make other problems go away. You are, quite understandably, unhappy about your parents' divorce and your mother's working away from home. You say you have contemplated suicide.

It's entirely normal to feel unhappy when circumstances are very difficult; and it's also very common to contemplate suicide (thankfully, it's much rarer for people to act on that idea). It's also normal to attempt displacing those problems onto some other focus (in this case, badminton).

I know that I've done all of those things in the past. And I'm glad that I didn't kill myself. What a waste that would have been! :cool:

Sport can become an extremely positive part of your life, but it's unlikely to make you feel better if the sources of unhappiness are elsewhere. Dealing with the problems more directly would probably be more effective. I'm not going to offer advice about that here: I don't know enough about you, I'm no expert, and forums are a poor setting for such things. All I will say is this: don't neglect the real problem. Find people you are comfortable talking to, and talk things over with them. You could also try counselling if you wanted.

Now let's think about your badminton.

Ask yourself this: why do you play badminton? What is it that you enjoy?
    • Is it the sport itself? Do you find it fun?
    • Is it only the winning, the achievements, the respect, and the recognition?
    • Is it the social element?
    • Is it the fitness benefit?
    If you only enjoy winning and achieving, then you should probably give up. Objectively, you are extremely unlikely to reach world-class standard now. You are also pretty unlikely to reach professional standard.

Of course, you can still try. But becoming a professional athlete requires a huge commitment. It also requires some funding! Moreover, if your motivation is entirely external (winning-based), then you will probably not be able to sustain it through the demands and disappointments of a professional athlete's career.

Alternatively, you could try being a less of a perfectionist. You could simply play the sport, enjoy it, get some coaching, practise, and progress as far as you can or want to.

For what it's worth: I started when I was about 16. I'm no professional; I'm just a competent club player, and a coach. I'd love to be a professional badminton player, but realistically that was never an option for me.

Moreover: had I somehow become a professional player, I would have had to sacrifice a lot -- such as my higher education, probably, which was top-notch; and my cave explorations, where I found new places that no-one knew existed; and my various projects (example); and my badminton coaching (no time for coaching if you're in full-time training).

All these things would be impossible if I had dedicated myself to being a professional badminton player. And here's another: at the age of 27, I just started my first business. It's all rather exciting. :)

Probably, you're too late to compete at the highest levels. But you can still enjoy the sport, and you can still compete. And, while you are envying those professional players, remember that they have had to sacrifice a lot in return for their achievements.

Make the most of what you have, rather than wishing you were somebody else, or wishing you could rewrite your life and start badminton training at 4 years old.

#3 Gollum, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

One more thing to think about:

At the end of their careers, professional players are often left wondering what to do with their lives. One day Lin Dan will be too old for world-class competition. It's a difficult readjustment. I remember listening to a talk by Simon Archer, where he discussed life after badminton and after injuries; for all his blokey anecdotes, it was thoroughly depressing.

The grass is always greener...;)

5. nanteos

nanteos Regular Member

Hey, well i started playing when i was 15/16 and im now playing in the first division of the conwy leagues. Its not a major league but i am still learning and playing as many times as i can. I play at a club called stella Maris in deganwy(conwy) not far from chester.

But as long as you put your mind to it and try as hard as you can. You will always improve. If you want to talk to me i will private message you my msn. Because there are plenty of oppertunities for you to get better and i am now starting to play in a few big local tournements example the Welsh Senior Series. And i have just turned 18. Please feel free to speak to me and i will try and help you as much as i can :)!!

6. KiraMayz

KiraMayz Regular Member

--

#6 KiraMayz, Aug 14, 2008
  7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hurrah! Me too. :)

Sounds to me like you'll enjoy any and all training and coaching.

It might not get you to world-class level, but training will take you a long way. And here's the best bit: the better you get, the more fun it becomes (in my experience, anyway). :)

Badminton is such a subtle, interesting game.

Very, very few people get to do that. :(

8. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Hi KiraMayz,

Sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time at the moment, but I am glad to hear that you have discovered the wonderful sport of badminton. :)

I didn't start playing badminton until I was about 25 and I always wish that I had started playing earlier, but sadly it's one of those things that you can't change and you just have to play the hand you're dealt the best you can.

I just played socially for about 6 years and loved it every time I played, and it helped me through some very bad times when it seemed like badminton was the only positive thing in my life.

After that I got more serious and joined a proper club and my aim was to get into one of their league teams and once I'd done that I found a whole new level of enjoyment. Since then I have continued to improve and even had some coaching.

Yes I think most of us would have liked to be Lin Dan, but sadly we can't. Also as Gollum said top badminton players have to train very hard and give up a lot to be successful. At the end of the day the important thing is that you enjoy the game and no matter what level you play at you can still try to get better and achieve things.

