maybe a stupid question ...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kevin, May 31, 2002.

1. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    But when your oponent drop in a corner in a officiel game and it's a little to high so you can smash on it and the guy is still at the net. and you smash in his eye.
    I had it yesterday in a fun game and would to know that there are any rulez about that?

2. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Did the shuttle bounce off his eye back into your side of the court, or did it just drop below the net?

:)

3. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    no just in his eye :s
    I know you may not hit with your body the shuttle back i already did and "the damn bastard :p" said it was a fault :)

4. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

May be you should have hit him harder and take him out of the game altogether!

;)

5. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    i didn't meant to do that, but i drop the shuttle and he drops back a little to high and when he come up i just want to smash . But are there any rulez for?

6. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    No.... if it touches him then it's your point........ however.... there's usually an "unspoken" rule that everyone understands at club... not to smash at people... for competitive games in must win situations you should do watever you have to to win though.. heh

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    as a courtesy, all players should not try to aim for their opponents bodies... besides, if they're right at the net, and you're smashing from right at the net, what are the odds of them blocking it? just smash at the sides..

8. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    you should apologize to him after you hit him, just for sportsmanship

9. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    i apologized me hundred times. But if a drop is a little to high , it's normal you smash it. but he was just 30cm for me. And he was still down when i wanted to smash he just come up when i smashed :s
    But oké now i know there aren't any rulez for it.

10. gerry

gerry Regular Member

maybe a stupid question ...
    But when your oponent drop in a corner in a officiel game and it's a little to high so you can smash on it and the guy is still at the net. and you smash in his eye.
    I had it yesterday in a fun game and would to know that there are any rulez about that?

as a courtesy, all players should not try to aim for their opponents bodies... besides, if they're right at the net, and you're smashing from right at the net, what are the odds of them blocking it? just smash at the sides..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kinda of agree with the last statement to a point, don't deliberately aim for the net player with a smash near the net but he should see it coming and either put his racket in front of his face or turn his back as I do ( coward..I know ) then give his partner verbal abuse for putting him/her in such a vulnerable position....only joking.
    I've been playing and coaching for over 27 years and during the course of a rally will aim for the body to restrict the return especially the right shoulder area on a right handed player, of course I always apologise out of courtesay if I hit them, I would never hurt anyone intentionally, another instance would be when receiving serve, one return is to aim for the server or his partner for the same reasons as before.

I've just found this site recently and must say that it's so good to hear other players opinions although I don't agree with them all but still find them interesting.
    I do wish though that people wouldn't use the term "short service" it's a low service, short infers falling short of the service line.

While I'm on my hobby horse, what do others think of some of the "calls" in badminton, to me there are only 2, "yes" and "no" usually from the receivers partner to the receiver during service, maybe sometimes "leave" can be used. I've heard players call "watch" "wait" what does that tell your partner other than put doubt in his mind if he was jumping backwards to smash down a flick serve. what's your opinion.

11. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

During the rallies, I would only say "no", meaning don't hit it 'cause it's going out, and "mine". After the rallies, I'll be a bit more explicit!

:)

12. gerry

gerry Regular Member

yes...other than receiving serve like during a rally I may call "yours" or "mine" with any shots that both of us could take, such as an central hit attacking clear when we are in a forward defence or when you are in attack and the shuttle is just a shade too high for the net player to kill, but even then if I'm the net player, I try and make a quick decision and duck down to let my partner know visually that it's his....sometimes I still think I'm in my twenties and still jump for it but it usually ends up being a quck dink down to the forecourt area which is ok but it's not a kill, most of the time it's best to leave it for my partner especially if he's young and got a better jump than me.

#12 gerry, Jul 22, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2002