Malaysia Boleh Dilemma: What's Next After Beijing? (my last thread)

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Pemuda, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Ok, we ended up with one silver. Can we consider Beijing 08' a success for Malaysian badminton? To me, a little yes but more to no. Yes, because the last time we won something in badminton was back in Atlanta 1996. Thats 12 years ago. And 12 years is one heck of a long time, especially when we consider ourselves as a badminton powerhouse.

Dear Malaysians, it is gonna be painful. And lets be upfront about it. We got found out in Beijing big time. Our men doubles despite the hype and talk were simply not good enough. In our MS, WCH has passed his sell by date ages ago. Yes, WCH is a nice guy and all, but facts are still facts. He was simply not good enough in Beijing. LCW, he did very well in his run-up to the final. He packed off SDK and LHI nicely. BUT when it came to the final & LD, he simply fell apart. Many here are saying LD was awesome last night, BUT I say LD was made to look awesome by an ordinary LCW. LCW played great badminton on his way to the final but last night, the lad fell apart and frozed. Skills and technique wise, I rate LCW and LD the same. Stamina wise, I rate LCW slightly higher than LD. But when it comes to the big game, mentally and temperament wise, LCW is very weak. I am not putting down LCW, I am just saying things as is. And last night LCW simply crumbled under pressure and handed LD the gold on a platter.

The only shuttler in the MAS camp that came out of Beijing 08' with credit is WMC. She has an outside chance to win a medal and she gave it all. I believe had she took LL to a rubber, she would have won. And then maybe she would be amongst the medals ...

London 2012 is 4 years away. Do we have any up and coming shuttlers in our production line to step up? Or are we gonna depend on a 30 yr old LCW and the glamour & glory seeking KKK/TBH again?? And lets be honest, a 30 yr old LCW aint gonna win in 2012. Beijing was his last chance.

I read in the Star papers today that YKH may be stepping down and Rashid Sidek will be taking over. I think changing YKH is not the remedy to our ills. To replace YKH with Rashid is a handiplast job. We need to relook at things from top down. Firstly, we desperately need professional administrators so those fat cats in BAM & NSC gotta make way. Then we need to re-look at our selection and youth program to ensure we have a steady supply of emerging talents. We also need a head coach who is strong in character and is single minded in driving success. YKH and Rashid, if he takes over, dont possess such traits. We need someone like LYB to come onboard and allow him to run the ship without any interference (and this can only be achieved without the politicians and their fat cats in BAM/NSC).

We have the best training facilities. We have good incentives from the government. In Rexy and co, we have one of the best coaching staff on board. What we need now are a bunch of administrators who know how to administer and a head coach to crack the whip so that we can use our top training facilities, incentives from the government and coaching know how to produced winners on the world stage. We also need to drop the pampering and subsidy mentality.

London 2012 is only 4 years away. And trust me 4 years will come before you know it. Here's the reality of our badminton, in MS, other than LCW, we have no one in the horizon. WS, absolutely no one other than WMC. MD, some decent hope in the fuzzy pair. Forget about KKK/TBH.

Either we wake up from our current malaise or end up empty handed, without the gold again in London. And believe me, the signs are there that we are gonna end up with nothing in London 2012. We aint gonna win anything chanting Malaysia Boleh, except make a lot of noise.

Ahhh yes, this will be my last thread. I am leaving on 25 August (after the Olympics). I would like to take the opportunity to thank all for the debates. No matter how fiery some were, I enjoyed it all. No hard feelings.

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Top man Pemuda. Good luck.

As for me, I would like to leave this forum also - for now. It was enjoyable to debate, and argue also. Sure we traded insults too and got some back in return. All is fair.

All the best until we meet again.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well ... something will work out, I guess.

Weak answer I know, but what can I (or the rest of us) do except to sit, watch and hope for the best. All we can do is shout Malaysia Boleh and ride through the ups and downs. And watch some good badminton in the process.

4. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Pemuda you leaving us? :( :(

I hope not permanently!

5. Zealous

Zealous Regular Member

Why do you guys have to leave this forum ?

:confused:

6. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    i really don't understand you guys .... your boy loses in the finals to the number 1 player in the world, in enemy territory, and you act as if he's a dissappointment .... a failure??
    Wake up! I think you guys are living in a dream world to think that it's the gold or nothing. I don't know if you realize this but here are the absurd results that according to you guys would have been satisfactory:

1. LCW should win the gold by beating LD, the no. 1 player in the world, in China. Anything short of this is nothing great at best.