Whether it's beating a particular player or pair, whether it's playing for a club or doing well in a tournament, mastering a certain shot or playing for your country (after all you are still young enough).

Though I will never be good enough to be the world number one, one day I might be the top player in my club, or be the captain of the 1st team and win all my league matches. I play against lots of players in their 40's, 50's and 60's who are very good players and one day I hope I might be as good as them. Maybe even one day I might represent the county in the veterens league or maybe even win a gold medal in the over 60's category.

Most of the players in the forum probably wished that they had started earlier but remember there is always something to try for and there is always something you can achieve, even if that is just staying fit and enjoying yourself. And who knows, maybe one day you will have children of your own that you can start coaching from the age of 5 and they can have the chance that you never had.

Best of luck with your badminton, and don't forget there are always plenty of people here at BC who will have a friendly word and some encouragement when you need it.

Take care,

Alaric :)

9. Blindsided

Blindsided Regular Member

school
    Be a man and do it.

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I started at 14.5 years of age, and lots of people around me were telling me that I 'suck' and that I started too late. I tried hard to improve and I look at myself now, those people who told me all those things, I beat them already this year. It's never too late to start, but it's just an advantage to begin playing earlier.

Try hard, prove that it's never too late to start, and you'll feel good about yourself.

The beginning is always the hardest, but it'd be all smooth once you get used to it.

11. badminto

badminto Regular Member

Student
    I noe how u feel Kiramayz, I myself started when i was 14 years old. I was also disappointed taht I couldn't have started earlier, since i would love to become a pro. But eventhough thats the case I still try my hardest to improve. Up till recently I onli go traing once a week and the location of the training place is 1.5 hours from where I live but i still go cause I want to be better. I recently found a new training palce so I will be going to join and train harder. I guess what I'm trying to say is that just do ur best and enjoy it as much as u can. Oh don't think about being suicidal, eventhough badminton is fantastic, its not worth it to throw away ur life after all ur onli 15/16, u still have ur whole life ahead of u.
    If it'll make u feel better I noe this guy who started when he was about 11/12 n now he is about 14/15 n in that 2/3 years he has rose from a beginner to a 2nd ranked player in my state. So all u can do is try ur best and be the best u can be.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Colin Haughton used to be England no.1 and competed internationally. He started the game at the age of 16. He is the exception.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The most famous late bloomer in top class badminton was Han Jian, a former world mens singles champion. Han JIan took up badminton late at the age of 16.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    But that was 30 years ago. The game has changed.

15. KiraMayz

KiraMayz Regular Member

--

#15 KiraMayz, Aug 21, 2008
  16. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Stop complaining, I wish and most of us wish we could play badminton every day but we just cant.

Its not too late for you, I started playin at 21, am 22 now & competing in the club leagues & I am greatly improving now compared to a year ago.

The chances of you being a pro are slim but you could def become a gud county player atleast my friend if you work hard & try to learn as much as you can, play better players, you learn a lot about ur weaknesses :p

17. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    That is great news, I am glad to hear that you have found a coach.

But remember that having a positive mental attitude is very often the difference between those who succeed and those who don't.

So . . . you WILL progress A LOT now that you have found your coach! :)

Good luck! :D

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Not that long ago, as Han Jian was playing with players of his time like Misbun, Marten Frost, and Icuk Sugiarto. He was world champion in 1985 and retired in 1986. He was the national badminton coach for Malaysia and along with Yang Yang guided Malaysia to win the 1992 Thomas Cup. Players who were under his coaching team included Rashid Sidek, Foo Kok Keong, Rasif Sidek, Jalani Sidek, Cheah Soon Kit, Soo Beng Kiang, Rahman Sidek, Ong Ewe Chye, and Wong Choon Hann. BTW, Han Jian was the most consistent player of his time. He had never failed to reach at least the quarter finals in every tournament he played in, which was an exception rather than the rule. More often he either reached the semi-finals or finals or he won the tournaament outright. Not bad for such a late starter at 16.

19. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Dara Torres at the Beijing Olympics, 2008, age 41.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dara_Torres

3 Silvers, including one in the 50 meter freestyle, where she lost by .01 seconds.

It's all mental, sir, and if you believe you can go somewhere, then you can. True belief will take you where you wish.

20. foreverfree

foreverfree New Member

Student
    I had never really played serious badminton until I was 14, and since then I have not had a consistent practice schedule or coaching. I am 16 now and I am better than most of the people my age I play against, even those who have been playing since they were like 5.
    You just have to want it. Follow your dreams. You can still be amazing even if you start late.