Chest soreness/pain?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Shinto, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Shinto

Shinto Regular Member

After a particularly hard badminton workout my muscles are sore, but occassionally, my chest gets a small pain that only occurs when I breath in deeply and lasts for the remainder of the day (note that the pain disappears so it doesn't match the descriptions online. it doesn't come back for awhile and when it does, it again stays for just that day). I looked online for answers but they all involve last sharp or dull pain rather than one associated with deepness of breath.

I'm wondering if this is simply because my lungs are working harder than they are used to. Could this be fixed by simply becoming more fit and doing these difficult routines more?

As for my current condition: I'm a bit over 18, I've been playing for more than 3 years. I have only had this issue when taking particularly hard private lessons (repetitive jump smash/full court attack), doesn't happen in tournaments (although I've only played doubles in tournaments, have yet to play singles)

#1 Shinto, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

I think you should see a doctor

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You may be pushing your body a bit too hard.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Chest pain can mean a lot of things. It is unlikely that Google, nor a well-meaning BC member, is going to be able to diagnose your specific problem. Is your pain in a very specific area? Like an area you can point to with a finger? Is it sharp or dull?

Seeing as how you are so fit otherwise, let's hope that you simply strained one of the small muscles between your ribs. Or irritated a rib where it joins the breastbone or where it goes from bone to cartilage. Those things will settle.

But there is a wide range of things that could be going on, so let a medico see you for a proper diagnosis. Good luck.

5. Shinto

Shinto Regular Member

Thanks, I've asked my mom to let me see a doctor. She's a bit skeptical... so it may take some convincing.

However, the pain is gone today as usual and it didn't hurt when I played badminton today. I may be pushing myself too hard, but I never really feel the effects till after I'm done playing: I was pretty sore today after yesterday's workout.

To Fidget: it's right in the center at the bottom of where the left and right ribcage meet. i suppose you would call it sharp, but the pain is really not all that large. it's not something that would make me wince or anything, it's just there.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I suspect this is just some minor inflammation at the rib-breastbone joint. Nonetheless, it is wise to see what your doc thinks.

BTW I think it's amusing that your mom is skeptical ("Suck it up, Junior!"). It's such a refreshing change from the overprotective moms of the world.:)