2. KKK & TBH should win the gold otherwise they're just full of air. There's no reason why they should lose. Nevermind if they lost to the eventual gold medalists.

The Olympics is suppose to bring the world together in friendly competition. In other words to facilitate peace and friendship. With all the hard feelings I'm sensing in this thread, I think you guys have the wrong idea about the Olympics ....

Peace.

#6 smashmouth, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

cheers and good luck to your future, pemuda:)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Many valid points except for the above. When one plays against a player in the zone, all will all look very ordinary. I'd say an awesome LD made LCW look very ordinary - not the other way round. LCW tried changing the game but LD coped with it really well.

9. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Hey pemuda, where you leaving to?? in this cyber age, you can always reach BC whereever you are . Man, if you leave, who's gonna shave bald in 2012?? Who are the "boleh" fans gonna trade punches with? Aw......dun go, stay man...if you wanna take a sabbatical, fine.......you can always come back as "orang tua".....:D Peace.

10. lipans

lipans Regular Member

MS - Hope TCS, Arif will rise and take over LCW position. Such a burden for LCW to carry MAS MS flag alone in international competition. But still want to look LCW for few years to come until the young lad mature enough.

MD - Fuzzy - time to replace CTF/LWW. KKK/TBH Should split them - what I see, KKK is an ego-centric person. More suitable in pairing with a women in Mixed Double. Not an offence to him, but it's a compliment to make MAS mix double a better chance of getting medals in any tournament. MAS should look more serious into this event too. TBH - should be with someone else that suit his personality.

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Goodbye, Pemuda. It was refreshing, reading your rants, though I must say your choices of words almost always instigate arguments in the forum ....

Anyway, like Cheung, I do agree that LD's superiority made LCW look more inadequate. Yes, LCW did not play to his top potential, but winners always impose their game against losers.

LCW had been under tremendous pressure alone since all his teammates fell by quarterfinals, so his silver medal finish is still one big achievement. It is a huge step forward compared to the debacle on home soil at last year's World Championships.

12. zack_kissey

zack_kissey Regular Member

student
    i agree a lot wit pemuda.
    but lcw did his very best to reach the final and we, as malaysians, had to appreciate this effort.
    wat i suspect from the match is dat ld was playing beyond world no.1. i dun wan to say much but i think he took steroids. LOL. juz kidding.
    and yea, forget bout KKK/TBH. i would wan to see Fairuzizuan/Zakry pair to shine now after Beijing Olympics.
    and to my perspective, i think MAS would hav a REALLY HARD TIME to find a new MS shuttler who is as powerful as LCW.
    there's lots of strong players, waiting for their time to be exposed to the international scene, but i know BAM is not smart enough to do so.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Still improving, right? :) The trend is in the right direction - beter than teh 2007 WC. I just wonder if LCW can continue longer. He matured more slowly than LD and BCL on the international scene. He may just outlast them. However, CJ will be tough to handle.

#13 Cheung, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Err, to outlast the CHN players, LCW will have to import the secret of longevity, so far only mastered by the Danes. :D

And you are right, CJ is putting on huge muscles ala LD ......:eek:

15. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    well, like hcyong said, we can only pray, sit, watch and hope for the best! :D

16. victory

victory Regular Member

Well for me its simple. We still work hard towards our goals. Our country sportsmen and sportwomen still have to regroup and fight harder and smarter that's all. After all, coming back with a silver medal in badminton MS is still a breakthrough. On top of that, in badminton we still see young talents poping up in the double department. We still have to dream big and work harder.

Good luck pemuda!:)

17. arthurkii

arthurkii Regular Member

maybe LD is just too good that he made LCW looked as if he crumbled under pressure ?

18. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

At the moment we just need 'fresh blood' to take over. i am worried for MS, WS, WD and i dont think we have a good XD pair. For MD i am kinda relieved cuz we have the Fazzi kids, but what about the rest? Julia Wong is Malaysian No2 WS, but i just dont see her reaching even the top 10 ranking.

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Wow...so Pemuda is resigning from BC Forum now?
    LYB-fan is trying to make a come back for 5th time...........it could be like LD-fan

20. hoiboy79

hoiboy79 Regular Member

I still can't digest LCW's loss yesterday. I am very proud of him for getting the silver medal, but just the way he lost, it hurt me to see him lose that bad.